Martin Colony History: 2019 > 20 nesting pairs, 92 Fledged
2018 > 15 nesting pairs, 39 Fledged
2017 > 12 nesting pairs, 43 Fledged
2016 > 9 nesting pairs, 25 Fledged
2015 > 5 nesting pairs, 23 Fledged
2014 > 4 nesting pairs, 15 Fledged
2013 > 4 nesting pairs, 15 fledged
2012 > Several Lookers

Has anyone used this Camera in there Martin Gourds?
Does the infrared diodes used for night vision bother the Martins? Too much light? Too much heat?
Any info on your experience with this is greatly appreciated.

Maybe there is another camera I should consider?
I would really like one that was WiFi that would be wireless and connect into my laptop/ipad.

Thanks,
Richard
Last edited by sssSMOKING on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 > Several Lookers
2013 - 4 pair, 14 fledged
2014 - 5 pair, 15 Fledged (House Wren Destroyed Eggs, 5th pair)
BrendaVR

I have used the hawk eye with the cord in my birdhouse (no purple martins for me yet) and it does not seem to bother the birds at all. I believe the infra red is a light that they cannot see. I know a lot of people are using this (or similar) cameras in Purple Martin (and other birdhouses) for many years now and they do not seem to have a negative effect. So I would say no it would not bother the birds, not to much light. Heat I cannot speak to. I have never measured if the camera causes any increase in heat in the house. The only time I would think it would be at all a concern would be when the heat is already way to high (ie: peak heat of summer in texas). The camera does not produce much heat at all. I would be surprised if it produced enough heat to affect the temp inside the birdhouse...
I have not tried any that use WiFi so cannot speak to that either.
sssSMOKING
2012 > Several Lookers

Thanks BrendaVA, This is good info.
I am sure there are a number of people running cameras and would like to hear from them on what type and what they would recommend. The Hawk Eye HD would plug into an old TV in the bedroom, I would rather have it connected to my WiFi but do not know where to look for this type of camera.
Thanks Brenda, have a great day.
Richard
2012 > Several Lookers
Matt F.

We (the university I work at)purchased the original, non-HD Hawk Eye camera from the PMCA some years back.
Like Brenda, ours is also the corded variant.
It's been used to view active Martin nests for years now, and it has been rock solid.
The IR lights have never been a problem (that I can tell).
Martins have readily chosen the "camera gourd" every season we've had it installed.
I'm assuming if there was any annoyance, or distress from the IR lights, they would've moved on to a different gourd.
I do, sometimes at night, see them kind of briefly peer at the camera, but then look right back away again, without moving, or showing any signs of annoyance.
Based on that, I'd say it's plausible that they see something (maybe the very faint glow of the IR LEDs), but again, it does not seem to bother them at all.
This camera gets left out in the gourd, year round (while staying powered on as recommended if leaving it out - the idea being the slight warmth from the powered circuits helps to keep any possible moisture out).
To that point about the heat - I have many times held the powered camera in my hands (to adjust, move, etc.), and cannot feel any noticeable heat to the touch. So any heat that is generated is so slight, that it stays inside the camera's housing.

Judging from the very high quality of the standard def Hawk Eye, I would say the HD Hawk Eye is probably a rock-solid, great little camera.

Our camera is mounted in a Troyer Vertical Gourd at the university, and is still broadcasting right now.
The view is tilted off axis, due to me needing to perform some off-season mounting adjustments.
So, if anyone is interested in viewing used pine needles, at a slant, and inside of a THG, here you go!
Almost forgot to mention - due the video server being used, the stream is only available with Chrome, Firefox or Safari browsers.
http://prtl.uhcl.edu/environmental-inst ... ple-martin
sssSMOKING
2012 > Several Lookers

Matt F. wrote:We (the university I work at)purchased the original, non-HD Hawk Eye camera from the PMCA some years back.
It's been used to view active Martin nests for years now, and it has been rock solid.
Martins have readily chosen the "camera gourd" every season we've had it installed.
I'm assuming if there was any annoyance, or distress from the IR lights, they would've moved on to a different gourd.
I do, sometimes at night, see them kind of briefly peer at the camera, but then look right back away again, without moving, or showing any signs of annoyance.
Based on that, I'd say it's plausible that they see something (maybe the very faint glow of the IR LEDs), but again, it does not seem to bother them at all.
This camera gets left out in the gourd, year round (while staying powered on as recommended if leaving it out - the idea being the slight warmth from the powered circuits helps to keep any possible moisture out).
To that point about the heat - I have many times held the powered camera in my hands (to adjust, move, etc.), and cannot feel any noticeable heat to the touch. So any heat that is generated is so slight, that it stays inside the camera's housing.

Judging from the very high quality of the standard def Hawk Eye, I would say the HD Hawk Eye is probably a rock-solid, great little camera.

Our camera is mounted in a Troyer Vertical Gourd at the university, and is still broadcasting right now.
The view is tilted off axis, due to me needing to perform some off-season mounting adjustments.
So, if anyone is interested in viewing used pine needles, at a slant, and inside of a THG, here you go!
Almost forgot to mention - due the video server being used, the stream is only available with Chrome, Firefox or Safari browsers.
Thanks Matt,
That is a great review, thank you for spending your time to view your experience with this camera. I hope the HD camera will be as good as the non-HD.

I did go to the link you posted and check your camera both in the day and at night and it looked great. Could you or your IT guy tell me how he set this up on your website?? That would be really nice if possible.

Well I know what I'm asking Santa Claus for!!!!!!!
Job well done Matt, If any one else has any experience to share I would love to hear them.

I'll let you guys know how the HD Hawk Eye works for me.
Richard.
2012 > Several Lookers
sssSMOKING
2012 > Several Lookers

IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG (43.89 KiB) Viewed 5437 times
UPDATE
Look what Santa Clause got me!!!!!!!
Attachments
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG (39.5 KiB) Viewed 5437 times
2012 > Several Lookers
Matt F.

sssSMOKING wrote:I did go to the link you posted and check your camera both in the day and at night and it looked great. Could you or your IT guy tell me how he set this up on your website?? That would be really nice if possible.
Hi Richard,
My apologies for the delayed reply.
I actually setup the camera, and the network video server (encoder) it uses to stream to the internet.
Since these cameras are analog, they need to be converted to a digital signal (encoded) before being able to be streamed over any computer network, and internet.
In our case, the camera cables run from the Martin housing, into the building through a cable penetration, and then into a network closet that houses the video server, and network switches.
The video and audio cables from the camera (our old server doesn't support audio, so it's a video only feed) plug into the little video server/encoder.
The server/encoder then converts it, and has an output, computer network jack that a network cable plugs into.
From there, it goes into one of our network switches, which then takes it to our network backbone (our main network infrastructure), and then out into the internet world.
At this point, the video stream from the server can be seen in a web browser by typing in the address (URL) of the stream, which includes the name of the server, and a specific path to the stream (this address created during the initial server setup).
For example, our server streams using the MJPG format (there are different formats like MPEG-4, and others).
Here is the exact stream address:
http://noacamera.uhcl.edu/axis-cgi/mjpg ... 3371769712
That address stream is then inserted into a webpage, as seen here:

I'm unfortunately lacking in knowledge in the web design/webpage editing arena, so exactly how it's inserted into the webpage I'm not entirely clear on (we have a webpage expert that does that for us).
My guess is it's pretty straight forward, depending on what kind of webpage editing software one is using.
There are some video streaming sites that probably have it setup so that one just has to enter the address of the stream, and they take care of the rest.
sssSMOKING
2012 > Several Lookers

Thanks Matt,
I think that will be above my network/computer abilities so will be content with watching the PM live on my 42" TV.
I will keep check on your web site Martin camera to see your early arrivals.
Thanks for all your info and time.
Richard

UPDATE on camera install.
Cable entry (3/4" PVC street elbow)
Cable entry (3/4" PVC street elbow)
IMG_1143.JPG (29.9 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
Attachments
Viewed from 42" TV
Viewed from 42" TV
IMG_1148.JPG (21.87 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
Pellet TIN inside Gourd
Pellet TIN inside Gourd
IMG_1147.JPG (31.33 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
Photo of Camera inside of Gourd
Photo of Camera inside of Gourd
IMG_1144.JPG (19.46 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
2012 > Several Lookers
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Do you have to run a cable or wire feed from the Gourd all the way to your T.V.? Or do they have any remote or wireless HD Cameras out there on the market.? Or maybe a Bluetooth type system.??
Thanks, Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
sssSMOKING
2012 > Several Lookers

Hi Roger, Good question.
With this camera it comes with 100' of cable. Inside this cable they have video, audio and power so one cable is all that is needed to the camera.
I was not able to find a wireless camera but they may be out there.
I was amazed at how well it focused at close distance and how well it worked at night/dark.
2012 > Several Lookers
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

O.K. Thanks Smoking.!
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
sssSMOKING
2012 > Several Lookers

Matt F. wrote:We (the university I work at)purchased the original, non-HD Hawk Eye camera from the PMCA some years back.
Matt,
When do you expect your first PM arrival?
I have been keeping a check on your web site and would like to see when you start getting your PM's.
Matt has a Hawk Eye Camera
For others here is Matt's live feed of his PM Gourd.
Thanks
Richard
2012 > Several Lookers
Matt F.

Hi Richard,
We usually see our first arrivals during the second, or third week in February.
So we're about 3 or 4 weeks away (if they arrive during the "normal" window).
Thanks for asking!
GeneP
Martin Colony History: 1 gourd rack with 24 gourd capacity. 2018, my 11th year hosting martins.
18 pair in 2017.

I have the camera but am unable to livestream the audio to Ustream. I think it's a Windows 10 issue. Video yes, audio, no.
I think folks would like audio when watching these cams.
PMCA Member, Single Gourd Rack, 2019 marks 12 years hosting martins.
sssSMOKING
2012 > Several Lookers

Hi Gene,
I have not put my gourd with camera on the rack as of now but when I did a test run I am pretty sure I had audio when connection directly to an older TV.
I am interested in how you connected the cable to your window 10 computer. This is something that would be helpful in the future.
Thanks
Richard
2012 > Several Lookers
sssSMOKING
2012 > Several Lookers

Matt F. wrote:Hi Richard,
We usually see our first arrivals during the second, or third week in February.
So we're about 3 or 4 weeks away (if they arrive during the "normal" window).
Thanks for asking!
Hey Matt,
I've been keeping an eye on your PM site and a couple weeks ago the camera looks as it is resting in the bottom of the gourd.
Looking forward to see your first Martins.
Thanks
Richard
2012 > Several Lookers
Matt F.

Good eye Richard.
It is actually pointing right at the PVC it's mounted to.
I'm making a new mount for the camera, that will hopefully provide for a good view of the nest.
I'm planning on getting it setup either tomorrow, or Sunday.
GeneP
Martin Colony History: 1 gourd rack with 24 gourd capacity. 2018, my 11th year hosting martins.
18 pair in 2017.

Hi Richard,
In order to connect to your computer you'll need a DVD Recorder. Forum rules don't allow manufactures names but you can source it online.
DVD Recorders are used to transfer your old VHS tapes to your computer and burn them to DVDs. Your new camera will connect to one end and the other has a USB connection to plug into your computer. The Recorder/Encoder device is about 60 usd.

You can learn about livestreaming online. Look for free services unless you have thousands to spend.

Gene
PMCA Member, Single Gourd Rack, 2019 marks 12 years hosting martins.
Matt F.

sssSMOKING wrote:Hey Matt,
I've been keeping an eye on your PM site and a couple weeks ago the camera looks as it is resting in the bottom of the gourd.
Looking forward to see your first Martins.
Hi Richard,
I got the camera remounted, the stream is up and going again.
No action yet - just pine needles..... :lol:
sssSMOKING
2012 > Several Lookers

Hi Richard,
I got the camera remounted, the stream is up and going again.
No action yet - just pine needles..... :lol:[/quo

Hey Matt,
Do you have a "Black Out" going on? :shock:
I was showing my grand kids your web site and everything is black.
Thanks
Richard
2012 > Several Lookers