Squirrel Proof Bird feeder

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

This is kinda OT, but has anyone here succeeded in finding a bird feeder for seed that the squirrels can't outsmart? My mom has tried the kind that shuts when they get on the perch and the kind with the baffle to try to block them from climbing the pole. They always figure them out.

thanks,
Ian
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Hi Ian.

I suppose somebody somewhere may have designed the "perfect" squirrel proof bird feeder. But, I don't know of it.

Several years ago, I saw a show on TV and that was the subject. They had created an obstacle course and the wiley squirrel always figured it out. :lol:
Sincerely,
Laverne

Do a Google search on Yankee Flipper. Be sure to watch the video!

Mark
CUL Lou~Mich

Hmmm, quite ingenious. CUL Lou
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

...purty funny, too... :lol:
Sincerely,
Laverne

I have the kind that shuts when too much weight is on feeder. Squirrels can knock a little seed out, but thats about it. If you had it hanging from a sheperd's hook and had a baffle on it, and it was placed 15 feet from anything it could use to jump to it, I think you would be in business.

when I did this the squirrel actually went on my roof to see if he wanted to jump from there....decided not to.

sharon

I ended up getting one of S&K's Skip-a-Squirrel feeders. We'll see how it works. $120 for the Yankee Flipper is a bit steep, but I bet it would really be entertaining. :)

Ian

We made gards by cutting the top off of through away tanks from serviceing air coditioners and refrigerators,punch hole in bottom,
turn it upsidedown over the post, place about 4' off the ground.
This keeps the critters out of our bl bird houses, I put it on a feeder
post----no more squirls. over a 100 on blubird posts