Barn Owls

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Elijah Clark
Martin Colony History: Put up the colony in 2015 and had a mean and nasty fight with the sparrows, yet one pair stayed and five fledged.

Barn Owls

Postby Elijah Clark » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:22 pm

Today I was looking up how many rodents barn owls eat per year and I was astonished to see that they can eat up to 3000 rodents per breeding season :grin: With this being, I was thinking about putting up a barn owl nest box. I was wondering if I do obtain a pair of breeding barn owls will they be a disturbance or danger to my martins?
"A good sparrow is a dead sparrow"
2015- 1 pair
2016- 12 pair
2017- 0 pair (predators). Back to square one.

gray fox

Re: Barn Owls

Postby gray fox » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:04 am

I think the great horned owl is the one that you have to look out for. The longer tunneled gourds available today seem to protect martins from owls. I have been trying to get barn owls to nest in our barn. The great horned owl will kill barn owls just like they attack martins. Heck Ive heard they can drive of a eagle to claim a nest site. That being said they are protected and I still like to have them around. The barn owl is more endangered than the purple martin. Let us know if you can get them to nest.

gray fox

Postby gray fox » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:51 am

I have been trying too attract barn owls for about 30 years in our barn. I hear its some what like purple martins. Its up too them.Any suggestions?

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:58 am

I know of one long time colony that barn owls almost wiped out. We have 4 barns and I have no intentions of ever trying to attract an owl of any kind to nest here.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

daveh

Postby daveh » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:09 pm

I've been fighting owls for 6-7 years. They are trying to wipe me out. I hate owls. If you attract any, you are playing with fire. They will in time find the martins and kill them. It's very stressful.

Dave
PMCA member

Andrew Smith
Martin Colony History: 2019 - Hundreds of fly-bys August and September. Half a dozen birds landed on house.

Postby Andrew Smith » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:39 am

I have set up nesting boxes for Northern Saw Whet owls, Eastern Screech owls and American Kestrels. As far as I am aware, none of these predators are a threat to the martins. Has anyone out there had history with these three species? If so good or bad?

Black Jack

Postby Black Jack » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:00 am

I have set up nesting boxes for Northern Saw Whet owls, Eastern Screech owls and American Kestrels. As far as I am aware, none of these predators are a threat to the martins. Has anyone out there had history with these three species? If so good or bad?
I have a couple of eastern screech nest every year. they have fledged by the time my martins come. They are really 2 small to take a martin. Usually insects.

gray fox

Postby gray fox » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:28 am

I see barn owls eat a small number of birds. If a Martin colony were close they probably would hit the Martins because thats the close and most available food. Nature adapts too the situation. Barn owl numbers are down and its a shame. I have martins and it took me 29 years to get them.I would be putting a fox in the hen house if I got barn owls.I could try for barn owls away from any Martin colonies.Thanks again Brad for the information. You experienced the barn owl Martin confrontation. We don't always learn from books we learn through other people.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”