cavity clean out

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
tbone8705

Probably a dumb question but does the female eat the egg shells after hatching babies or does she carry them outside? Getting close to 16 days now and I have been watching the ground for egg shells and so far nothing. I know we can feed them crushed egg shells so I was just wondering if her body needs what the shells have in them or does she just discard them outside.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Normally they carry them off & drop them.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
klcretired

tbone8705 wrote:Probably a dumb question but does the female eat the egg shells after hatching babies or does she carry them outside? Getting close to 16 days now and I have been watching the ground for egg shells and so far nothing. I know we can feed them crushed egg shells so I was just wondering if her body needs what the shells have in them or does she just discard them outside.
Not only do the parents carry off the egg shells and drop them , they also carry off the Babies Poop sac and drop them as well
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com