Bait Sparrow Trap

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
rrmartins

Hello everyone. What is the best trap I can buy, repeater or funnel trap? I have a huge Bradford Pear tree in my front yard that's FULL of the rat birds. I have a perfect spot in the lower branches for one to sit in.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Hey rrmartins again,
I've had an Uncle Blain's Sparrow Trap for a couple years.! It is an excellent Trap.!! I caught and eliminated well over 100 Sparrows last year alone!!! You can use a variety of Bait, Bread, Cracked Corn, Bird Seed, or even Cat Food.
However, I've found that White Millet seems to be the Best.! They really Go For It.!!
If you get the White Millet be sure to shop around, because you can get it really cheap if you take the time to look...
I've seen it run as high as $35.00 for 20lbs. I got mine for $12.00. A friend of mine told me she bought some for a little over $4.00 - the same name brand and everything.! With the White Millet or really any feed for Bird's be sure you don't let it get rained on or wet - it will Rot!!
I keep my Uncle Blain's Trap in the corner of my Wood Shed so it doesn't get wet... I keep the actual seed in a Galvanized water proof can.!
Do you have many Starlings.??
Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
rrmartins

Thanks again for the response. I do have a few starlings, they make easy targets with my BB gun. Is there a trap that will trap both of them?

I found a Songbird Essentials live trap, that gets good reviews from the Bluebird fellows. They say it traps both species very well.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Rrmartins,
I'm not familiar with the Songbird trap. I have built 2 different NBT's ( Nest Box Traps ) to catch Starlings.!! They both really work Great.!!
The traps do not have to be Baited.! They rely on the destructiveness and inquisition of the Starling itself to invade another Bird's Nest and tear it up or take it over!! Starlings can't resist entering another Bird's Nest, especially Purple Martin's and breaking the eggs and pecking the babies to death!!! In fact they will peck to death and kill an adult Martin if they can trap one in his or her Nest.!!!
I caught and eliminated over 44 Starlings with these NBT's last year.!
I had to change my round holed entrances to Cresent or Starling Resistant entrances after they killed a beautiful ASY Male by trapping him in his nest and pecking his eyes out!!!! I used a Troyer-Haskell Tunnel Trap to capture 3 different Starlings out of that nest alone! Now all my Gourds have Starling Resistant Entrances.! I still keep my NBT's up and open all year to catch these hateful bird's!!!
I think Andrew Troyer offers a NBT, or you can get plans off the internet to build one yourself. They're really not that hard to build. I use large metal Coffee Cans to build mine.
These Traps are very effective, You do as with any trap need to monitor it because sometimes you might catch a Native Bird, i.e. Blue Bird, Cardinal, Wren etc.
Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
rrmartins

I've had Clinger entrances, level with the porches, on my T14, since I put it up seven years ago, and so far, a starling has never breached them. I have a sparrow NBT I built just for sparrows, and it does great, but only catches one at a time. I'm looking to start catching them in higher numbers at one time. Do the Starlings go to the NBT in the winter time?
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
BrendaVR

I would highly recommend Uncle Blain's Sparrow Trap over the Songbird Essentials.

Blain's is automatically self resetting so you can catch many birds with no need for you to intervene. Its silent so will not scare the rest of the flock and can keep trapping, the birds in the trap attract more TO the trap. Live bird in the trap is infinitely more effective bait than any food item is. The Songbird Essentials one you can catch one bird at a time, two tops (but usually the noise and action of one getting tripped scares all the others away). The Songbird can and does work (but it is similar to the one bird at a time that the in house trap does) so if you have a large number of birds to deal with you will appreciate the efficiency of Blain's much MUCH more.
rrmartins

Blaines trap it is. Thanks a lot.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged