Nor'easter

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

I am so glad I have no Martins right now. 12.5 inches & still snowing. Winds are to pick up soon.

My houses are snow covered. The frizbee I use for egg shells is piled high.

Toy in PA
Attachments
IMG_6859Snow March 14, 2017.jpg
IMG_6859Snow March 14, 2017.jpg (70.17 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
IMG_6856Snow March 14, 2017.jpg
IMG_6856Snow March 14, 2017.jpg (73.86 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
PMCA Member
Larry Kronemeyer

Toy,
WOW! What a storm! We missed most of the snow that passed through our region and received only a dusting. It headed out your way to meet up with another weather system ,that would be your nor'easter. We have cold now...freeze warning, will probably lose a good portion of the local peach crop.
No scout here yet. But there are reports close by in the state. We lost our oldest scout to injury last year, so I expected our return date to change. I hope the weather breaks before any birds show up but I have crickets, mealworms and 24hr hand warmers ready.
Is that a flight cage in the background?
Stay safe and warm inside. Keep your friends here posted on how you are doing.
Thanks for the pics.....quite amazing to see.
Judy
Larry and Judy Kronemeyer
est. 1999
1-12 compartment Trendsetter and 4 gourds(crescents)
1 T-14 and 4 gourds (crescents)
12 gourd rack (crescents)
Member PMCA
Dan G
Martin Colony History: Trying since 2014. Visitors, but no nests. Several colonies with in 6 mile radius.
2020- An SY male built a nest but could not attract a mate.

Hey Toy.
Nor'easter for sure. That is a pretty picture, but i didn't see your parrot. :grin: You are north and east of me. We got about 8 inches so far, and expecting a few more. I believe the totals in your area are going to be over a foot. Good thing the martins are still south of us. hang in there.
Bellefonte PA
2014, 1st year-a few lookers, no nests
2015, 'Spot' SY male, here every day from 5-28 to 6-23
2016 added a perch wire between house and gourd rack
offering 22 cavities, T-14 plus 8 gourds
2016, multiple visitors from 6-20 on. Almost daily
2017- Lots of visitors late in season.
2018- Adding another T-14. Few visitors
2019- Hopeful but stopped holding my breath
2020-SY male built a nest.
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Deluxe Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 8 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I care for a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also care for a Deluxe Gourd rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, care for a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

Glad your martins are not back yet.

Is that your starling trap on the window/wall?
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Dan G wrote:Hey Toy.
Nor'easter for sure. That is a pretty picture, but i didn't see your parrot. :grin: You are north and east of me. We got about 8 inches so far, and expecting a few more. I believe the totals in your area are going to be over a foot. Good thing the martins are still south of us. hang in there.
Hi Dan:

We have 14 inches & still snowing. It can stop anytime now!!

LOL It's a tad cold for my Macaw to be outside. She doesn't like rain, let along snow.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
ToyinPA

Carlton wrote:Glad your martins are not back yet.

Is that your starling trap on the window/wall?

HI Carlton:
I'm glad too. Had to deal with this weather last year after they arrived. Wasn't easy to keep them fed.

Yep that's our starling trap. One year we caught a male Cardinal. He was terrified when we took him out. A Tree Swallow & a Blue Jay. Also many Starlings.

And if anyone is looking....the bird box/house on top of the lower clothes line post is for the HS. I posted about this in a different post a few days ago.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

ToyinPa ----- Wow that is some snow.. Looks like our place two years ago... We here in Southeastern Ohio, got lucky and the storm missed us.. So glad the Martins are not here also... About another week or two and they will be here.. Sure wish you good Luck in 2017... :wink:

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

PMCA Member
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Hi Toy;

Sorry to see you dealing with such brutal weather. I figured you were in for it over there. The mountains seem to have separated this part of the state from the bad stuff. We have only a dusting, but it is plenty cold. Hopefully the Martins will hunker down wherever they are and wait out this cold snap, we don't need any returning in the middle of this. Maybe this is winter's last gasp, let's hope so.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
Ravens5281
Martin Colony History: PMCA Member:
Name: Stu Silver III
Begin trying to start a Colony since 2014
Had 2 Martins Visitors stop by (2014)
(2015) 2 Martins Visitors passed through
(2016) 35 Days that Martins Visitors/Stopped by but didn't nest

ToyinPa, what's the post called about the house sparrows trap!!!

Thanks Stu III
PMCA Member: From Seymour, Indiana
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

My father-in-law was born in 1914 and relates that more wintry weather occurred when he was a young man. He was 54 years old and my wife was almost 16 years old when the second most accumulation of snow occurred in Memphis, TN on March 21-23, 1968 - 17.3 inches.
That is only one week away so it makes me aware that late cold weather can occur in the South. There is no expectation that will happen this year.
My mother-in-law was told never to plant her tender warm weather flowers until after April 15 but the Mid-South has had freezing weather after Tax Day so she delayed her planting until after April 30.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
John & Linda - KY

I grew up in central North Carolina. I remember, I believe it was March of 1960, when we had big snows on three consecutive Wednesdays. The roads were just getting back in shape to have school each time when it dumped on us, we were out of school for almost four weeks. Then we had to go to school on Saturdays to make up some of the days. -- John
ToyinPA

We got 17-18 inches total. Then the winds picked up & we had snow blowing everywhere. At times we couldn't see our garage. Many roads, especially those in rural mountain areas are still very bad, due to the drifting. The front end loader removed some snow along our street this morning. They're trying to get the street drains opened up. If we get rain it'll make the roads a major ice rink. It hasn't gotten above freezing yet, so no melting. It should warm up over the weekend. We want a slow melt so we don't get a flood.

When I was a kid it'd snow a few feet over night, & we walked to school, wading thru it. We climbed over snow banks to cross the street. No days off. It was the norm back then. Today if they think it's going to snow they close schools.

The bizzard of 1993 dropped about 36 inches on us & 2 days later we got another 30 inches. We had over 100 inches of snow that winter. It was piled everywhere. The streets were single lane & finding a place to park was a nightmare. They had to bring in the National Guard with their huge trucks/plows & push it all back. Sidewalks, that everyone tirelessly shoveled, were buried under 3 feet of snow after they went thru. There wasn't any place left to put it all.

Planting doesn't take place here until all chances of frost are gone. Usually late May. Even then we can get a late frost & have to cover all plants.

"Stu III"....it's not a house sparrow trap. It's a house we put up for 1 pair of house sparrows. It helps to keep the rest of the sparrows away & they let the martins alone. The box trap (PMCA) attached to our garage wall is for catching starlings. We also use the smaller wire traps the PMCA sells to trap sparrows.

The snow as all bown off the Martin houses. Due to warm temps we had uncovered them & loaded the nest trays a few weeks ago. I don't expect them for a few weeks yet, so we're good. If we get bad weather after they arrive I'm prepared to supplement feed & keep them warm. My husband just came in & told me a hawk is back flying around the neighborhood. He's been hanging around this winter. GRRR! He'd better not stick around & go after my Martins.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

I admire your perseverance from childhood to present. Is that why the martins refer to you as their "fairy martin mother"?
Are your T-14 houses made from wood or composite material?
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Ravens5281
Martin Colony History: PMCA Member:

Ok thanks ToyinPa, gotcha & never heard of this bc I've always been told to get rid of them all lol :lol:!!!

Thanks again Stu III
PMCA Member: From Seymour, Indiana
ToyinPA

4th Gen Martin Fan wrote:I admire your perseverance from childhood to present. Is that why the martins refer to you as their "fairy martin mother"?
Are your T-14 houses made from wood or composite material?
Mark.
LOL Yeah I guess I am. I do everything I can to keep them alive, healthy & happy.

The houses are from a company called "Northstar Plastics". They are made from a special plastic they use in dog kennels. I special ordered the red trim on the roofs (can't see it in these pics due to the snow). We also added lauan wood inside the trays to prevent splay leg. We like the houses. A quick wash with rag & soapy water & then rinse. I made covers so we can let them on the poles for winter.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
ToyinPA

Ravens5281 wrote:Ok thanks ToyinPa, gotcha & never heard of this bc I've always been told to get rid of them all lol :lol:!!!

Thanks again Stu III
We tried the trap eimate method, but the attaks got worse. So we gave them 1 house & so far it has worked. Sadly it doesn't work for starlings.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member