OMG, OMG, OMG It just happened to me!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Kyler
Martin Colony History: PMCA Member - Project MartinWatch - Enlarged Compartments - SREH - S&S Control - Mite Control - Predator Guards - Heat Control ( Vents and Insulation ) - Supplemental Feeding -

Manage 7 different colonies in Colby Kansas.

I don't know if this would work but could you just cut a piece of the PVC board or the Coroplast that was the width of the Entrance and then only come out about a couple inches? Or does the board have to cover the whole entire porch area? Would it stop starlings if it was like that or would they be able to pass it? Because I'm worried about if the porch would be slick from a little rain or something? Maybe not I don't know. But this would still allow a little bit of texture from the original porch.

Kyler,
Purple Martin Landlords of Northwest KS
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC9HDLGlbCmSYcSExIySwUQA

2013 & 2015 - 0 Pair -
2014 - 1 Pair - 4 Eggs - 3 Hatched - 3 Fledged -
2016 - 5 Pair - 27 Eggs - 24 Hatched - 13 Fledged -
2017 - 18 Pair - 102 Eggs - 78 Hatched - 69 Fledged -
2018 - 22 Pair - 115 Eggs - 92 Hatched - 86 Fledged -
2019 - 28 Pair - 144 Eggs - 131 Hatched - 125 Fledged -
2020 - 40 Pair - 190 Eggs - 136 Hatched - 131 Fledged -
2021 - ??
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

I suspect that Troyer stopped using the Modified Excluder entrance because a royalty has to be paid for each of these patented SREH.
The Conley II entrance is a modification of another non-patented SREH so no royalty is required.
A small family owned and operated company like Troyer must be careful to control costs to stay in business. I respect the Troyers because they provide good products and I want them to continue to be a viable company.
Lewis and others have shared their ideas with the Troyers for improving the Conley II entrance but I suspect that the cost of retooling is a problem.
I also assume that until the market demands a change, the Conley II entrance will remain the SREH on Troyer products.

I am sorry that the original poster, Okie, has dropped out of this topic. As you pointed out, many people do not want to modify original products due to a lack of tools, skills or time. I understand.
Mary, "MamaBruff", was not a natural fix it person but between her DH and her perseverance she applied the materials I provided to her like a professional.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

4th Gen Martin Fan wrote:Carlton,

One thing that the PMCA wing entrapment protectors (WEP) do in the full Lewis Mod is hold down the HDPE porch elevators from ever raising up along the edge against the Conley II face plate.
With the full Lewis Mod, I always recommend that the porch elevators be installed first and then the WEP installed second. That way the WEP can be installed to push down on the porch elevator.
Mark.
On PMCA website they say the WEP are not for Troyer gourds. So you are saying those are the ones I need to get? They will work? If so I may get those & hope I do not ruin the tunnel dilling a hole in the plastic. That scares me. Hopefully that will work by itself. But that eliminates putting on the trap so how would you know for sure starlings are not getting in unless you see one determined & failing?
It just does not seem the slick porch elevation is a good idea. Or what the heck do I know? You all use them with good results. If the porch elevator is used alone w/o the WEP, does the trap still work???
My friend says the birds tell all their friends to stay away from my place because I am dangerous! Wish that was true. Maybe someday the word will get around & all the S&S will be gone forever :roll: . One can only hope....and eliminate in the mean time.

I cannot express how much I appreciate all this help. You guys [& girl] are grrrrreat!
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them

4th Gen Martin Fan wrote: I am sorry that the original poster, Okie, has dropped out of this topic. As you pointed out, many people do not want to modify original products due to a lack of tools, skills or time. I understand.
Mary, "MamaBruff", was not a natural fix it person but between her DH and her perseverance she applied the materials I provided to her like a professional.
Mark.
Sorry Mark I just found your post. No, did not drop out, just busy with other stuff.
I may try your materials. I just managed to mount my TV on my porch, as my son used to say "all by myself". It took an entire day & a trip to Lowes to get the right size socket. Have to re mount it as I got it too low. Measured from the top rather than the bottom. Got disoriented with TV lying upside down on the table. I always do something wrong.
Your views on Troyer are appreciated & insightful. Thanks
I may email you but first want to know if trap will still work with the elevated porch.
Right now all gourds are closed off except the 2 I can see with the traps. Have yet to see a Martin and right now the sp have abandon my place.....yeah. Probably won't last. Neither pest has shown much interest in actively choosing a nest site. Just an occasional curiosity which promptly gets trapped.
Appreciate your dedication. Have a productive season.
Okie
PMCA member
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
Okie

Kyler wrote:I don't know if this would work but could you just cut a piece of the PVC board or the Coroplast that was the width of the Entrance and then only come out about a couple inches? Or does the board have to cover the whole entire porch area? Would it stop starlings if it was like that or would they be able to pass it? Because I'm worried about if the porch would be slick from a little rain or something? Maybe not I don't know. But this would still allow a little bit of texture from the original porch.

Kyler,
Thinking like you Kyler. I was wondering if either scratching grooves in the PVC or gluing a traction material on the PVC would work.
What are the experts experience? Not necessary? No traction problems observed?
Okie
PMCA member
Ravens5281
Martin Colony History: PMCA Member:
Name: Stu Silver III
Begin trying to start a Colony since 2014
Had 2 Martins Visitors stop by (2014)
(2015) 2 Martins Visitors passed through
(2016) 35 Days that Martins Visitors/Stopped by but didn't nest

Keep everything close before u actually see a Martin!! Just leave the traps set & by closing all the other cavitys it will discourage the trash birds from wanted to come & look!!

Stu III
PMCA Member: From Seymour, Indiana
Okie

Done. The pests have 13 choices to get trapped. Everything else is not accessible. I'm on a mission to make my place very dangerous to them pesky flying rats. I actually hope the martins don't come until I've gotten more trash.
Actually saw 3 starlings taking a peek into but drat it did not enter the trap.
Okie
PMCA member
Ravens5281
Martin Colony History: PMCA Member:

That's the only way to go!!!
PMCA Member: From Seymour, Indiana
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Okie,
I apologize for my long winded posts.
I appreciate anyone who is determined and dedicated. Your trapping persistence, excellent questions and desire to learn are the characteristics of a superb landlord.
In my opinion, Troyer products are designed and built well. Like everything they are not perfect but can be upgraded with a little effort and time. Most starlings cannot enter the Conley II SREH but small and persistent starlings can.
The ribbed porches are an old design which is not necessary. A smooth, slick porch surface is not a major problem for purple martins entering and exiting. I know that some individuals worry about the slick surface but my experience is that it is not a problem. After years of watching purple martins enter without traction, I have removed all traction from all porches. If you search my posts, you will see that initially I used and promoted 3M tread traction tape. I know now that traction only encourages starling to try and enter a SREH.
The porch to bottom of SREH is too tall on Troyer tunnels. The first level of excluding starlings is a raised, slick porch. As you have read, some people use Coroplast corrugated plastic board. It is readily available, inexpensive and easy to work with. It has to be changed out every couple of years unless it is painted with Fusion paint to reduce UV exposure. It measures 11/64” thick so it is 3/64” thicker than 1/8” high density polyethylene (HDPE) sheet. As Carlton told you, it can be used by itself. The thicker Coroplast will make the porch almost flush to the bottom straight edge of the Conley II entrance. Please pay attention to his advice on maintaining the dip in the Conley II entrance. This dip is extremely important.
I have never used Coroplast corrugated board for the Lewis Mod. so I cannot vouch for its efficacy in this circumstance.

I use 1/8” HDPE for porch elevators like Lewis recommended. It has held up well to UV exposure, does not warp, and is especially slick. I cut the HDPE with a table saw and miter saw and then use a jig to drill 2 holes to mount the porch elevators to the ribbed Troyer porches. The jig is mounted in a drill press and allows me to drill the holes precisely so that the porch elevators are interchangeable. I use a rotary tool and sandpaper drum to grind a trough to match the Conley II’s dip.
I use stainless steel machine bolts and nylon insert nuts to hold the HDPE porch elevators onto the porch. It allows me to remove the porch elevators if I want to.
I do not glue anything to the Troyer gourd so I can reverse or replace anything.
To answer your specific question, the porch elevator (Coroplast corrugated board or HDPE) does not interfere with the Haskell-Troyer trap.
As a first step, you can try the porch elevators on your Troyer gourds.
If and when the porch elevators alone allow starlings to breach, then you can consider the PMCA wing entrapment protectors.
Since this post is getting too long, I will discuss the PMCA WEP in another post.
Mark.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
4th Gen Martin Fan

The Lewis Modification to Conley II entrances is not the shape or outline of a Starling Resistant Entrance Hole.
The Lewis Mod is a system of improving the Conley II. It involves raising the original porch level 1/8" with a smooth, slick surface. The porch elevator must not interfere with the dip in the Conley II.
Since some starlings can learn to use the upper outer corners of the Conley II to turn sideways to enter, then a PMCA wing entrapment protector (WEP) is installed on the outside of the Conley II. The WEP reduces those corners to prevent the starling from turning sideways through the entrance, stiffen the Conley II edges, wedge the starling down and prevent the starling from craning its neck to scoot itself into the entrance.
Mark.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
Chris B

I have S&K porch crescent entrances, and one of the natural gourds with that entrance has a female starling coming and going. Couldn't believe my eyes, but there it is. Bringing in nest material. I may close up that gourd until I can get a decent pellet gun, but I fear the bird will just go to another gourd.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods. Birds did very well.
2020 56 SREH gourds.
Tim m.

Hi Tim here from Iowa if you'll would feed starlings corn like we do up here they wouldn't be able to fit in conley 2.You have got to trap all year round. Every thing is out and ready for my feathered friend !!!!
I'm a member of pmca,iowa purple martin org. which has ask me to be a mentor of jefferson county,ia. and citizen assistant for purple martins of Griggsville,Il.
4th Gen Martin Fan

Chris,
Are you having a starling breach a Troyer Tunnel with Conley II or is the starling breaching the S&K Crescent SREH?
I had to modify the crescent SREHs on a mentee's S&K house to prevent starling breaches.
Attachments
S K Modified House.JPG
S K Modified House.JPG (172.6 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
S K Lewis Mod Crescent.JPG
S K Lewis Mod Crescent.JPG (37.18 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
Mark.
PMCA Member.
Chris B

Yeah, these are stock S&K entrances and porches. The female intruder is kinda small so she can squirm n - the ridges on the S&K porches may help. ASY males using the next rack(big bo V2) with S&K crescents and also gourd on the same rack as the starling invader.

I need a good .22 pellet gun / scope. Any recommendations? .22 is subsonic and I already have a good supply of pellets.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods. Birds did very well.
2020 56 SREH gourds.
Lewis

Mark, Thanks for posting these photos of a modified Crescent sreh. The first sreh I modified was a crescent on my Safe Haven house. I have posted some photos on this board. Mark, if you can find that post please do. I wrote an article that appeared in The Purple Martin Update. See above tips for 2016 "Lewis Modification-Wing Guards Help Stop Starlings" Spring 2015 issue. The reason the wing guard works is that it forces the starling to enter straight on and he can not side step his way in. Emil put it another way , Its like trying to step through two bob wire fences side by side verses stepping through two strands of bob wire on one fence. I'm an old quail hunter and have stepped through many a fence, trying to step through two would be impossible for me anyway. Starlings enter and sreh by coming at from one side ,lowering their profile, putting one foot in and pulling themselves in. The wing guard and raised porch prevents this. As I say in my article, I had been trapping and shooting starlings but I couldn't get them all. They are smart and will not let you get close enough to shoot and become trap wary. I am honored That Mark is such an advocate of my modification. He has helped several on this board who had severe starling problems put a stop to it by helping them make the modification.

Lewis
Spring Garden Keeper
4th Gen Martin Fan

Lewis,
You are referring your PMCA Forum topic dated 1/16/2012.
http://www.purplemartin.org/forum/viewt ... lewis+sreh
The pictures of your Safe Haven with Crescent SREH that have your Lewis Modification to Crescent SREH are in that PMCA Forum topic.
When I tried to copy the pictures and move them to this post the pictures will not format correctly.
Your explanation why the PMCA Wing Entrapment Protector works makes perfect sense to me.
I am attaching a picture of my two American Brittany females on point a few weeks ago. They are such good dogs - working the field, pointing, backing each other, and retrieving with soft mouths.

I am your advocate but you had the "flash of genius" to create this exceptional system.
I appreciate Okie's skepticism about your Lewis Modification and hope that Okie will give it a try.
At this point, I am losing track of how many mods have been successfully tested all over the US. So far, converts include a Mechanical Engineer, Ornithological Veterinarian, Physician, Dentist, Registered Nurse, and Biology Professor.
Mark.
Attachments
Maddie and Millie on Point.jpg
Maddie and Millie on Point.jpg (150.19 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Mark.
PMCA Member.
Okie

OMG Mark, absolutely no need to apologize. I LOVE to read your posts. Your detailed explanations allow a picture to be formed in ones head. And that's a good thing :wink:
Thanks for the explanation of the slick porch. I trust your knowledge & experience. You have made me a believer. I am going to do the modification with your help. I'm sure you can walk me through it. I will try to email you.
I'm thinking I will modify all but the 2 I have open now with traps to continue trapping until the martins arrive. However on second thought maybe that would encourage or teach them how to get in?? What's your opinion?
Lewis wow, what a smart man. Between you & Mark I am blown away by your observations of exact body positions starlings take to squeeze in. Amazing. Thank you for sharing your modification with us all. Of course that just makes more Martins safer & successful. Which is your motivation right. Gotta love you for that.
Now if you can just teach me to communicate with those pests & talk them into entering the traps. 3 of them came to the Trio today just to peek but not to try it on for size. :lol: Would have been happy to meet them [temporarily] up close & personal. Shudder. Up close they seem so evil with that long beak. And they are always downright angry they got caught.
Last year I saw many starlings peeking in the crescents on the S&K house I use to trap sp. Never attempted to enter. But it makes sense now that you have educated me. The porch is even with the entrance, no elevation. They have to bend down just to look in. Wow listen to me. I'm learning.
Please have a great season.
Okie
PMCA member
Lewis

Mark, Thanks for looking the post about the Safe Haven and my first modification of a sreh. At time I came up with this it was nothing short of a miracle. The starlings were making me question this endeavor. John Miller was my mentor at the time and he can probably attest to how up set I was. I continued to trap using a round hole THG with cling plate and H&S trap. Then the next year I tried it on the Conley II and now all 20 of my gourds and 12 crescents on the Safe Haven houses have the wing guard and raised porch modification. I have had no more starlings get in.
Thanks for the photos of your Brittanies. They are good looking dogs with the classic Brittany style. The photo brought back so many memories of my Brittanies. I started with Brittany Spaniels in 1972( That is what they called then) I hunted here in Georgia and made many trips to Kansas. I made good friends in Kansas and loved the country and the people. I ran my dogs in the Volunteer Brittany Club trials not far from where you live south of Grand Junction on the old U.S. Grounds. I have one old English pointer left and no longer hunt.
Thanks again for all you do for the purple martins. At one time I wanted to be a wildlife biologist. I guess this is as close as I'll get. We my wife,Edie, and I will be supplemental feeding our 17 martins tomorrow.

Lewis
Spring Garden Keeper
Okie

Hey Spring Garden Keeper, got your spring garden planted? Mines in & growing nicely. The cool seasons are my favorite.
Okie
PMCA member
4th Gen Martin Fan

Okie,
The PMCA Wing Entrapment Protector (WEP) is called Wing Guard by Lewis in his first PMCA Forum topic.
I actually like his name better but I use the term, WEP, so people can find them in the PMCA Shop, “Martin Market Place”.
Start with “Starling Resistant Entrances”, then “Starling Resistant Entrance – Misc.”, then “Wing Entrapment Protector”.
After I receive them from the PMCA Shop’s supplier, I drill 3 holes in each WEP. One hole on each side and one hole in the center of the arch. The center hole has two purposes. First, to center the arch with the hole for the Haskell-Troyer trap and second, to give additional attachment of the arch to the face of the SREH.
The WEP is attached to the face with three stainless steel screws. I do not glue the WEP because I want to be able to remove them.
I use the PMCA WEP because they are HDPE and are well made. They are perfect for drilling and securing to the Conley II face plate with screws.

The WEP does interfere with the Haskell-Troyer trap when it is screwed in place. However, it is easily removed to use the trap for English House Sparrow or for banding Purple Martins. It will probably not be needed for European Starlings because they will not be able to enter a full Lewis Modification.

In the past, I have the person order and ship the PMCA WEPs to me and then I send them the drilled WEPs and completed Porch Elevators together in a USPS Priority box.
I give specific instructions on how to drill the holes and install the materials onto their Troyer tunnels.
A completed Lewis Modification to a Troyer Gourds with Conley II entrance is pictured. A minor recommendation from the picture is to center the porch elevator left to right so the trough in the porch elevator lines up exactly with the dip in the Conley II entrance. Notice in the picture that there is less space on the left side of the porch elevator than on the right side
Mark.
Attachments
Full Lewis Mod on Troyer Horizontal Gourd.jpg
Full Lewis Mod on Troyer Horizontal Gourd.jpg (143.48 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
PMCA Member.