Purple Martin Majesty!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

I will leave you today with this image.

It's a "typical" Alvin sunset with our colony silhouetted in front of it.

I hope you like it!
Sincerely,
Laverne
iluvbirds

Beautiful picture Laverne! Thanks for sharing it! I can see you're as happy as I am with dkjtwo's tip on how to make the pictures smaller, so they will upload... :grin: ....Pat

Laverne, that is an awesome picture, just beautiful. i cannot download my pictures anymore, now that i have gotten my new camera, it says the size is too large or something like that. Would you please tell me how to make my pictures small enough so that I may show them like I used to do with my other camera, which was a Mavica? again, such a lovely peaceful picture. :) :)

What a wonderful sight. Thanks for sharing!!
John Atteberry

What kind of racks are those? And if bought them, from where? Great picture! Great set-up too! Thanks John!
Mary Wilson-SW Ont

Laverne, what a stunning picture that is. Are those Natureline gourd racks? If so, I'm wondering if you find them heavy, as we do - heavier to raise even than our PMCA gourd system with 2 racks of 6 gourds each. The natureline poles are very solid and strong, but I don't know how it could be extended from the 8 we have to the 16 maximum, unless the rope system it comes with was replaced with a winch.

holly,

any photo editing program should have capabilities to resize images. once you transfer the images to your harddrive. i use 'irfanview' which is a free program. i don't remember where i got it, but check at downloads.com or tucows.com.

this program isn't very powerful, but it is nice for resizing/cropping.
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Wow! I just wanted to share a pretty picture - I didn't know it would spark all these questions. Where do I start? At the top...

Yes, Pat, I am ecstatic about being able to finally put up a picture I have taken...

Hi Holly. The following is a copy of the post from dkjtwo that solved my problem. I hope it helps you, too. If you continue to have problems - send me a Personal Message and I will try to help you with more detailed instructions.

Katherine- for futire reference:

If you are using windows XP then its an easy process to size the pics for the web. Just highlight the photos you want to post and right click. Choose "send to" and choose "mail recipient." A pop up box should appear and ask you if you want to make your pictures smaller. Click this button and choose yes. Your mail window will pop up with the attched photos and all you have to do from here is to drag the resized photo file to your desktop. You now have pics that are small enough for the program and large enough to see. Just be sure to upload them from the desktop.

Hope this helps you and possibly others.

Hi John.

Those racks were made from plans purchased from the PMCA. It is called PMCA Gourd Rack Plans for $6.95 member price. Mike and I built the racks from cedar fence pickets. Cut them out with a band saw and routed the edges to make them round and smooth on top for PM feetsies. They got rubbed down with linseed oil and have withstood everything thrown at them except when "The Rope Broke - Instant Disaster!" They are mounted on PVC pipe sleeves that ride up and down on the galvanized schedule 40 2" pipe pole. They will all be replaced with fresh wood this winter. We can't risk having anything else break.

Hello Mary.

That is the PMCA Gourd Rack from their plans. We had 8 gourds on all racks at the time of this photo. If you look at the rack closest to you, you will see that it has the lower arms in place with no gourds hanging from them. This season we hung 8 more (for a total of 16) on that rack. It does indeed weigh a lot and all of our racks are operated with winches. I highly recommend the winch system. If you are already using a pulley system - adding a winch is simple. Mine are boat winches from local hardware store. The 16 gourd rack was the one the rope broke on. The gourds are SuperGourds and this season we also included 3 Troyer Horizontals.

I think when you have 8 gourds on a rack and they are all full of nesting Purple Martins - you have a crowding issue when fledging begins. I felt so sorry for my first fledglings. Their parents kept bringing them back each night and they were getting beat up all the time because no matter where they landed they were in somebody's territory. It was chaos - so, I intend to spread out even more.
Sincerely,
Laverne
Mary Wilson-SW Ont

Hi Laverne, thanks for the info - they look a lot like our natureline racks. We'll have to look at putting winches on ours for next year. My hubby doesn't want me to even try to lower and raise them myself. About having spare gourds for the fledglings, last year, just as an experiment, we hung some of our spare ones below our bed and breakfast feeder, and the fledglings used them at night. I would encourage anyone who has shepherd hooks and extra gourds, hang them on the hooks - it may provide a shelter to a fledgling that would otherwise sit out at night on the crossbars, exposed to hungry critters. (We have a nest of 6 martins in a gourd on a shepherds hook, and this was chosen before all the higher gourds were full :shock: so the low height didn't concern them much.) Of course, some of the newly fledged sit out anyway, and there's not much we can do about it.