Here They Come! (I think . . . )

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
handyman315
Martin Colony History: Colony established May 20, 2017 after three unsuccessful years. Persistent and aggressive Tree Swallows plagued the site, but beyond learning - and practicing - to control them, was the return in 2017 of a 2016-SY-M previously unable to find a mate. As a handsome ASY-M, he brought along two females and a swagger that soon put the Tree Swallow issue to rest. As the anchor pair, he and his mate hatched all six of their eggs into fat and healthy babies into what settled in to be a three-pair, flourishing new colony with up to 11 birds total, including 3 SY-M trouble makers.

Anxiously watching the SW Ohio skies, as PMs have progressed this way, and just been reported in the area yesterday. Played Daytime Chatter today for the first time and within a couple hours had attracted a pair of TREE SWALLOWS! :-( They are "old friends" from last year and I know how to handle them . . . by moving them a gourd to the back of my property.

Remain intensely excited this year . . . see my signature for the unusual nature of my three-year failure record, especially last year (2016).

Good luck to other landlords . . . hoping that this cold snap (especially in the South) has not done serious damage to the PM population.
2019- 19 Nesting Pair Fledged 84 babies. The Pattern is Full.
2018-ASY-M Arrived April 6, Despite Snow & Cold, Joined Soon by Mate & Two Adult Pairs, Season of 11 Nests W/48 Babies
2017-FIRST-YEAR LANDLORD! :grin: Resident SY-M from 2016 Returned (as ASY-M) on May 20. At Least 11 Resident PMs, with 13 Fledged from Three Nests and Operated a Daily Flying Circus :grin:
2016-Late-Arriving SYs, Resident Lone SY-M, Unable to Find Mate
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
Buckeyefarmer
Martin Colony History: 2015- 0 visitors
2016- 0 visitors
2017- built T-14+songbird magnet, 6 pairs,15 fledged
2018- built 2nd T-14. Anxiously waiting!!

Looks like you're close to making it happen! A few years ago I rebuilt an old PM house my grandfather built. The first year I had a nesting pair at least until late June. We had a bad thunderstorm and lightning struck the house and literally blew it to splinters. The bolt even split a large sandstone at the base of the pole! Needless to say my feathered friends did not survive. I haven't had a nesting pair since. I think I'm jinxed! :lol:
Mark
Central, OHIO.
handyman315
Martin Colony History: Colony established May 20, 2017 after three unsuccessful years. Persistent and aggressive Tree Swallows plagued the site, but beyond learning - and practicing - to control them, was the return in 2017 of a 2016-SY-M previously unable to find a mate. As a handsome ASY-M, he brought along two females and a swagger that soon put the Tree Swallow issue to rest. As the anchor pair, he and his mate hatched all six of their eggs into fat and healthy babies into what settled in to be a three-pair, flourishing new colony with up to 11 birds total, including 3 SY-M trouble makers.

Have still not seen my first PM this season . . . and have been watching, a lot. (Saturday evening, 3/25, warm.)
2018-ASY-M Arrived April 6, Despite Snow & Cold, Joined Soon by Mate & Two Adult Pairs, Season of 11 Nests W/48 Babies
2017-FIRST-YEAR LANDLORD! :grin: Resident SY-M from 2016 Returned (as ASY-M) on May 20. At Least 11 Resident PMs, with 13 Fledged from Three Nests and Operated a Daily Flying Circus :grin:
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
eyeamtheman
Martin Colony History: Super colony

Good luck to y'all.
Johnny
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Handyman - do you have a picture of your site? Maybe we could give you some helpful tips if you posted a picture. :wink:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
handyman315

Thanks, will be happy to post some pictures - just took a new set to better show my current layout and surrounding area. Will post them soon.

Sorry for the slow response; used to get email notifications of replies, but musta turned it off by mistake.
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
handyman315

I always struggle to post pics on this Forum . . . duh . . . trying . . .
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
handyman315

General layout of my wanna be PM colony for any advice/suggestions/thoughts of other members; 2017 will be my 4th season, with no nesting pair in prior three years despite numerous visits and in 2016 a SY-M clearly claimed my site despite being unable to find a mate. Gourd rack is 30' from my house/patio. Closest trees are the ones visible in the picture, probably 300' to 400' from the closest PM house. This is flat, rural housing on multi-acre plots interspersed with some large remaining - and active - farms. There is a PM super colony less than five miles away.

Left-most bird on the gourd rack is a (live) Tree Swallow; "his" gourd is barely visible behind the barn on a shepherd's hook. Was successful last year in actually removing a gourd from the rack after the pair carried in nest material, eventually having to move them out of line-of-sight of the gourd rack which they were determined to police despite fledging a nice brood in the back. Other two birds in picture are PM decoys.

Some additional "frets" in the next pics . . . prospective PM landlords fret about everything, i.e., we imagine all kinds of woe keep us from starting our own PM colony. To me, the most obvious shortcoming of my site is - water. The closest pond (and it is a nice one) is about 1/2 mile away. The "worst" thing present near my site is a nesting pair of Red-Tailed Hawks a couple plots to the right in this picture. They seem to claim this entire vicinity as their own . . . more definitive picture pinpointing their nest coming.

Will post a few more pics, and will sincerely appreciate any ideas.
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
handyman315

Just to prove that I wasn't kidding about the Tree Swallow (today). Fearless little guys, most times they won't even fly away when I peck on the gourd pole! :P

All my PM housing is still closed; haven't seen/heard even one PM this 2017 Season (today is March 27 and quite warm).
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
handyman315

As mentioned previously, one of my major "frets" . . . Red-Tailed Hawks - nest in very center, very high. Although the nest and their "home" is about 1/2 mile away from my PM housing, it is within direct line of sight and they regularly patrol this entire area; often see them with captured prey, and have seen/heard their young in prior seasons. :x
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
handyman315

Play Dawnsong and Daytime Chatter from the patio . . . probably pretty obvious that I have the perfect old, retired guy vantage point to show off my PMs and teach the grandchildren how to appreciate them . . . just need some nesting PMs. :cry:

BTW, house next door is the daughter and son-in-law; he has taken a very keen interest in my hobby and would clearly keep this colony going once I make that big migration myself. :|

This is my last pic. Comment away members, you won't hurt my feelings. What am I doing wrong?
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

handyman315 wrote:I always struggle to post pics on this Forum . . . duh . . . trying . . .
It is frustrating. I have downloaded but they disappear.
They say you have to down size the pics. Have not figured how to do that with iPhoto. So I just don't post pics. Wish they had a tutorial.
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
Mhoover
Martin Colony History: Started with 2 pair in 2014 - 7 eggs -7 fledged

Handyman315
You have IMHO an excellent location from which to start a colony. A source of water that close should not be a detriment. I have a couple of small ponds about that distance from my colony and did not have any problem once I learned what to do to start a colony.
I also have a pair of red-tailed hawks that actively patrol this area and the martins do not sound an alarm when they fly over so the martins do not consider the hawks as being a danger.
Predator guards on the poles is something that you should have to keep your colony safe from climbing predators. Snake netting on the poles is something else you need to consider to protect your birds. Anything to make the martins feel safer will make your site even more attractive.
2017-5 pair
2016-4 pair- 18 hatched-18 fledged
2015-1 pair -Both ASY- 6 eggs-5 fledged
2014-2 pair- 1 ASY-M/SY-F-1 ASY pair - 7 eggs-7 fledged

PMCA Member
handyman315

Mhoover

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Especially glad to hear that the Red-Tailed Hawks may not prey on my PMs. The hawks certainly have plenty of other open fields to choose from.

Predator guards have been on my mind; however, I've been guilty of thinking that without any nesting PMs, I have nothing to guard.

March 29 (today) and still not a single PM spotted near my site this season..
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
sugarcreek
Martin Colony History: 2016 First Yr.

Be patient, since your a new colony your best chance will come from May 1 until the end of May, we had a new colony last yr. and our first birds didn't settle until May 23rd and we are in central Ohio we ended up with four nesting pair.
2016 - 1st Yr. 14 Compartments 4 Active Nests 9 fledged, 2.25 Fledged per Active Nest
2017 - 2nd Yr. 36 Compartments 18 Active Nests 65 Fledged, 3.61 Fledged per Active Nest
2018 - 3rd Yr. 54 Compartments 43 Active Nests 169 Fledged, 3.93 Fledged per Active Nest
2019 - 4th Yr. 108 Compartments 67 Active Nests 209 Fledged, 3.12 Fledged per Active Nest
2020 - 5th Yr. 108 Compartments ?
handyman315

Thanks sugarcreek.

Normally I would not be looking for anything except ASY passer-bys this early, and waiting for the Subbies to arrive (later); however, a SY-M clearly claimed my site last year despite not being able to attract a nesting female.

It has been my hope this year that he might return (early) - as an ASY adult . . . at least it's intriguing to contemplate. How will I know him in his ASY plumage? Not a problem, he has such a distinct and fearless/friendly personality and spent so much time here last year that I feel certain that I will know him. We became "buds".
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
handyman315

May 4, 2017 . . . UPDATE . . . .

I remain an old guy without a PM colony, maybe worse, so far in 2017 --- only ONE fleeting (didn't even land) visit by an ASY-M about three weeks ago.

With three (more) days of cold (lows in hi 30s) and rain predicted here, maybe this is a good thing (for now).

Two nearby Subadult-Males have been reported by PMCA, one as close as 10 miles, so it's gotta be a matter of any day now that subbies show up at my site . . . or there really is something seriously wrong this year.

BTW - I have instituted - VERY CAREFULLY AND PRECISELY - the PMCA-endorsed Emergency Tree Swallow procedures, by moving the shepherd's hook Tree Swallow (occupied) gourd to EXACTLY 35' of my gourd rack pole. The TS pair (well, the female) has built their usual comfy looking - and back-placed, safe and feather adorned nest (no eggs as of yesterday) . . . wish Martins built a better nest . . . they could take a lesson from their Tree Swallow cousins . . . fearless little rascals with humans, e.g., my granddaughter and I can nearly touch them . . . but I digress.

The TSs are doing EXACTLY (for now) what the Emergency Procedures say they will do, i.e., run off ANY and EVERY TS that dares approach their gourd OR THE PM GOURD RACK. For example, if THREE TSs are observed in my area, the other two are ACTIVELY running off #3. :grin: But . . . but . . . I still fret over what will happen when (if?) "my" subbies arrive, i.e., will the TSs chase off the PMs? They sure as heck perch on the PM gourd rack . . . although . . . I've never seen them run off any bird species but their own, i.e., TSs. :|

So . . . we (my granddaughter and I) wait . . . and watch . . . a lot.

Best of luck to the other PM landlords, both real and wannabe. :mrgreen:
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
Mhoover

The Tree Swallows that nested here before I got my colony going ran off every martin that even got within a 150 feet of my racks. I was lucky enough to finally have an ASYM that wanted to nest here bad enough that he fought back. He was my founding male.
The Tree Swallow gourd was 50 feet away from the gourd rack at the time. Not all Tree Swallows are as aggressive as that pair were but it can happen so I recommend keeping a close watch what is happening.
2017-5 pair

PMCA Member
handyman315

Thanks Mhoover,

Pretty sure this was a big part of my failure last year, i.e., although my spunky little SY male could/would/began to hold his own against the Tree Swallows, they vigorously ran off many of the timid SY and ASY females that he brought home, with the rest of the females just not interested.

You bet we'll be watching to see how the TSs treat the PMs this year. This year I've moved the gourd to near the PMCA recommended distance, last year it was at least 150 feet away . . . just right for those little green and white fighter planes to come ripping at the gourd rack when PMs showed up. Two things were different last year: 1) The TSs started to build in a gourd ON the rack before I got it moved, & 2) Their relocated shepherd's hook home was MUCH farther away from the gourd rack.

Thanks for taking the time to tell about your experiences and to give me input.
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
Mhoover

Handyman
I have often wondered how many PMs those Tree Swallows managed to run off in the previous years that I never saw happen. They had been nesting here for three years when this happened.
Good Luck!
2017-5 pair

PMCA Member