Sharp Shinned Hawk.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
j6745l@gmail.com
Martin Colony History: 2016, put Troyer pole with 6 units Horizontal with Conley 11 Tunnels.
Had some visits (two sittings) last year. A visit this year 2017.

I'll be damed!! I was out in the yard checking my Troyer Gourds trying to figure where I was going to put the Songbird Magnet..

I had turned on the songbird to make sure it was working and went back in the house for something and I look out and here is one very Large Sharp Shinned Hawk sitting on top op the Pole. I hadn't had the morning song on for a total of maybe 4 minutes.

Not a good sign.

John
klcretired

j6745l@gmail.com wrote:I'll be damed!! I was out in the yard checking my Troyer Gourds trying to figure where I was going to put the Songbird Magnet..

I had turned on the songbird to make sure it was working and went back in the house for something and I look out and here is one very Large Sharp Shinned Hawk sitting on top op the Pole. I hadn't had the morning song on for a total of maybe 4 minutes.

Not a good sign.

John
Hi John,
This Topic about Hawks /Hawk attacks has been discussed a lot for years here on this site and rather than post a lengthy post and take up a lot of room posting on the subject I sent you a email , as Purple Martin Landlord's we all will have to deal with the Hawks /Hawk Attacks sooner or later.
You may loose a few martins but please don't give up or stop hosting Martins they need our help. If you email me back I can send you info to hopefully help you deter or slow down the hawks at your colony. I will help you in any way that I can

Your Martin Friend,
Kenny
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com