How are the numbers with other WI landlords?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Trishy
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 2009 with 2 pair.
Currently I have 3 gourd racks with 24 gourds. One gourd rack will be for sy arrivals only.
Bo Eleven gourds 20

I have 1 ASY male and 1ASY female, but they are not staying in the same gourd at night. Today is the 1st good weather day we have had in awhile, and I am glad they are still alive. I have been putting crickets out, but they didn't eat any. I usually have 10-15 pairs by now. I expected to see more show up today, but just the 2 came in tonight. Just wondering how everyone else is doing on numbers. I see numbers are way down everywhere. Like everyone else, I am praying it is just a late migration, but I am beginning to wonder!
Trish
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Trishy,

Last year on this date I had 15 ASY. Today I have 12. Last year on May 2nd I had 30. Next week or so will be busy. Although it seems slow, my records are only down a few birds. Although it may mean nothing, I saw my first barn swallow today. Last year it was April 25th.

There are things we can control, and things we cannot. If I get enough martins to have enough to return next year, it is a good year. Religiously monitor every nest to maximize fledlings and consider your year a success. I will venture a guess that this year will be average, whatever that is :)

I am wishing you a great year.

Ed
Trishy
Currently I have 3 gourd racks with 24 gourds. One gourd rack will be for sy arrivals only.
Bo Eleven gourds 20

Thank you Ed. I hope you have a great year also. I should probably clarify a little bit. The last couple of years, the bulk of my older birds have shown up within a couple of days of each other, and that has happened within the 1st week or so, after my 1st scout. Before that they kind of just trickled in. I realize it is early yet, so I guess I should just be patient. I actually wish they would all wait to come until after the 1st week in May, when the weather is much better, but that just isn't how they do things.
Trish
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Trish,

A couple more ASY showed up today. It looks like four pair and chaos with the unmatched birds today.70° and sunny here today. They must have fed well as they came in to roost about 45 minutes before sundown. Last week they would not come in until almost dark when the weather was raining and cooler.

Ed
asop

Delavan here. Haven't seen a one :oops: No sparrows either!?
tlragsdale

We are in New Richmond, WI, which is about 10 miles NE of Hudson, WI. Last year, was only our second year of successfully having "martins live with us" (2 pair the first year, 6 last year). Tonight, we had 7 PM's, with three pair and one single ASY male. Up until yesterday, we had been at two pair for the past week-or-so.

Weather pretty marginal, so crickets have been placed for them the past few days. Now, if I could only keep the pesky bluebirds out of the crickets, we'd be in-business.

Good luck to everyone on a successful PM season.
Terry & Michelle
New Richmond, WI

2005 - 2014 Hard luck stories
2015 - 2 pair, 12 eggs/12 fledglings
2016 - 6 pair, 35 eggs/35 fledged
2017 - 18 pair, 88 eggs / 85 fledged.
2018 - 23 pair, 119 eggs/115 fledged.
2019 - 31 pair, 137 eggs/133 fledged
Trishy
Bo Eleven gourds 20

Thank you for the input you guys. I am still at 3 ASY's, but a couple have finally paired up. I saw them go into the same gourd tonight. With the nasty weather for the next week, I hope these guys remember the crickets in the pan. I may have to flip a few at some point. Hope I can keep them alive. Good luck you guys.
Trish
BillieJR

Monroe, here. I have not seen a purple martin this year yet. :cry:
Billie from south central Wisconsin
nbaum

I am in Whitewater WI and I am really down from last year. I see about 4 and last year I had 18 pair! Don't know where they are.
nbaum

All that worry and overnight about a dozen Martins showed up. Apparently they are taking their time this year.
BillieJR

In looking back I see where our purple martins returned on April 12th in 2012 and on April 26th in 2011. I'm watching but seeing nothing yet. It's rainy and about 70 here today. It's supposed to get cooler but be rainy and windy the rest of the week thru the weekend here, in south central Wisconsin.
Ed Svetich-WI

As soon as the snow stopped, the gourds emptied and all of the martins were singing and chasing each other about 2 this afternoon. High tempersture was 43°. They fed well yesterday when the high was 67°.They cooperated as they returned to the gourd racks and I was able to count 16 ASY males and females. Most are paired up. They were seemingly unaffected by this mornings weather. I am up another 1 in the last two days. They are trickling in. A year ago I had 22 here, so that is close. A friend about 20 miles east of me near Harrisville had an ASY male return two days ago. No big influx yet. Tomorrow will be in the 50s with SW winds so they will be fine. Maybe a few more will arrive on the SW winds.

Ed
BillieJR

Ed, are you right on McGinnis Lake? I have a sister who lives up at Dellwood - how far away from there are you?
Ed Svetich-WI

Not far, sent you email.