Need opinion help quick

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
birdy girl

We have a situation where all babies have fledged from this gourd except one baby. Looks ready to fledge to me. He was the only one left in gourd yesterday and today. This baby has 2 parents. I have really watched pretty good today and no bird is feeding this baby during the day today so far. Now late afternoon the parents bring the others back to cavity for the night and they do feed them very good before going in for the night. There are several adult and SY martins coming during the morning and one of the adults continually is looking into the gourd, flys away in circle when the other adults do and comes back to this gourd porch. At no time does this adult take any food into the gourd. Not for sure if it is SY male or female. Did see SY male looking in one time. I think this is just a nosey Martin sticking its nose in a gourd where it don't belong. We have another gourd with only 2 babies, appears to be same size as this baby. Problem is, only one parent feeding these 2 young. I have taken the baby out of gourd that isn't being fed and hand feeding it some thawed crickets. Will put it back after next feeding and hoping it will fledge in the morning with family when they leave for the day to feed. Or should I put in the gourd with 2 babies with one parent? No guarantee the the transplant will take or the baby will fledge tomorrow morning with family. Hard decision!! I am thinking about leaving in original gourd and hoping it gets more food from parents late evening and fledge tomorrow.

I did watch the parents and babies leave this nest this morning so parents were still alive this morning.

We only have one more gourd with babies and they don't have feathers yet.

So this decision could make or break this baby. Any thoughts on what I should do?
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

it's a coin toss, really - it's so hard to say what to do. how is the nestling's condition - is it thin or is weight okay? If okay, I'd leave it where it is.
birdy girl

Weight is good as of today. Will see what Sunday brings for this baby. Hope he fledges when others leave nest cavity Sunday morning. If he doesn't fledge Sunday, and not being fed, I may have to go with other option to move to other nest cavity.
Trishy
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 2009 with 2 pair.
Currently I have 3 gourd racks with 24 gourds. One gourd rack will be for sy arrivals only.
Bo Eleven gourds 20

I will be facing this same problem in about 2 weeks. I took a runt from an sy pair that has too many mouths to feed, and put him in another gourd for now. That is a sy pair also, but they are better parents, and seems like the runt is getting fed, however, he is way behind in growth of all other birds. When the babies with him fledge I will have to put him back in his original gourd because that will be the last gourd with babies. When they fledge I don't know what I am going to do. He won't be ready yet. I am hoping there will be a landlord in the area with babies yet, and maybe take him there to fledge. It is a big if. I think we can only do so much, and live with the fact that they all don't make it. It is frustrating at times. Good luck with your baby. Let us know how he makes out.
Trish
sg45

The mother is staying around colony and feeding the nestling. I suppose she was just staying with the young that fledged for a day or two to help teach them to catch their own food. The male and other baby came in for the night. So glad she decided to feed this baby so I didn't have to move it to the other gourd.

Trishy
I sure hope your nestling runt makes it to fledge. It is so worrisome when there is a problem with these babies and there is only 2 or 3 nests left as backup.

Birdy girl
Trishy
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 2009 with 2 pair.
Currently I have 3 gourd racks with 24 gourds. One gourd rack will be for sy arrivals only.
Bo Eleven gourds 20

Glad to hear the parents are still there. Sometimes it is hard to tell.
Trish