A couple Spar-o-Door hacks....

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

1. I kept having problems with the traps falling closed as I raised the house. To solve this I filed the prop end of the trip mechanism so that when the vibration of raising the house occurs the actually makes the prop set itself more. An angle of about 15 degrees is usually enough to keep the trap for tripping on the way up, provided you are easy on the raising motion. If you file too much the prop will actually get stuck and the trap won't trip, so be careful.

2. As I have used my Spar-o-doors I have had one of the trip tines fall off on 2 of my traps. I left the 2nd tine off and quickly noticed that my instances of double traps went up astronomically. So now when I know a pair is in residence I put a single tine trap in the house. About 70% of the time I am getting the pair on one set. A dramatic time save for me in the public colony.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
mickey53

We have found it so much easier to have a separate box with trap door for catching our HS. Got the plans off site last year and had great success with it. They enter, the latch closes and we have him ready for the bottle. We used to use the door on martin house but now don't have to lower and raise martin house and disturb martins.
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Awesome, Dorn. Sometimes plan B is better than plan A.
Deb
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

mickey53 wrote:We have found it so much easier to have a separate box with trap door for catching our HS. Got the plans off site last year and had great success with it. They enter, the latch closes and we have him ready for the bottle. We used to use the door on martin house but now don't have to lower and raise martin house and disturb martins.
That's a good theory, but that won't work on a house that has a sparrow in residence, and won't work on a public colony.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities