Numbers Down at Tulsa Roost After July 4th

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dick Sherry

Numbers Down at Tulsa Roost After July 4th

Postby Dick Sherry » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:33 pm

Last night the number of martins at the island roost in the Arkansas River was down quite a bit from the 50,000 to 100,000 that were there Saturday evening. It could be due to the big fireworks show on the 4th of July (the fireworks were shot from a bridge about 3/4 mile south of the roost), or because they got spooked when a severe thunderstorm came through the area between 1 and 2 AM on the 4th. The storm had high winds and heavy rain. It could also be because some of the local birds are starting to head south. We are not getting martins in the mornings hanging around the houses like they were in weeks past. We will keep watching and see what happens next.

Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Postby Laverne » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:04 pm

Hello Dick.

...and maybe some of those birds are already showing up at the Sharpstown Roost. What about the Lewisville Roost? I haven't heard anything about it this season...

Wouldn't you just love to be a Purple Martin flying along with the rest of them - so you could know for sure what they are doing when, where, and why...
Sincerely,
Laverne

Dick Sherry

Postby Dick Sherry » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:26 pm

Laverne, it would be quite a thrill to be able to fly along with the martins on their migration. All the different scenery they fly over would make for an amazing trip. I have wondered if their journey takes them from one big roost to another along the way. We have had martins at our local roosts well into September, so I am sure they are birds that nested much farther north and are just passing through.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”