Chick with head wound photo

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

This chick hatched about 4 days ago. We weren't able to do a nest check for 3 days due to rain, so when we found them the nest of 5 had already hatched & this chicks head was cut open. His wound looks better today than it did yesterday. No idea how he got it, but to me it looks like a toenail ripped his head open.

Toy in PA
Attachments
IMG_5696chick head injury.jpg
IMG_5696chick head injury.jpg (56.84 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
PMCA Member
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Wow, ouchy! Glad yours isn't over the eye.
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
birdy girl

We had a baby Martin with a very similar injury as your pic shows. We moved the baby to a nest with 2 parents that were very active feeders of their young. I applied a very small amount of neosporin to the injury morning and evening for maybe 3 days. The injury healed and the baby did well and fledged with the other young in that nest. Don't know if I took the appropriate action but it all worked out wonderfully. Hope the baby in your picture gets better too.
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Hi Toy,

You sure have your hands full this year! Things can't get much worse, so hopefully it all starts getting better for you.

It appears that the weather will improve, that should help.

Bill
terriergal

ToyinPA wrote:This chick hatched about 4 days ago. We weren't able to do a nest check for 3 days due to rain, so when we found them the nest of 5 had already hatched & this chicks head was cut open. His wound looks better today than it did yesterday. No idea how he got it, but to me it looks like a toenail ripped his head open.

Toy in PA
Wow that looks awful. Keep us posted how he does.

I had found one with similar marks on it on the ground one year and ended up hand feeding it with canned mealies and eggs for a week or so before I put it back in a nest compartment with similar aged young. I hope he made it. He did survive the injury but they hadn't been as deep as that one. I would definitely put some neosporin on it or try some NFZ powder. (Nitrofurazone powder, it comes in a bottle that you 'puff' onto the wound).

I get that at the feed store, for dogs and cats, and have successfully used it on wounds on birds as well. The nice thing about that is that it is dry so it clings to the moisture of the wound and helps keep it from getting wiped off all over the place.
Paula in MN