DRST repeater trap

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
vtrommer

I would like to get Uncle Blaines repeater trap but am unsure how to kill the HOSP once in the trap, I normally drown them in my other traps, which is pretty quick. I was told you leave a live decoy in the repeater trap to attract more birds so then how do you kill the birds inside the trap? Any help would be appreciated, I like the fact that you can use this trap for starlings as well. We don't want to lose our martins, but this year is ridiculous for HOSP and starlings for us! Please advise, thanks!!
rrmartins

Pump BB Gun works well. Leave a few in there alive, for bait. Good luck.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
arkansasmartinman
Martin Colony History: 2015 1st year landlord, put up Coates 12-room house, with round holes, had 10-pairs the first year!
2016-Added a 2nd house. Trendsetter 16-room with SREH, filled up 14 rooms in the 16 room house.
18 pairs, 60 fledged

I'm new at killing sparrows as well! I purchased Blaines trap, along with two nest box traps.
I've killed 12 sparrows so far this year.
Just reach inside Blaines trap with a gloved hand.
I use leather gloves. And grab one of the sparrows, then just lightly wrap your fingers around the sparrows chest, you don't have to squeeze very hard at all. They will be dead in just a few seconds.
I've also shot them while in the trap, with my pellet gun, but I'm afraid that might mess up my trap, or could ricochet and put your eye out!
Just squeeze then
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

I am new at this up close hands on and I have been doing the squeeze. Just like he described.

I am the biggest lover of any animal and have struggled with this. But I get foul mouthed when I see HOSP proudly perching on my housing. Little @#! $#!!s.

When my husband cleared out the Blaine's I was surprised but he used a pickle jar with lid and mass drowned them. I was surprised because I've seen him do the cervical dislocation method.

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
Gauxt
Martin Colony History: Started 2007
2013 1 Pair
2015 2 Pair
2016 4 Pair
2017 12 Pair
2018 15 Pair
2019 15 Pair

I've also tired different methods but the now I simply pull the head off. Instant or fraction of a second death. Guess that could be called some sort of dislocation.
2010-0
2011-visitors
2012-visitors
2013-1 pair
2014-0
2015-2 pair
2016 4 pair
2017 12 pair
2018 15 pair
BrendaVR

Breaking the neck is called 'cervical dislocation'.
I use a plastic bag and CO2 from a small 'bike tire inflater'.
(both are veterinary accepted 'humane', drowning is not....but it is hugely better than NOT dealing with them)
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Where's squeazing fall in this veterinary scale? Do I need to tell my husband to go back to ripping their heads off to be more PC? Him being all inhumane and all.
Deb
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

I agree with chest squeeze. Stops the heart instantly. Death comes in a few seconds. Then a thumb to dent the posterior skull. Cervical dislocation I have not mastered and it can be bloody and gross if not done correctly. I also agree that shooting into the trap can damage the trap. Eliminating HOSP is a difficult but necessary task. Best done quickly and humanely.
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.