Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Has anyone tried the imitation HOSP egg replacement method for dealing with a nesting HOSP. If so, did it work? Last year, much as I tried, I ended up with a HOSP nest with eggs in my Martin Housing at the same time as the Martins were incubating eggs. I was afraid to tear the nest out for fear of the "HOSP revenge" factor that we hear so much about. I am wondering if replacing the HOSP eggs with fake ones would work in this situation. I have read a couple of articles on this recently.

If anyone has tried this, where do you buy the fake eggs that replicate HOSP eggs?

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
Elijah Clark
Martin Colony History: Put up the colony in 2015 and had a mean and nasty fight with the sparrows, yet one pair stayed and five fledged.

Hi Hanover Bill, I haven't tried egg substitution and I don't know how it will work, but one thing you can do is get a needle a poke a tiny hole in every single egg to where they can't hatch. Good luck :grin:
"A good sparrow is a dead sparrow"
2015- 1 pair
2016- 12 pair
2017- 0 pair (predators). Back to square one.
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Put the sparrow eggs into the microwave for about 5 min, replace them into the nest, they will not hatch
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

A drop of vegetable oil will smother the embryo. This technique is used on canada goose eggs where they are deemed a health nuisance.
MaryanneKahtIL
Martin Colony History: Active colony of purple martins at this location since 2002.
We have 2 Trio converted Castles + one 8 compartment gourd rack and one 12 compartment gourd rack. 2019 summary: 21 pair, 100 eggs laid, 97 fledged. Continued hawk problems throughout 2019 season.

My solution in the past was to "gently" hard boil them and return them to the nest! :grin:
Forum Admin
Site Admin

Do you have a trap that fits inside the compartments? Remove most of nest, use an egg or two in the trap as bait - that's usually a pretty quick way to trap them.
Forum Administrator
Purple Martin Conservation Association - Please consider becoming a member of the PMCA.
BrendaVR

Rendering eggs in-viable is only a delay tactic. Sometimes the HOSP will go on a 'rampage' for no apparent reason whatsoever. I second the in house trap. Once they have eggs in a nest they are super easy to catch in the in house traps. Mess with their nest and they just HAVE to go in and check on their eggs. Usually male first and female shortly after, then you got them, problem solved.
rrmartins

BrendaVR wrote:Rendering eggs in-viable is only a delay tactic. Sometimes the HOSP will go on a 'rampage' for no apparent reason whatsoever. I second the in house trap. Once they have eggs in a nest they are super easy to catch in the in house traps. Mess with their nest and they just HAVE to go in and check on their eggs. Usually male first and female shortly after, then you got them, problem solved.

I second this, it has worked for me. I trap the male, shove him to the back and, place another trap in front so the female goes in after him/nest. Good luck.

PS
This is in a T14, not sure how big of a space you have to insert traps. One at a time works to.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

HI BIll:
I hope your colony has grown. We have some HS issues every year. Set the traps out, maybe catch 1-3 & then noting. Tried removeing nests only to have the HS retaliate. We finally discovered if we gave 1 pair a small wooden house that the Male HS would chase the rest off. So far it works for us. A few visit/start nest building in the Martin houses, until the Martin colony reaches several pair, & then they stop visiting. The Martins chase them off. Once the HS pair has chicks fledge we trap them. So it sort of keeps them limited. What works in one area may not in another, so you just have to try a few things & see what works best for your area.

Good luck,
Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

[quote][/quote] I trap the male, shove him to the back and, place another trap in front so the female goes in after him/nest.
I trapped both a male and a female HOSP in one nest box trap at the same time :eek:
If I knew how that happened I would recommend it now but I am mystified :roll:
Okie
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
rrmartins

I've never done that yet, bet that was a good surprise. This has been my worst HOSP year since I started hosting martins. I feel sorry for them this winter, I'm getting a V Trap, take them out by the masses. Good luck.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

I had a V trap and Blaines sparrow trap at the same time and only the Blaines trapped anything. The V trap did not attract any at all. I sent it back. Just my experience. So far between nest box traps & Blaines I have trapped 31 sparrows.
I plan to use it to "feed" sparrows this winter and eliminate more from the neighborhood.
Okie
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
rrmartins

Okie wrote:I had a V trap and Blaines sparrow trap at the same time and only the Blaines trapped anything. The V trap did not attract any at all. I sent it back. Just my experience. So far between nest box traps & Blaines I have trapped 31 sparrows.
I plan to use it to "feed" sparrows this winter and eliminate more from the neighborhood.
Okie
Thanks for the advice. I will go ahead and get the Blaines and give it a try. I have a little box I made with a Van Ert door on it, and it does pretty good, but only gets one at a time.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
CNO~La

Emil Pampell-Tx wrote:Put the sparrow eggs into the microwave for about 5 min, replace them into the nest, they will not hatch
:shock: you must mean 5 seconds....

5 minutes would be a mess :lol:
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

CNO~La wrote:
Emil Pampell-Tx wrote:Put the sparrow eggs into the microwave for about 5 min, replace them into the nest, they will not hatch
:shock: you must mean 5 seconds....

5 minutes would be a mess :lol:
. You are right, I meant seconds :shock: :roll:
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps