Hi to everyone!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Annie G

It's been a long time for me posting. This will be my 3rd year as a landlord after a long 26 year dry spell. The wait was well worth it. I ended up with 8 pair my second year and fledged around 40! My first year was an sy pair in a thg. They fledged 6! This year is slow going. I think I have 4 pair and 4 single adult males. The weather here in central Wisconsin has been awful. I'm hoping more will come in the future. Hope all the wannabes are fortunate this year. Best of luck! Annie :wink:
Keep trying and keep your chin up, its easier to see the martins coming!!
BillieJR

Wow! 26 years for a dryspell is definitely a LONG time! Congrats on getting started again. Do you have a lot of purple martin colonies up your way? There are not many around my area. The closest fairly large one I know of is about 10 miles south of me. Other than that, hardly any at all that I am aware of. I keep my eyes open for them everywhere I go but don't see any.
Billie from south central Wisconsin
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Annie,

Welcome back as a martin landlord. It has been slow but migration is picking up. At this rate , the SYs will be here before some of the ASYs.

Ed
Annie G

Thanks Billie! Yes there are quite a few colonies around here especially down on the river. I live about 1/4 mile from the Wisconsin River. I'm up on a hill and can see it below. Im guessing that's why it took so long for me to attract a pair. All I can say is keep trying and research what's available for you on this forum. What kind of setup do you have?

Thank you Ed. I'm glad to hear your doing well also. The birds definitely love the gourds. I have one mss trio and they don't even look at it. I'm thinking of taking it down. I have 2 gourd racks with 12 gourds on each one that I can add 6 more on each rack. Then that's it for me. I too believe in taking care of what you can handle. It was a lot of work last year with just the 8 pair. :shock: I'm hoping that some of my overflow will let someone else start a colony.

Ann
Keep trying and keep your chin up, its easier to see the martins coming!!
BillieJR

Annie - we have 2 aluminum houses that each hold 12 - have had them for years and success with them but nothing the past 5 seasons. This year we also have put up 4 Troyer verticals and 4 Troyer horizontals. I''m picking up some great ideas here to use, so I hope to get out there this weekend to put them to use. I would like to turn the 2 houses into housing for 6 each but probably isn't going to happen this season anymore. My husband has COPD and his health issues keep him from doing too much at a time so it seems to take forever to get things done that I want done but I'm trying to be patient with him and with the martins. I'm like the mother of impatience so it's really frustrating but hopefully, in time, we get martins back. Ed was kind enough to loan me his Dawn Song cd so I am hoping that will pull them in. I hadn't even thought of doing that until he suggested it. I really appreciate his help on this.

Even with several colonies and the river near you it took that long for you to get them - seems like they woulda found you sooner. But at least they have finally found you so all is good now. :)
Billie from south central Wisconsin