Brand new babies in July! In Oklahoma!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ron20m

Brand new babies in July! In Oklahoma!

Postby ron20m » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:53 pm

:shock: Holy Moly. I've had 12 total nests in two houses and fledged four so far with another three to fledge in a few days. Today, July 6th, I found four brand new babies, hatched either yesterday or today! Last time I looked I saw the eggs but thought they were probably sterile or something.
I don't have a lot of hope that they will survive in July heat in Oklahoma, but who knows.

klcretired

Postby klcretired » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:45 am

ron20m,
Congrat's on the new ones, Nature will find a way to help those little ones, it's been very,very Hot here in Texas tooo, and i have been watering down my Housing & Gourd Rack several times a day, the PM's seem to Love the sprinkler but the babies Back off out of site,I wish you well and ..........
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com

RC Moser

Postby RC Moser » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:52 pm

IMO they probably got there first batch disrupted either by sparrow, starling, or bad batch, and relayed. I had this happen last year, but it wasn't guite that late, but not to worry still plenty of time left to fledge here is good old Okieland. just have to put up with the heat, flies, ant's, hawks, owls, snakes, mites, and Did I leave anything out?. Odds are they will make it I bet ya!!!!!!

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”