Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 386
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:11 pm
- Location: Denham Springs, La
- Martin Colony History: 2014 1 pair 3 hatched 3 fledged
2015 1 pair 5 hatched 5 fledged
2016 1 pair 5 hatched 4 fledged
2017 2 pair 8 hatched 8 fledged
2018 4 pair 15 hatched
I do a nest check every week today when I checked I had 2 eggs Made my day. Had 2 pair going to a new house I put up this year along with all my others, but one pair left after a sparrow gave them trouble. Got rid of the sparrow but it was to late to keep the pair. Still have the other pair and now the eggs. Have not seen very many Martins around here this year, very disapointing. Hope everyone has a great Martin year. Mary
- Posts: 861
- Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:05 am
- Location: North MS
- Martin Colony History: I started trying to attract Purple Martins in 2011. I got my first breeding pair in 2013.
2013-1 pair, 2014-4 pair, 2015-8 pair, 2016-12 pair 60 babies :-).
That's great about the eggs! I also did a check yesterday, and one of my gourds had 4 eggs already!!! I was completely surprised by that finding. It is the earliest I have ever had eggs. I have had to be active with controlling HOSP this year. Fortunately, I have been winning the battle.