Heavy Tropical Storm activity to move through Central Texas

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Matt@atx

with an emphasize on either Central Texas or South and East Texas with Louisiana. Forecast is up to 5- 8 inches in areas, flood watch warnings now in effect with the meat of it to hit Tuesday and Wed.

If the weather develops into a Tropical Storm Bill, this was bring the rains. Just not sure if the most rain will come up through the center of the state or up through the state slightly to the east which would hit areas like Houston.

You guys be safe and look out down there on the coast. Looks like some more wet nest changes may be coming. Temps drop a little with more rain.
2008~(1st yr) 4 pairs, 11 to 12 fledged
2009~(2nd yr) 9 pairs, 41 fledged
2010~(3rd year) 11 pairs. 50 fledged
2011~(4th year) 20 pairs, 23 out of 23 gourds Martin occupied, 3 fledged, the rest died in the drought. (1 new Blue Bird, 3 BB fledged.)
2012~ 26 pairs, approx. 100-110 fledged
Scully

Brings to mind the old saying...

Be careful what you ask for..... :???:

...sure hope this is the end of our multi-year drought, the local martins have been severely tested.

Mike
...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them. Canasatego 1744
Matt@atx

Tropical Storm Bill has hit the beaches in Galveston and surrounding. Swirling counter clockwise (westward). You guys in Houston and surrounding should be seeing something right now. All of Central Texas up to below DFW east to Louisiana state line down to the coast on Tornade-aah Watch.

Counties south east of the Austin area maybe subject to high winds which I read earlier today possibly 40- 55 mph.
2011~(4th year) 20 pairs, 23 out of 23 gourds Martin occupied, 3 fledged, the rest died in the drought. (1 new Blue Bird, 3 BB fledged.)
James Rieman

Matt, its been raining on and off all day, sometimes a light rain, but there are short periods of heavy rain too. My rain gauge shows about an inch. Apparently there's quite a bit more to come. I live on Sims Bayou. It is up but still within its banks. No heavy current. The martins are feeding in between showers and in milght to moderate rain. But they would like to forage more as there are many older and recently fledged nestlings that still need to be fed. I have my house lowered by about 25% in case the winds get heavy. So far not to bad. I hope foraging conditions improve soon.
James Rieman
Houston Texas
PMCA member
2011 - 3 SY pair
2012 - 7 pair
2013 - 10 pair
2014 - 12 pair
2015 - 16 pair
2016 - 17 pair
Matt@atx

Hey Dr. Reisman,

Good to hear from you.
I sure do hope your area does get a break. That last one was pretty hard down there. I noticed this season that when there are breaks between showers, the Martins go right back to it feeding.
As long as nothing else is happening like cold, high winds, hail and so forth, they work with it no problem.
James Rieman

Hi Matt, hope this weather misses you. I just came in from watching the martins during an hour long break in the rain. Lots of fledged youngsters hanging around the house and on porches calling loudly, occasionally making shjort forays in to the air to chase an adult. Hungry nestlings wet and bedraggled poking their heads out the entrances. Most of the time when an adult comes in they are empty handed, certainly no big items like dragonflies. Just not good foraging conditions up there iguess. Bad timing really hopefully better tomorrow as Bill moves toward Dallas. Overall I'm having a good season in spite of frequent Cooper's Hawk activity and one small snake that defeated netting and stovepipe guards. Fortunately i caught and relocated it before it caused too much chaos. Record numbers of birds this year with strong fledglings up to today. Hope you season is going well!
James Rieman
Houston Texas
PMCA member
2011 - 3 SY pair
2012 - 7 pair
2013 - 10 pair
2014 - 12 pair
2015 - 16 pair
2016 - 17 pair
tim414

I'm located a hour north of Dallas along the Red River (Sherman/Denison area). The rain started here yesterday. Light to heavy rain for a hour, and stopped for several hours and start again. I was in two different Counties today (Cooke/Grayson which border Oklahoma) and same weather pattern.

I'm liking it. Break from mid 90 temps. After this started, temp went from 90+ to 84 and fell a few degree/hour to low 70's. I also like the rain because we had been in a drought. Lake Texoma was 15 ft below normal. So, the cooler temps and rain, I like.....!!(jus not to much at one time-lol)
Matt@atx

hey Dr. Reisman,

I think the season has gone well so far as well. I have 7 clutches less then a week old and 1 still needing to hatch with many others slated for take off within a 1- 1.5 weeks. I had troubles with Starlings for good while same as you had in the past and then a little Sparrow egg breaking shortly after that. Looks like both problems got corrected so we are looking at the work of wet nest changes if needed and watching temps at this time in the season.
We got light rain and a long drizzle being on the back side of that swirl so no heavy rain.
Your area looked like it was in the swirl and this morning, it looks to be more in there. I would imagine you are getting some moderate to heavy rain right now.
After today, I think it moves on so if your young birds got to eat some yesterday, they should pull through. When rain lets up, I noticed they get right back out there
Matt@atx

tim414 wrote:I'm located a hour north of Dallas along the Red River (Sherman/Denison area). The rain started here yesterday. Light to heavy rain for a hour, and stopped for several hours and start again. I was in two different Counties today (Cooke/Grayson which border Oklahoma) and same weather pattern.

I'm liking it. Break from mid 90 temps. After this started, temp went from 90+ to 84 and fell a few degree/hour to low 70's. I also like the rain because we had been in a drought. Lake Texoma was 15 ft below normal. So, the cooler temps and rain, I like.....!!(jus not to much at one time-lol)
Hey Tim,

From looking at the radar, I'd imagine you are enjoying what appears to be going on up there in Dallas and north of it at this time. Looks like you guys are getting solid rain. Its spinning appearing to just hang over that area.
If this is getting to where you are, I'm glad you getting much rain and coolness. :grin: Man does that matter here in June and July. :grin:

It looks like Houston and surrounding areas and Dallas and surrounding areas are getting hit pretty solid with some rain right now.
We got air in Austin and surrounding :lol:
Hope your birds are doing well.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

We heard from a Galveston area landlord this morning by email and phone. His martin system came down in the storm, some nestlings ended up in the water and were lost. But he was able to rescue a group of 8 or 9, all very close to fledge age - they could fly a bit but could not sustain flight.

We gave him number of area rehabbers to contact, but suggested another option to try as well. Prop the house up as best he could, even if that meant securing it to stepladder with bungee cords, and staking the ladder so it would not blow over. Put the martins into rooms that looked 'used' and monitor to see if adults returned and fed them.

He just called to say he was able to put some of the house back together - one floor of what sounded like a Heath house. (Pole failed at a coupling he had installed and house smashed when it came down.) He put martins into several rooms since he didn't know which ones they were in to begin with. Adults returned as soon as the house was up, and he is keeping an eye on things to see if babies are being fed. Since they sound about 24 days old, it may be they only need a couple of days of care til they are flying, and ready to learn how to catch their own food. This is a good example of how resilient martins can be - landlords, too.
tim414

Excellent.

The rain started continuously here at around 5 a.m. this morning and has not had a break. Moderate to heavy rain. We may get 6 inches which ia now going to aggravate the Red River flooding down stream in areas of:

Eastern Texas
Arkansas
Louisana

Lake Texoma held back huge amounts of water but overflowed setting a record two weeks ago. It had risen to nearly 4 foot above flood stage. The spillway is is a half mile wide and it was spilling a 4 foot wall of water (a half mile wide). Plus all flood gates were open.

We had a two week break in rainfall. Texoma is now rising rapidly again because they were generating electricity which of course lowers the lake level but not as fast as it would have leaving the flood gates open. I hope it does not flood again because the people living down river will flood again if it does. Texoma's primary purpose was flood control and power generation for ONLY rural homes and municipalities. It's against the law for businesses to buy any of the power it produces. It's only for rural areas in six States.
Matt@atx

Louise Chambers wrote:We heard from a Galveston area landlord this morning by email and phone. His martin system came down in the storm, some nestlings ended up in the water and were lost. But he was able to rescue a group of 8 or 9, all very close to fledge age - they could fly a bit but could not sustain flight.

We gave him number of area rehabbers to contact, but suggested another option to try as well. Prop the house up as best he could, even if that meant securing it to stepladder with bungee cords, and staking the ladder so it would not blow over. Put the martins into rooms that looked 'used' and monitor to see if adults returned and fed them.

He just called to say he was able to put some of the house back together - one floor of what sounded like a Heath house. (Pole failed at a coupling he had installed and house smashed when it came down.) He put martins into several rooms since he didn't know which ones they were in to begin with. Adults returned as soon as the house was up, and he is keeping an eye on things to see if babies are being fed. Since they sound about 24 days old, it may be they only need a couple of days of care til they are flying, and ready to learn how to catch their own food. This is a good example of how resilient martins can be - landlords, too.

How awful to hear Louise. I hope this person can recover as much as possible after something like that. If they take to a tall step latter, no reason not to keep that way for the rest of the season at this point.

What a great emergency idea. I hope that person has not suffered other property damages.
Matt@atx

tim414 wrote:Excellent.

The rain started continuously here at around 5 a.m. this morning and has not had a break. Moderate to heavy rain. We may get 6 inches which ia now going to aggravate the Red River flooding down stream in areas of:

Eastern Texas
Arkansas
Louisana

Lake Texoma held back huge amounts of water but overflowed setting a record two weeks ago. It had risen to nearly 4 foot above flood stage. The spillway is is a half mile wide and it was spilling a 4 foot wall of water (a half mile wide). Plus all flood gates were open.

We had a two week break in rainfall. Texoma is now rising rapidly again because they were generating electricity which of course lowers the lake level but not as fast as it would have leaving the flood gates open. I hope it does not flood again because the people living down river will flood again if it does. Texoma's primary purpose was flood control and power generation for ONLY rural homes and municipalities. It's against the law for businesses to buy any of the power it produces. It's only for rural areas in six States.

Hey Tim,

Sure hope yall do not get flooding and problems. Rain and coolness is always good for us all but not the damages. I sure hope that does not happen up there.
Looking at the radar now, there looks to be a temporary loss in rain intensity in Houston some of the storm body north of Dallas is pealing northward into Oklahoma. Maybe you are experiencing a break from that(?)
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

One problem with using a stepladder is difficulty of protecting from snakes and raccoons - could add netting to legs, but that's about it. Martins will use a shorter pole okay, but this guy is going to rebuild his site from scratch next year.

A plus to the minus of losing house and birds, he is reading & learning - did not know about starling-resistant entrances, had starlings nesting too, so he will be able to upgrade housing for the future with srehs and something sturdier for the martins.