Purple Martins in North Carolina

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Say James,
I told you.! When 1 door closes another door opens.!! And this time you've got a place with water (Pond) and plenty of land so no one can infringe on you. Now with that much property you don't have to worry about someone telling you when and where you can place your Martin Site.!! Way to Go Man.!!!! Send me some pics when you get time.
I'm so Happy for you.! Especially to hear that you have a place with a body of water, WOW.!!!!!!
I really believe that having water nearby helps create and maintain a successful Colony.!!!!!!!!! You will need to be getting those poles and racks in the air. My Birds get here sometime in March Or April. The earliest I've ever seen a scout was March 10,2014. And I've been keeping records going on 28 years here at the same location.!!!!!!!
You'll be getting your Bird's this year for sure.! Man That's Great.!! If you need any help let me know.
Rodger :mrgreen:
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
MichaelH
Martin Colony History: 2015 28 cavities 2 pairs
2016 big upgrade 56cavities 16 pairs great year
2017. 76 cavities 36 pairs
2018. 146 cavities

Well congrats James that's great news can't wait to hear of your progress and see pictures sounds like a wonderful place ,the best of luck getting a colony you first year "bet you thought you wouldn't be going through this again right lol good luck keep us posted
Mick
2018 146 cavities.
James Strickland FL
Martin Colony History: 2017 Had a lot visitors no Matins nesting, hoping 2018 will be different.
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

Roger,

Yes the Lord has a way of take to the place he wishes for you to go. Sometime we do not listen. I should sign the agreement tomorrow and in 30 day I will have the gourds up. Me and my brother need to go and get a few more poles, which is no problem. I do have to have a few trees taken down and I am working on that with the owner of the house that has a friend. I do have to have some work done on the house so it is the way I like it. It is a great piece of land and I know the martins will love it. It is close to a lot of martin gourds that are about a mile as crow flys. Thanks for the offer to help and I will call if I need it. I hope after I get things going and the martins show up you will come by.

Michael,

Thanks and you are right about having to start over. The only different is that there are lot more martins here than down in Florida. I hope that they will find me and will enjoy the new site. We will see, but I feel good about this place.
PMCA MEMBER
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

James,
Yes I would certainly like to come up and see you sometime, and you are welcome to come by here at anytime.
If I lived closer I could also help you with the trees. I'm not a logger but I can drop a tree.!! I've got some big Poplar Logs on the ground right now that need to be hauled to the Saw Mill.!!!!!!
Congratulations Again on finding that new House and New Site for your New Colony.!!!
I'm sure you'll do well.!!!!!! Keep me posted.!!!!!
Rodger
PMCA Member
pmartinlover2
Martin Colony History: 2011 Home site--1 SY pair--2 fledged
2016 Satellite Site---4 pair--19 eggs laid--17 hatched--16 fledged
2017 Satellite Site--8 pair--37 eggs laid--34 hatched--34 fledged
2018 11 pair--fledged 60
2019 20 pair-fledged 94
2020 23pair-fledged 108

That's fantastic, James. You'll have lots of room for your super colony! Don't forget that we'd like some pics when you get your martin housing up! So happy you have found a home for yourself and your martins and will be close to your family again!
_____
Jody
Jody in Central Illinois
Landlord in 2016
2016—4 pr fledged 16
2017—8 pr fledged 34
2018—11 pr fledged 60
James Strickland FL
Martin Colony History: 2017 Had a lot visitors no Matins nesting, hoping 2018 will be different.
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

Thanks Roger for the invite Sir. After I get set I will take some time to drop by.

Jody I just hope to get set-up and get some Martins at first.
PMCA MEMBER
Courtney-NC
Martin Colony History: 2009-2015-Helped to manage Raleigh site, 36 cavities
2016- 33 pairs at Raleigh site, 1 pair at home site.
2017- 34 pairs at Raleigh site, 3 pairs + extra SYs at home site
2018- 33 pairs at Raleigh site, 5 pairs + extra SYs at home site
2019 - 32 pairs at Raleigh site, 7 pairs at home site, 2 pairs at new Holly Springs park site

Hi James! How exciting for you! Glad to hear you found a place!
Greensboro is only about an hour and a half from me (Wake Co). I hope we can visit sometime and talk martins!

8)
-Courtney
-------------------
NC Purple Martin Society (PMCA affiliate)
http://www.ncpurplemartin.org
James Strickland FL
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

That sounds Great.
PMCA MEMBER
James Strickland FL
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

Well the seller finely signed the contract and at the end of the month I will be the owner of the farm. I am looking forward to getting started on my new Martin Colony. I will keep you up to date.
PMCA MEMBER
Steve Kroenke

Hey James,

I am so happy for you! Sounds like your new home site will be the ideal place for a thriving purple martin colony with plenty of open pasture and a nearby pond for water and bathing.

Plus you will know some fine folks from the Forum who live in North Carolina.

We all will be looking forward to hearing about your new martin colony. Good luck!

Steve
PMCA Member
300+ pairs of martins each season
Rodger Drye

Hey James,

Yeah Greensboro area is about an hour and a half away from me. So I will be coming to see you and talk Martin's.!! I'm sure we'll have a lot in Common and a lot to talk about (you know Martin Stuff).!
I'm gonna start hanging Gourds toward the end of February.! Don't know where all the Starlings are.? Have not caught a Starling or a Sparrow as yet. Last year had already caught several even back in November.! Maybe I've scared them all away - I doubt it - Lol.!! At least my traps are ready for when thay do come in.!!
My address is.....Rodger Drye
8700 Mt. Olive Rd.
Mount Pleasant, NC 28124-9688
Send me your New address when you can.!!!
Take Care and keep me posted Man.!!

Rodger
PMCA Member
Rodger Drye

Hey James,
I just googled Greensboro, NC and I'm only 1 hour and 12 minutes away. I guess it does depend on exactly where you are located. My E-Mail is dryerodger7777@yahoo.com drop me a line and let me know your address. Then I'll be able to pinpoint your exact location. Even an hour and a half isn't that bad.!!
Thanks, Rodger
PMCA Member
James Strickland FL
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

Hi Roger you are not that far. Heck it takes me about 40 minutes to drive to Greensboro.
PMCA MEMBER
philsand

Sounds like Paradise!
James Strickland FL
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

Phil I am going to try.
PMCA MEMBER