At 8:52a.m. 7/27/15 I Almost Became a Landlord!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
avesrun
Martin Colony History: Home Site: 2017- 0
2016 - 1st pair, fledged 5
Satellite Site: 2017 (3rd season)
34 pair
Fledged- 102

When I arrived at the quarry the fledging process was in progress. Martins flying around everywhere. Also could see at least one fledgling on the set up and another two on the porch of the gourd. There were two beaks poking out of the gourd and I was able to watch those to come out and take flight. Incredible. One of the two fledglings on the porch was knocked around and ended up hanging upside down on the porch for about 30 seconds like a bat. And then it took its first flight. There are no more little beaks poking out of the gourd so I think all six have fledged. I am a very happy person at this time! Thanks to everyone for all the help along the way with making this happen.
TimG
Last edited by avesrun on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMCA Member
Home Site: 2012-15 visitors
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
Satellite Site: 2014 - visitors
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2016 - 13 pair, fledged 44
2017 - 31 pair, fledged 118
2018 - 44 pair, 163 fledged
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
warbird

congrats. this is my first year fledging also
joe
2015 8 pair
2016 35 pair
2017 55 pair
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Woooo hooooo!!!!! Yes you did it! Just have to be ecstatic! Congrats Tim! I know we all have did some time waiting and if everyone keeps trying it will happen! I came so close this year I could taste it. But it wasn't meant to be. So maybe next yr.?????? Oh happy days in Iowa :grin: :grin:
Sharon from southern Illinois
avesrun
34 pair
Fledged- 102

Thanks Sharon and war bird however I have to retract everything in the above post. It's unbelievable. I decided to do a walk under before I left the quarry I do all of my observations from a parking lot it's about 75 yards away with my spotting scope but when I did my walk under I found three fledglings on the ground I was able to get them inside a cardboard box that just happen to be in the back of my truck. When I picked up the fledglings they felt very soggy. So I immediately lowered the housing and there were still three fledglings inside the guard and the guard was a sloppy mess I could not believe what I was seeing. I had just looked at this next 27 days ago and the nest was completely dry and the pine needles perfect the sloppiness happened in 7 days! I proceeded to get my volunteer helper down to the site and she brought with her a couple ice cream buckets one with some warm water in it we're in stuff all 6 foot ceilings and got them back in the gourd and raised it back up using the plug method and hopefully all will be well yes I saw my fledglings take flight but the flight went to the ground! Thanks sharon and were bird however I have to retract everything in the above post. It's unbelievable. I decided to do a walk under before I left the quarry I do all of my observations from a parking lot it's about 75 yards away with my spotting scope But when I did my walk under I found 3 legged rings on the ground I was able to get them inside a cardboard box the just happen to be in the back of my truck. But I picked up the pledge wings mayfield dairy soggy. So I am mediately lowered housing and there were still 3 fledglings inside the cord and the gourd was a soppy mess I could not believe what I was seeing. I had just looked at this nest 7 days ago and the nest was completely dry and pine needles perfect The sloppy mess happened in 7 days! I proceeded to get my volunteer helper down to the site in she brought with her a couple ice cream bucket with some tepid water in it We gave all fledglings a quick wash and got them back in the cord and raised it back up using the plug method. hopefully all will be well Yes I saw birds take flight but the flight aaparently went to the ground! I have now become a non fan of Troyer hz gourds. Vents or no vents I'm questioning their reliability. Sorry for the grossly premature post. I believe my birds will be fine but only time will tell. The humidity of the past week hasn't helped and neither does the severe thunderstorm forecast that just as issued to counties directly west of my location. A big thanks to landlord Lynn in new Sharon Iowa for his consultation on the fly for some direction on how to deal with my situation.
TimG
PMCA Member
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

Whoa, what a nasty surprise, but you are definitely a landlord, doing what a landlord does, taking care of Martins. Congrats.
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
2020-62 pair.
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Nice job and what good timing on your part. I've not had any issues with my THG's with moisture. Huh.
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Tim, I am sorry you had to experience that. I know you did your best. I am so glad you walked over there. Did you get some clean nesting in the gourds? I have 4 horizontals with original venting holes drilled upward and I put 3/4 pvc. You let me know what you have please. Good luck, I'm praying for your babies! :grin:
taxidermy lady

Well how's things going Tim, are you there with your public quarry site. Just wondering how the babies are! Thanks
birdy girl

Tim
Sorry they went to ground but glad to noticed and corrected the nest problem and they are back in the nest. Maybe they will be ok.

I recently saw a post on the forum about water going in through the holes on bottom of gourds. Don't know what the answer is to correct water problems but we do have moisture problems with our Troyer gourds. They are a mess when we clean out our gourds.

Keep us updated on the babies.
stan davison

I have to agree, The Troyer horizontal can be a death trap if the nest gets wet. I plan on eliminating this product and re-thinking my set -up. This year the Trios, natural/super gourds did well and the Troyer verical had decent numbers.
taxidermy lady

The humidity has been just awful. Then all that poop from 6 babies! I would think it would be like a Seth pool inside. I sure hope they get in the air. Prayers, prayers, prayers. I am upset with how everyone has to modify this expensive housing for our friends to raise young in. If it's not all done the right way then disaster happens! We need a book with each housing on the market and what needs to be done to get our babies in the air! It just isn't right to pay 25 dollars for a gourd and you have to spend time to make it right. Sorry makes me ill. :cry:
avesrun
34 pair
Fledged- 102

Sharon you hit the nail on the head along with others. I too will strongly be considering removal of THG gourds. I don't blame it all on the gourd but darn near. I checked the gourd 7 days ago and all was very well. Dry needles and 6 very healthy martins. Another nest check in 4-5 days would've meant lowering housing at 24 days old. I decided to forgo (mistake) thinking wait till after fledging,avoid jumpers avoid that most everything I read said fledging occurs 26-28 days (wrong again;seems 28-30 not uncommon). The THG had made it through the entire season through several torrential downpours and even hot Temps and gourd stayed dry and martins unaffected. I am now convinced humidity was the crucial negative factor causing the gourd to become a sweat lodge and I'm not convinced vents would've made a significant difference. The nest with 4 young in the unvented t14 totally dry and young fine. My gourd nest went from dry to cesspool in 6 and a half days.
PMCA Member
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
avesrun
34 pair
Fledged- 102

Anyway after the nightmare earlier in the day, I was back at the quarry and about 4:45pm out squirms a fledgling and it flies haphazardly off the gourd porch at an angle downward. Soon thereafter another squirmed out and dropped nearly straight down. I walk over and cannot find the first one anywhere. I have about a 60ft dia. perimeter mowed under the setup and outside that is tall grass and weeds. I searched for quite awhile and could not find the Martin in the tall grass. I went back and scooped up the other 27 day old Martin who was still slightly moist from his bath earlier and decided to place it on my feeding tray which is about 4ft off the ground and near the Martin pole. My thought was let him air out and maybe it'll fly off. I went back to my vehicle to observe. Soon thereafter 2 more fledglings came out onto the gourd porch. They sat on the porch for a good 30-45 min. as did the other fledgling on the feeding tray. Parent martins fed them occasionally during this time. Trying to get the 3 back in the gourd was not an option. Lowering housing would likely cause the 2 on the porch to fly/spook possibly out into the Prairie abyss so I just sat and watched. At one point one of the porch fledgling was gone unnoticed and same happened to the feeding tray bird when I happened to be looking in different direction. I thought oh great. Still had one on the porch and didn't want to walk over and spook it so waited longer until finally I did see it fly off the gourd. It flew pretty well but down and away toward the quarry to where I did not see it gain any height. So there I sat with 4 fledged Martin's with little knowledge of whether any will make it out alive. I walked over to the setup and there were no birds on the ground visible. For the next hour parent Martin's continued to feed the 2 fledglings still in the gourd. I believe they also were keeping an eye on at least one or more fledglings out in the distant tall grass. At dark I saw no fledglings come in but possibly one flew in to a nearby apple tree as parents were flying around and interested and talking to something there just before sunset. I'm sick about the deal but the bee will bumble and the thunder rumble.
TimG
PMCA Member
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
avesrun
34 pair
Fledged- 102

taxidermy lady wrote:Tim, I am sorry you had to experience that. I know you did your best. I am so glad you walked over there. Did you get some clean nesting in the gourds? I have 4 horizontals with original venting holes drilled upward and I put 3/4 pvc. You let me know what you have please. Good luck, I'm praying for your babies! :grin:
Hi Sharon. high humidity is the culprit. Vented or unvented and regardless of nestling age if humidity is high and you own THG gourds I would plan on nest check minimum of every 4 days and have everything available to change out nest and string and plug ready for older nests. tests have shown that adding vents does little to lower temps and i hear of THG gourds with vents still getting soppy.Once young martins reach certain age at least two will spend much of the day plugging up the entrance tunnel pretty much cutting off any air going in the entrance. Furthermore, parent martins will less frequently go into gourd to do cleanup duty and I believe possibly some martins inside are fed less in last 2-3days of their life in the gourd. On Saturday this weekend I watched for over an hour and parent Martin only fed birds with head sticking out of gourd entrance and did not once go into gourd. Saw little if any evidence of fledglings taking turns at the entrance. Just my observation.
TimG
PMCA Member
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
taxidermy lady

Well I'm glad they flew Tim. They will be fine if the parents know where they went. Glad to hear the others are fine. You say they are in the wooden house?? That is a good thing. If they make it through the night. They should get dryer and maybe you will see them on the setup in the morning. Keep us updated.
If I was rich I would have jumped in my private plane and helped you!! :lol:
avesrun
34 pair
Fledged- 102

Thanks for the support Sharon! Strange how life rolls sometimes and we accept everything in the end that is placed in front of us happy sad good evil.

There are still two fledglings left in the clean vented and waterproofwaterproofed THG sweat lodge gourd and 4 babies doing well in the t14 nest. More rain humidity storms on the way today and then weather gets a little better they say. I'll keep you posted.
TimG
PMCA Member
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
John Evans

Tim, I too had many jumpers this season in a 2 week period. I also have 24 THR's 12 TVR's and 12 Supergourds. All of the jumpers came from the THR's. We have had cooler very wet summer with little time for nest checks . Interesting that all of the jumpers were from ASY parents THR's and the SY's dominate the TVR's with no jumpers that I'm aware of. Also no problem with the Super's either.

Hope the above makes sense?

I'm considering replacing some THR's with Excluder gourds next season.

Your post really gave me something to think about. Thanks you!

John
PMCA Member
avesrun
34 pair
Fledged- 102

Hi John:

Sorry to hear about the jumpers your way. I believe weather, particularly high humidity coupled with a nest of 6 twenty-two plus day old martins inside a ThG. was a big factor. I diligently did my nest checks every 4-5 days up until they were 20 days old and decided to skip the last check prior to fledging to avoid general disturbance, jumpers etc.and it came back to bite me in the a** ; I keep reiterating that the nest was dry as a bone one day and 7 days later was a soppy, wet mess. One last nest check I would've caught things before reaching such a stage and could've changed nest. I still was able to fledge 3 of the 6 and possibly 4. Will pay strong heed to humid conditions in future seasons which may require even more frequent nest checks (every 2-3 days).

Anyway, now that I've gotten past my ordeal, I meant to ask you how your jumpers fared; were you able to to retrieve and save all of them or did you lose some in the process? Just curious. Take care.
TimG
PMCA Member
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
John Evans

Tim, i was able to replace some but due to being caught off guard, ( all jumping within days) not able to help much, mostly cause both 12 unit gourd rack babies were all fledging within a couple of days of each other and like you I didn't want to disturb the situation any more than I did. A mistake!

The babies that I caught were wet and some dried on their own and flew away.
I watched several leave the ground for their first flight. I would guess I lost a few but based on the amount of jumpers I saw it ended up being a decent number survived the experience.

I will add that I have not checked the gourds to see how many young did not make it. I am almost afraid to look because my last nest check showed many more than I saw fledge, but I certainly learned a lesson, and have to regroup next season.I have started a plan of action to better monitor the martins next year,

Proper management is the key but it still is trial and error... had more errors than I care to admit!

Good luck as the season winds down and take care!

John
PMCA Member
avesrun
34 pair
Fledged- 102

Wow John and I thought I had it bad with one nest of jumpers! Great to hear some of them dried out and were able to take off from the ground. Hoping same for some of mine although the little washing I gave them prolonged that process. My helper friend Linda is down at the quarry right now and she's seeing fledglings going in/out of the nest gourd and others on the perches doing the wing flapping thing and believes there's 3 or 4 of them so I'm feeling a little better about things and glad I got to them in enough time to not have a total nest failure. But like you I have some thinking to do. Can imagine how tough it would be dealing with multiple jumpers with a large colony with multiple nests at varying ages. I think a person just needs to stick to a rigid nest check program every 4-5 days and have a long small diameter rope with several pieces of pipe insulation about 3"long tied every 3ft(credit Tim Mangan for that idea) for using the string and plug method on older nests . especially when humid hot and rainy weather is prevailing to monitor for wet nests due to the sweat lodge effect.
TimG
PMCA Member
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged