Buckeye State Migration

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
BigT

How is everyone's Martin return going so far in Ohio? Were at only about 50% of our typical numbers for this time of year, and even though the weather hasn't been all that bad, the numbers are not growing. Haven't seen a single barn swallow either which is pretty strange. Just curious how everyone's year is progressing.
sugarcreek
Martin Colony History: 2016 First Yr.

We had 4 Sub Adult pairs nest last yr. Fledged something like 12....So since we had all sub's last yr. we were not expecting to many early ASY , Had our first ASY male show up on April 6th which I though was early for a young Colony ....Have not seen a Martin since, and this guy has been working like crazy but has had no luck attracting a mate....Hopeful for this week to weekend to see a couple more ASY's, otherwise last yr. the subbys showed up at our colony on May 23rd hopeful for some of them. Hoping my ASY male holds on that long. :-( , we do have a nice amount of TS and Barnie's around.
2016 - 1st Yr. 14 Compartments 4 Active Nests 9 fledged, 2.25 Fledged per Active Nest
2017 - 2nd Yr. 36 Compartments 18 Active Nests 65 Fledged, 3.61 Fledged per Active Nest
2018 - 3rd Yr. 54 Compartments 43 Active Nests 169 Fledged, 3.93 Fledged per Active Nest
2019 - 4th Yr. 108 Compartments 67 Active Nests 209 Fledged, 3.12 Fledged per Active Nest
2020 - 5th Yr. 108 Compartments ?
BigT

The sub-adult females seem to really like the ASY males. Hopefully he will find a girlfriend soon. We've got lots of tree swallows but no barnies as of yet.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

I am obviously not in Ohio but Memphis area (southwest TN) is right in the Mississippi Flyway. If purple martins use the Mississippi Flyway, then this area should be an earlier measure of migration to the MidWest including Ohio.
All of the available compartments in Collierville, TN that I oversee are full and now martins have to move on.
Barn swallows are everywhere. I hear and saw the Common Nighthawk last night which is one day earlier than last year. No chimney swifts or cliff swallows yet.

Bottom line, the MidWest which I assume includes Ohio better get ready. Here they come.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
BigT

That's the best news I have heard in awhile! It's been a really weird year. My birds arrived two weeks late, but but arrived in a group of seven. Have only gotten five more since. Had 48 pair last year and fledged 205. Looking forward to the influx for sure. Thank you for the update!
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Today is a special day for my personal colony. I had put up my modified Trio Grandma 2 weeks before in a new location. Never expected to have any martins on the first year. I had studied the newest modifications from PMCA including double compartments, SREHs, vents and insulated attic.
Late afternoon of April 26, 2013 I went outside and immediately heard and saw a SY pair fly up to and land on the Trio Grandma. They were chattering so loud and cheerful that I know they were as happy about "their new home" as I was about them.
Happy day.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
BigT

Congrats!!
John Evans

Hi All, quick update here. We now are pushing 50-60%. hard to get exact numbers as they still are claiming multiple gourds. Possible SY female has arrived. The martins keep trickling in. Nest building has begun in earnest.

Have barn swallows so get ready north. Also visited Ashland Ky last weekend and many swifts fliting around. After the martins arrival the second favorite sign of spring for me is the Whip-o-will and the last 2 nights we have heard them!

Here's hoping the numbers pick up and have a successful fun martin season!
John
PMCA Member
sugarcreek
Martin Colony History: 2016 First Yr.

Well tonight ASY male number two showed up hopefully there are some girlfriends close behind !
2016 - 1st Yr. 14 Compartments 4 Active Nests 9 fledged, 2.25 Fledged per Active Nest
2017 - 2nd Yr. 36 Compartments 18 Active Nests 65 Fledged, 3.61 Fledged per Active Nest
2018 - 3rd Yr. 54 Compartments 43 Active Nests 169 Fledged, 3.93 Fledged per Active Nest
2019 - 4th Yr. 108 Compartments 67 Active Nests 209 Fledged, 3.12 Fledged per Active Nest
2020 - 5th Yr. 108 Compartments ?
birdbrat

After watching the martins come in to roost for the night I am pleased to report that my numbers are increasing. If I had to guess I would have to say about 60 birds so far. No male subs that I could see yet, but with all the activity I could have missed them. There was a lot of the usual fussing and fighting over housing that comes with new arrivals. I'm still hoping for a full house (87 compartments) but if it doesn't happen I will back off and rebuild with whatever I end up with. Good luck one and all.
BigT

I had another half dozen or so show up myself yesterday. The pace is finally picking up. They must love that strong South wind.
handyman315
Martin Colony History: Colony established May 20, 2017 after three unsuccessful years. Persistent and aggressive Tree Swallows plagued the site, but beyond learning - and practicing - to control them, was the return in 2017 of a 2016-SY-M previously unable to find a mate. As a handsome ASY-M, he brought along two females and a swagger that soon put the Tree Swallow issue to rest. As the anchor pair, he and his mate hatched all six of their eggs into fat and healthy babies into what settled in to be a three-pair, flourishing new colony with up to 11 birds total, including 3 SY-M trouble makers.

Just north of Lebanon (in SW Ohio), sole sighting in 2017 has been one solitary ASY male with a visit so fast and fleeting about three weeks ago that I could have imagined it.

My location in the prior three years saw many visitors, including ASYs in April; not this year.

Followed the Emergency Tree Swallow Procedures from the PMCA and really think they are under control this year, but won't be sure until/if PMs show up. Their nest (her nest) on a shepherd hook 35' from PM gourd rack looks finished; probably see eggs any day now. They have run off every TS that has showed up, and there have been many.

Normally see 3 or 4 Barn Swallow pairs; not a one this year.

My 4th season, first three with no nest building.

C'mon subbies!
2019- 19 Nesting Pair Fledged 84 babies. The Pattern is Full.
2018-ASY-M Arrived April 6, Despite Snow & Cold, Joined Soon by Mate & Two Adult Pairs, Season of 11 Nests W/48 Babies
2017-FIRST-YEAR LANDLORD! :grin: Resident SY-M from 2016 Returned (as ASY-M) on May 20. At Least 11 Resident PMs, with 13 Fledged from Three Nests and Operated a Daily Flying Circus :grin:
2016-Late-Arriving SYs, Resident Lone SY-M, Unable to Find Mate
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
BigT

Good luck to you. It took two years for us to attract any. Had one nesting pair the first year any showed up.