Crescent entry

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jfrew

Good morning,

I am new to this forum and will have my first purple martin house this year. I have acquired a beautiful wooden house which has traditional entrance holes in it. Is it possible for me to make my own crescent entrances? I was thinking of using 1/4 " exterior grade plywood with a good oil primer. The holes are also protected from the weather by the porch above it.

I know that I will have to make additional cuts to make the crescents work with the existing holes. I just hate the thought of constantly fighting the starlings and possibly losing a group of martins.

Thank you for any help you can provide me.

jeff frew
John & Linda - KY

Yes, specs are available. But the PMCA shop (and others) offer adapter plates you can use. The link to the appropriate page of the PMCA shop is below. -- John

https://www.purplemartin.org/shop/63/re ... nt-plates/
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

The plates are the best way to go. Its difficult to get the wood exactly correct, at the correct height, and you will need a caliper to measure the entrance that you cut. (the height is very critical.) The entrance needs to be about 1/8in above the floor if you use a tunnel or a porch.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Ravens5281
Martin Colony History: PMCA Member:
Name: Stu Silver III
Begin trying to start a Colony since 2014
Had 2 Martins Visitors stop by (2014)
(2015) 2 Martins Visitors passed through
(2016) 35 Days that Martins Visitors/Stopped by but didn't nest

Please Make sure u have a repeater nest box trap to catch & kill the trash birds bc that's the only way to have a successful colony!! Just thought I would let u know!!
PMCA Member: From Seymour, Indiana
Name: Stu Silver III
Begin trying to start a Colony since 2014
Had 2 Martins Visitors stop by (2014)
(2015) 2 Martins Visitors passed through
(2016) 35 Days that Martins Visitors/Stopped by but didn't nest
jfrew

John & Linda - KY wrote:Yes, specs are available. But the PMCA shop (and others) offer adapter plates you can use. The link to the appropriate page of the PMCA shop is below. -- John

https://www.purplemartin.org/shop/63/re ... nt-plates/

Thanks for your help. One more concern.......the compartments are not enlarged/roughly 7x7. From what I have read these compartments are too small for crescent plates. Am I right?
Mhoover
Martin Colony History: Started with 2 pair in 2014 - 7 eggs -7 fledged

My suggestion based upon your desire to change over to crescent entrances is add a tunneled entrance that will already be equipped with a crescent entrance, wing entrapment guard and extend the depth of the compartment all at the same time.
S&K makes a tunneled entrance that has a mounting plate attached that makes it easy to install and has a depth of almost three inches with an outside and inside porch. You deepen the compartments as well as provide a starling resistance entrance this way.
2017-5 pair
2016-4 pair- 18 hatched-18 fledged
2015-1 pair -Both ASY- 6 eggs-5 fledged
2014-2 pair- 1 ASY-M/SY-F-1 ASY pair - 7 eggs-7 fledged

PMCA Member