Trendsetter question

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MichaelH
Martin Colony History: 2015 28 cavities 2 pairs
2016 big upgrade 56cavities 16 pairs great year
2017. 76 cavities 36 pairs
2018. 146 cavities

Has anybody had any issues with the mesh platform inside the trendsetter compartment ,don't know if I am havin an issue, but only a couple of times have a seen my birds checking out the housing and just wondering if they could get the claws caught in mesh and it would put them off ,. Have about 14 birds here at moment and they are just loving my gourds as they do ,just thought they would love the new trendsetter housing but all is good just a niggling question for you seasoned landlords .oh ps didn't get nest trays for the trendsetter would this cause an issue?
Thanks mick
2018 146 cavities.
John Miller

No, they walk over the wire mesh fine. It also has advantages in that it holds nest material in place well. It is a little messy to clean at season end as nest material will be stuck in it and some dirt will filter through and stick to the floor. And some people like to have nest trays so they can pull them out and count eggs and babies more closely. But I actually think the mesh is a good choice too. You can add prenest...just swirl some around toward the back and pat it flat.
MichaelH
2018. 146 cavities

Thanks John I did pre.nest so guess I'm good.not all birds prefer houses I guess thanks again for the feedback
Mick
2018 146 cavities.
Tallsilver

I have new trendsetter up as well. Been using all gourds but there are at least 2 pair using the trendsetter. I have the 28 model but do have a question about ventilation. Is there anything I need to do for best ventilation before the heat comes to SC?

Thanks

Edit: google is my friend!! I now see the the vent opening on the inside that needs to be opened. Then I suppose it's chimney stack ventilation!!
Aaron S Piver
Conway, SC
Larry Kronemeyer

Tailsilver
Ahh yes! the vents in the back. When the weather warms up we will open the vents and when the weather turns hot we change to summer doors. They have vent holes at the top of the door to allow for air movement. I believe you can get them from pmca shop. Worthwhile investment.
Also, we use the wooden nest trays. Easier to do nest checks. At end of season we clean things up and reverse trays to block entrances for the winter. The zippered cover was our Christmas present to ourselves one year, and it's great! I clean up everything in the fall, go ahead and prenest the trays, add a little sevin powder under the trays, close the vents, reverse the trays to close up the openings, then cover the unit. It's basically ready to go for the spring.
Larry and Judy
Larry and Judy Kronemeyer
est. 1999
1-12 compartment Trendsetter and 4 gourds(crescents)
1 T-14 and 4 gourds (crescents)
12 gourd rack (crescents)
Member PMCA
MichaelH
2018. 146 cavities

Good to know larry n Judy you are so well organized ,may get the nest trays for next year and I am sure they can smell the new smell on it lol only been up a month so they prob wondering were it came from as it wasn't ther last year lol
Mick
2018 146 cavities.
Larry Kronemeyer

Mick ,
Yes, a little at a time helps to spread the costs out. You bought a great house. The martins love it. Great porches help reduce porch dominance and give the birds plenty of sitting space. We took down a trio castle to put up the trendsetter and the returning birds took to it right away. Your birds will soon be fighting for the best compartments!
Larry and Judy
Larry and Judy Kronemeyer
est. 1999
1-12 compartment Trendsetter and 4 gourds(crescents)
1 T-14 and 4 gourds (crescents)
12 gourd rack (crescents)
Member PMCA