Attracting Bluebirds!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
marcus
Martin Colony History: Mom n Dad had a plastic 12 unit martin house with some martins as long as I can remember. In 2013 they had 1 pair. I don't think they fledged any. I then started learning how to take care of martins and in 2014 we took that house down and put up a Troyer 18 gourd rack. We had 7 pair with 28 fledged.That summer I built a T-14 (I was only 12). I was also given 4 natural gourds that I hung beneath the T-14. In 2015, we had 23 pair although only 22 pair fledged young. They fledged 88 young. In 2016, we had 36 pair, 210 eggs, 163 hatched, 149 fledge!! One pair fledged 2 broods. In 2017, I had 36 pair with 35 fledging young. They laid 204 eggs, hatched 155, and fledged 152.

My little male :?: wren put sticks in a bb house as well. I'm going to put another house up so he can nest in there or the other wren house and the chickadees can take the other. I love his song and hope he attracts a female. I just hope wrens don't try to take over any other houses. :) -Marcus
Foxie

Marcus one area we read where it advised t keep they away from your territory or do not let them get started in your housing in view of their
territorial demand. It said they can nest in trees etc. However, we too like the Wren and allocate an area with box farther removed from all
other boxes just to be safe. Enjoy your comments as we are willing to learn new ideas and information. Thanks for the friendly info. foxie
Last edited by Foxie on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warbird

Went to check on bb and found another nest built over top of the 4 blue eggs. Nest was made very neat out of pine straw that l changed out for pm's. I dug through the nest and found eggs [removed them] near the bottom and put the nest back in. I still see the bb around here. I'll have to watch the house a little closer. These bb seems like a pain to get started, I hope there still here . Update 7-12 both bb are still in house I guess heat idk
Last edited by warbird on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe
2015 8 pair
2016 35 pair
2017 55 pair
marcus
Martin Colony History: Mom n Dad had a plastic 12 unit martin house with some martins as long as I can remember. In 2013 they had 1 pair. I don't think they fledged any. I then started learning how to take care of martins and in 2014 we took that house down and put up a Troyer 18 gourd rack. We had 7 pair with 28 fledged.That summer I built a T-14 (I was only 12). I was also given 4 natural gourds that I hung beneath the T-14. In 2015, we had 23 pair although only 22 pair fledged young. They fledged 88 young. In 2016, we had 36 pair, 210 eggs, 163 hatched, 149 fledge!! One pair fledged 2 broods. In 2017, I had 36 pair with 35 fledging young. They laid 204 eggs, hatched 155, and fledged 152.

Sorry for not replying, Foxie. That sounds like a good idea to keep wren house a good distance from other boxes. Our tailless wren has still not found a girl. He seems to like the bb box better than the wren house. He has the bb box full of twigs all the way up to the entrance hole. :grin: I hope he finds a girl and she wants the wren house. -Marcus
Foxie

Sorry Marcus late getting back to you. If the bird is not going to nest in the bb box and the wren box is farther away from the pm site you might be able to clear the box out since it is a dud box full only to keep others away from it's territory, if not, once they are established territory there your stuck as bird is protected. Try and work to move them farther away from pm sites for more removed territory for them. It is hard to determine what is going to be the decisions of the Wren on invading your PM boxes and BB boxes. If you have enough acres take advantage of separation and all will live happy including you have both PM and Wrens at your home. foxie Check out laws on Wrens and what you can do etc. Sound like the
Wbcx nest could be a dud.
Foxie

No Problem gettng back to me as I was also tied up with things. Say sure enjoy your busy comments devoted to the site. God Bless and enjoy every day of the summer remaining. Working to restore our site winds up a complete over hall if we keep going it will be available next year. Tough too many cures needed and too hot to work in the outdoor high heat. We had Pm 1970's on a box I built first year was great. My folks always wanted PM and could not get them. so my box was time tested, dumb move, we gave it to them and built a different new one to replace the first box. Well some things happened at our location as development started xs street pond closed farm cut up barn gone lots make etc. PM cam check out the box and female would not stay. Couple more boxes and tries and same thing pm came and left. later put up granpa Trio house PM came stayed in the house over night. Starling came in rested on other house roof and lead moved him off. PM stayed few around all day to and from the house and left. Years later built T14 no luck so we made the cs openings slightly larger so not too tight say 1/16 over on tall etc. no problem as they tried and went to the Alum large box I made and got established themselves.
This year we put down the house blocked the house and some left while others took over the T14 along with sparrows. Now all cleared out after much work. Took T14 down to modify clean paint and service the house with new doors and wood laminated bent pole.
Had to have help which slowed our efforts etc. Perplexed now should I use meal beam vs
the 2x8's x16 with middle 1x8x16 all screwed as beam or not. any help appreciated.
Foxie

Spent time earlier working on BB boxes to complete that task wrong thing to do but did not realize how much work required and fast change on spring etc.
Kyler
Martin Colony History: PMCA Member - Project MartinWatch - Enlarged Compartments - SREH - S&S Control - Mite Control - Predator Guards - Heat Control ( Vents and Insulation ) - Supplemental Feeding -

Manage 8 Colonies that consist of 250 Cavities in Colby Kansas.

Offer 78 Cavities Main Site
Offer 12 Cavities Golf Course
Offer 30 Cavities Grandpa’s Public Site
Offer 28 Cavities Grandpa’s Site
Offer 12 Cavities Homeowners Site
Offer 48 Cavities Homeowners Site
Offer 6 Cavities Home Site
Offer 36 Cavties Homeowners Site

Marcus,
I had wrens in my bluebird boxes and what I would do when I checked them is I took the nest out! Because I have about 12 wren boxes scattered around my four acres I have! Its all trees so its great habitat for wrens! But anyways would take their nest out and then they would just go off and choose one of my other boxes that are actually for wrens! They are also back in trees and the bluebird boxes are in the open!

Kyler,
Purple Martin Landlords of Northwest KS
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC9HDLGlbCmSYcSExIySwUQA

2013 & 2015 - 0 Pair -
2014 - 1 Pair - 4 Eggs - 3 Hatched - 3 Fledged -
2016 - 5 Pair - 27 Eggs - 24 Hatched - 13 Fledged -
2017 - 18 Pair - 102 Eggs - 78 Hatched - 69 Fledged -
2018 - 22 Pair - 115 Eggs - 92 Hatched - 86 Fledged -
2019 - 28 Pair - 144 Eggs - 131 Hatched - 125 Fledged -
2020 - 40 Pair - 190 Eggs - 133 Hatched - 111 Fledged So Far - (Bad Year! To Many Single SY Males)
marcus

I think that is what I'll do. I don't know when I last saw him. It seems like awhile ago so maybe he gave up.
Foxie

Marcus how are you doing with the Wren Boxes, PM and BB? Your sure are a busy guy foxie
marcus

Well the wren seems to have given up. I took the sticks out of the bb box. The martins seem to be doing well. I flipped meal worms yesterday and the day before. We had cold rainy weather. I have a ventilation cap for the gourd that is having a second brood. Four of the five eggs hatched so far but I didn't put the ventilation cap on because it was cold. The bb are doing well too. I tried making a snake netting guard on the one bb box today but I don't think the netting is on my wire frame right. One of these days once all my nestlings have fledged I'll post how each type of bird did.

-Marcus
BrendaVR

If the wrens have still been putting sticks in the box then its not far enough from the trees/shrubs.

I would move it further away from the shrubs if possible. In the photos it does look a bit too close to the shrubs behind it. Moving it closer to the marten set up should not have a negative effect on the martens. Once the blue claims the box he will not bother the martins. He may (probably will) use the marten house as a hunting perch but if he has a nest he should not deter martins from nesting in the gourds. (but others can chime in on that, I have lots of BB experience and none with martens yet so its based on my research)

Wrens will defend an area about 30 M radius around their "true" nest, and often build "dummy" nests in all boxes in that area. If the blues box is within that 30 m the wrens will pierce eggs and fill the box with sticks.

PVC pipe can be used as a baffle but I prefer metal as it is more slick and PVC will not stop snakes. A little grease around the post just below the baffle (so no birds can get it on their feathers) will also help and prevents ants if you have issues with ants.
(sorry slow in responding, I was away for a while)