The barrow pit is coming down!!!!,

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

I just found out the property beside me has changed owners! I've known this young man for a while! I've done work for him! He said today he's clearing the fence rows and barrow pit! He won't start doing it until he takes the corn out this fall. This will help me in the years to come with Hawks and owls if I get martins! If they don't stay this year, this should help next year to attract them! My patience can take a deep breath and relax! All the trees in the back ground will be taken down! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I could just keep going with the smilie faces! I'm happy!

Larry and Judy here goes some more trees!!!! :lol: Image
Sharon from southern Illinois
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

This is the view from the other Side! Much better!
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

Wow what good news. Every little bit helps.
BTW what is a barrow pit?
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

Wow what good news. Every little bit helps.
BTW what is a barrow pit?
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
Larry Kronemeyer

:lol: omg Sharon, wait til I tell Larry!!!!
Too much!
Judy.
Larry and Judy Kronemeyer
est. 1999
1-12 compartment Trendsetter and 4 gourds(crescents)
1 T-14 and 4 gourds (crescents)
12 gourd rack (crescents)
Member PMCA
taxidermy lady

It is a hole that they dug out to build the highway! It fills up with water when it rains a lot. But is not deep enough to hold the water! They barrowed the dirt from that spot to build up the road! So it's called a barrow pit!
All it is, is a misquito nest, snakes, briars, honeysuckle, and over grown trash trees!
The tall trees is an old fence row that borders the property.
He said it will take several years to get the whole property manicured but it will help me in the future!
Makes me believe that dreams do come true! Because I have wished those trees weren't there for the last 5 years since I've been trying to attract martins!
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Sharon,
Those trees would look menacing to a purple martin. When leafed out, they could harbor a hawk or owl. A swoop from the top of one of those trees could be death to a unsuspecting martin. Especially new fledglings.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
taxidermy lady

Yeah your right Mark and that's why i dont have martins! What's a girl do when it's not my property! Hopefully the farmer gets on it this fall! He has a farm to pay for now and is need of all the ground to farm!
If I get martins this year I will patrol the tree line like Ray does. The trees are about 120' from the first pole!
James Strickland FL
Martin Colony History: 2017 Had a lot visitors no Matins nesting, hoping 2018 will be different.
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

Sharon that is great news. As posting, every little thing helps.
PMCA MEMBER
klcretired

Sharon that is great news. more martins for you in the future
one of my problems at my location is my neighbor's trees...I am being encroached
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
taxidermy lady

Yeah it really is a problem for some of us! I have cleared a lot of under brush but those tall trees are pretty noticeable! If I would have known it was going to sell those suckers would have come down this winter! :grin:
MichaelH
Martin Colony History: 2015 28 cavities 2 pairs
2016 big upgrade 56cavities 16 pairs great year
2017. 76 cavities 36 pairs
2018. 146 cavities

Looking at pics of your site I thought it looks ok as is ,looks like its very open already from one view of the pics I am not sold on having a site totally open if you have trees 150 ft away sounds good to me but I am no expert,I only say this as my site has a line of pine trees and a large maple well I think it is a maple 50feet from my housing on the east side and a garage and house on the west side about 40 feet away so really only two open flyways to the north and south but them birds come in right over the trees and into the housing and I am right in town ,I guess it just takes the right birds to like your site and start that colony ,hope all your hard work pays off and you get that colony started sharron the very best of luck will be eagerly awaiting reports of your successfully first year
Mick
2018 146 cavities.
taxidermy lady

Yeah I know Mic! The one up the road is by trees! So it does take that right pair to come in and want to stay! My front yard has some trees but this tree line is closer to my site! I'm certain the farmer is serious about taking it down! He has an excavator, and catapillar! This guy isn't lazy!!! :)
avesrun
Martin Colony History: Home Site: 2017- 0
2016 - 1st pair, fledged 5
Satellite Site: 2017 (3rd season)
34 pair
Fledged- 102

Oh you mean BORROW pit lol!. That sounds great TL! Tell him to save one tree so your martins don't have to go too far for green leaves to line their nests :grin: !
PMCA Member
Home Site: 2012-15 visitors
2016 - 1st pair, fledged 5
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
Satellite Site: 2014 - visitors
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2016 - 13 pair, fledged 44
2017 - 31 pair, fledged 118
2018 - 44 pair, 163 fledged
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
taxidermy lady

Thanks Tim for correcting me! :lol:
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Hey Sharon,
I always thought your site was pretty much open as it is. Of course if you take down those other trees, I can't see where it would hurt. So I see were I'm not the only one who didn't know what a barrow pit was Lol.! Have you seen any Martin's at all.? I have a total of 4, 3 ASY Males and 1 ASY Female. My little Collard Dove has 2 Chicks. She is so tame I can't believe it. I have to literally push her off the nest to see the babies. The Male is more skiddish.
I've dug out my Pond to about 40 feet wide and 75 feet long. Plus the Creek is 20 feet wide on both ends and I can always go bigger. I want to see what the water does next November when we have our hardest Rains.?.?
Sure hope you get some Bird's this year - Let me know if you do.!!
Good Luck.!! :!:
Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
taxidermy lady

Thanks Rodger! I'll be contacting you in a few weeks! :)
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Hey Sharon,
Just got back from Church and going out to eat. Heard Martin's singing as I got out of the car.! Walked out to my Racks and counted 12 to 15 or more on my Racks, going in and out of Gourd's and flying overhead. WOW - What a beautiful site and what sweet Music to my ears.!! Hope they keep coming in to Home. They are always Wecome here and they know that this is a Refuge and Sanctuary for them.
Take Care.! :!:
Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
taxidermy lady

That is great news Rodger I'm still waiting on some to get in town and pay me a visit! :)
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Call it a barrow pit, or call it a borrow pit, its called both names in the dictionary
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps