OMG, OMG, OMG It just happened to me!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Jacquie100

Hi,

Is this the correct material? And, do you have the dimensions for the finished pieces? I will measure our porches too, but just want to compare and use as an audit.
https://www.amazon.com/Polyethylene-Off ... B00CPRDN3W

What if we just use the wing guard or use the Crescent Shaped Plates to cover the Conely II? Will those work to deter the starlings?

Thanks!

Jacquie
Lewis

Jacquie,

The HDPE 0.125 thickness is the correct material for the porch elevators for Troyer gourds with Conley II sreh. Look at the last post on this page has a photo showing dimensions of the porch elevators. I would recommend using the PMCA wing guards (wep) . This modification has has worked for me, Mark and others on this board.

Lewis
Spring Garden Keeper
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Jacquie,
This is the picture which Lewis is referring to.
As a reminder, a trough must be made in the 1/8" porch elevator to match the dip in the Conley II entrance.

Okie will soon get to install the 1/8" porch elevators and PMCA wing entrapment protectors (WEP) on her Troyer gourds with Conley II entrances. I am going to predict another Lewis Mod convert when she gets them installed.
The starlings will try and even the smallest, cunning starling will abandon attempts to breach. Okie will not see starlings in or around her gourds again. One less thing to worry about in her colony.
If an English House Sparrow takes over one of her gourds, she will wait for the female to lay eggs, temporarily take off the WEP, set her Troyer-Haskell trap, trap the HOSP and then put the WEP back on. Piece of cake.
Okie will be excited that even the most robust of purple martins can freely enter and exit the Lewis Modification. She will appreciate all of the good advantages of the Troyer tunnel with Conley II entrance without starling breaches.
Attachments
Porch Elevator for Conley II Entrances.JPG
Porch Elevator for Conley II Entrances.JPG (28.14 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Jacquie,
The .125" (1/8") HDPE material which is in the Amazon listing you gave is the correct material. I don't remember how many gourds you have to modify. Just be aware that the 12" x 24" sheets in that listing will have to be carefully cut to optimize the material.
I hope that you concur with my dimensions, 2 7/8" x 5 7/8". I chose to fill the entire porch space because some people were not precise about centering the porch elevators on the porch and then my pre-cut troughs did not match with the dip in the Conley II entrance.
If the trough does not fit, you must acquit!
My son says I need to stick to my career and give up on humor. I can hear him now, "Dad, you are not that funny." I must admit that he is funny and especially when he is poking fun at me.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
4th Gen Martin Fan

I use crescent entrances in my Trio house but I feel that the Conley II entrance is easier for the purple martins to enter/exit.
If you convert from Conley II to Crescent, you will lose some of the advantages of the Conley II entrance and you still may have to apply the Lewis Modification to Crescent entrances if the starlings learn to breach the Crescents. That would not make sense to me.

Trust me I questioned every aspect of the Lewis Modification before I became such an advocate. Besides, before Mr. Lewis retired, his career demanded that people's lives be protected and it would not surprise me that he protected many of us. Why would such a man not apply those virtues to his hobby, purple martin landlording?
Mark.
PMCA Member.
Jacquie100

Can't thank you enough for the detail and guidance! Now just have to wait on supplies to arrive. We have 28 gourds So far the offending starling hasn't found a mate that can also enter but he brings potential candidates by every morning. As soon as I see him either I go out or I send the dogs. He flees to a nearby tree until I go in or dogs come in. Funny thing is the martins all just stay and watch the show...never fly off during the commotion! The first gourd he entered (18) is now occupied by an adult pair. There was a bit of a scuffle but the Martins prevailed. The starling is now focused on one of the three unoccupied gourds on the bottom level of the rack.

Thank you all again for the help!

Jacquie
Chris B

I have one female starling that can get into S&K crescent gourds. Even though I cleaned out the trash they put in the gourd this one has picked out, it rebuilt. I pulled out the trash and 3 blue eggs last weekend. This one will really be trouble if I can't shoot it.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods. Birds did very well.
2020 56 SREH gourds.
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

Get a nest box trap. The starlings & sparrows around my place appear to have caught nesting fever. Trapped 2 sparrows & one starling today.
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
Foxie

What kind of mfg. gourd company represents your pictured gourd. Like the vents etc. How has the opening been for keeping out Starlings etc.
any help is welcomed on information on the rack etc. Thanks. Working to replace our rack with cedar arms as per the PM. Org Plans. Thanks
4th Gen Martin Fan

Foxie,
The first picture on page 1 of this topic is a Troyer Vertical Gourd with Troyer Tunnel and Conley II Entrances.
The second picture on page 2 of this topic is a Troyer Horizontal Gourd with Troyer Tunnel and Conley II Entrance.
Both pictures were supplied by Mary Bruffett (Mama Bruff on this Forum).
Mary installed PVC 90 degree elbows on her Troyer gourds for ventilation. If you notice in the second picture, her PVC vents were plugged with PVC plugs for the cool spring weather. She takes the plugs out when the daytime highs reach 90 degrees.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
Lewis

Thanks Mark, This what I wanted Brad and Terry W to see. Both have been absent from this board for a long time and are unfamiliar with the history of the "Lewis Modification" You were the one that immediately recognizred the value or importance of this modification and helped countless others in applying the modification. It is probably for your effort that this modification became known. Louise ask me to write an article for the Update and I feel honored that she and John Barrow are using the modification.
You have been able to duplicate the modification using 3 in pvc for the wep and adapting it for all sorts of houses and gourds.

Like I posted before, those of whom are not DIY's ,The PMCA WEP is crucial for making our sreh's starling resistant (proof) :grin:

This is in response to Mark's previous post.

Lewis
Spring Garden Keeper
4th Gen Martin Fan

Lewis,
The Spring 2015 Purple Martin Update article "The Lewis Modification - Wing Guards Help Stop Starlings!" is accessible here:
https://www.purplemartin.org/uploads/me ... ti-493.pdf
I feel that your modification is well explained and pictured in that article. I wish that more people would try it because the Lewis SREH proves itself.
I am glad that Mel at Hilltop Specialties is making the original Wing Entrapment Protectors (WEPs) again. Everything about the original WEPs were great for the Lewis Modification and for reducing wing entrapments.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
4th Gen Martin Fan

Top picture is the Trough cut into the Porch Elevator to accommodate the dip in Conley II.
Bottom picture is a Porch Elevator for Lewis Modification to Conley II. The light area is the trough to match the dip in the bottom edge of the Conley II Entrance.
The shaded areas around the holes are the 2 machine screw heads attach the porch elevator to the Troyer Porch and the rectangular shaded areas are where the PMCA Wing Entrapment Protectors (Wing Guards) push down on the Porch Elevator.
Attachments
Lewis Mod Porch Elevator Trough.jpg
(241.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Lewis Mod Porch Elevator.jpg
(304.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mark.
PMCA Member.