Martin-less no more! Algonkian Park public colony rehab

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
wastrox
Martin Colony History: A new purple martin wannabe landlord, I took over management of long neglected colonies at two public golf courses Spring of 2015. I had 20 nesting pairs at Algonkian Golf Course and 15 at Brambleton.

I'm VERY excited and maybe a little crazy. I volunteered to manage a long neglected site at the Algonkian Regional Park Golf Course in Sterling, VA. I'm a serious newbie but hey, I've got all you brilliant people behind me so how can I go wrong? One of the very few landlords in the area mentioned there were martin houses on this golf course so I drove by Thursday afternoon to check it out. Met the assistant super for maintenance, got a little info, took a quick look around and things sounded promising. Went back today and just caught the boss before he left for the holiday weekend. He's the one who purchased the housing in 2006. Not sure exactly but he thinks there are 5 or 6 Trios MSS12 scattered across the course. There were a couple of houses there before he got there which must be the two Trio Castles with 24 compartments that I saw. The boss, Bryan, is the golf course grounds super for the Algonkian course and another also in the Northern VA Regional Park System further out in Loudoun County where there are unmanaged houses as well. Anyway, I told him I'm a PMCA member and very enthusiastic about volunteering to work with his martins, that this is a new passion for me but that I have access to lots of info and support, etc. He said great! and get this ... he even has funds to allocate for colony management! Wow! I nearly hugged the guy! I was thinking I would need to be doing some fundraising for the basics but maybe not! Funny how things work out ... not exactly what I had visualized when I put up my housing and started my quest for martins but pretty darn awesome nonetheless. I'll be converting housing, educating staff, doing nest checks and EVERYTHING in the coming weeks. Just in time for the fun stuff with babies and all that. I have no idea how many martins, nests, etc are there but I saw 6 or 8 at one time at one end of the golf course when I first arrived and then several here and there during my remaining time there so there are several pair I'm guessing. I'll have TONS of questions and would like to use this forum thread to get your advice and support. Yay! It's going to be SO FUN!! :lol:
2015 Obsessed Newbie - brand spankin' new 6 gourd Troyer system at home and only lookers
2015 took over management in late May of sites at two golf courses with active colonies
Henry Limpet
Martin Colony History: Trendsetter-8. Set up in 2014 at my summer cottage, a beautiful natural inland lake in N.E. Indiana's Amish Country. T-8 is on cleared land behind my pole barn and adjacent to a farmer's field

2015: Had several flyovers in early June with 1 dedicated SYM visitor who visited each day for well over a month. He brought by a few PM "parades", with 8-12 PM's who would visit all at once, but soon leave. (Added 2 gourds to bottom of the T-8). We discovered a large (Amish) colony apx. 3/4 mile South of our T-8, while on a bike ride through the country. We think this will eventually be our "feeder" colony.

2016: Put up a Trio G'Pa lakeside. Overall, not as much interest as 2015, likely because of our vacation to Gulf Shores, AL. in early June.

2017: Finally switched over to wheat straw. Success!! One nesting pair. Fledged 4!

2018: Zilch.

2019: Slow start, nothing observed by mid June. Wet, cold Spring a factor??

Wow! Brenda, that was very generous of you to volunteer. I know you will succeed!

Maybe they will paint a golf cart purple for you to use? Hey, they've been receptive so far, eh? :wink:

Everyone: Have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Weekend, with lots of PMs of course! Heading to the promised land tomorrow afternoon.
Be careful how you wish . . for wishes can come true . . be sure that every wish you make is one that's right for you!
John Miller

Brenda

Cool.

Don't get in over your head. I'd not think there's time to reconfigure housing this year and martins have fledged successfully for decades in traditional Trio housing.

Suggest..and just "suggest" you concentrate on nest checks and control of mites this year, and maybe adding predator guards to poles with housing that's identified as having martins nesting. also check for subfloors. Wet nests can kill babies.

Keep looking up,
John Miller
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Congrats Brenda ! John is right of course, I'd deal with what you have now, BUT ! You have GREAT Housing to work with! :grin: You should make an "OFF Season" plan on what you want done to each house ! :grin:
I Know the Trio Nuts Here on the forum, Matt F., Mark, Andrew, my self, & I'm more than sure I missed many more !, would ALL be drooling to get our paws on those houses! :grin: Of course 6"X12" Rooms Must be in order for next season, to start with ! :grin: 2 Castle 24s ??? :shock: :shock: :grin: !! Good luck, Keep us posted ! :grin:
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
wastrox
Martin Colony History: A new purple martin wannabe landlord, I took over management of long neglected colonies at two public golf courses Spring of 2015. I had 20 nesting pairs at Algonkian Golf Course and 15 at Brambleton.

Yes John, will definitely need to triage. I'm going to assess and document then make a plan. I do know that TRES are abundant and appear to have claimed at least one of the castles. Plus, there are way too many starlings and sparrows about. Many of them are nesting in the roof of the maintenance building, around the light fixtures etc but I expect to find some cavities might be claimed by them as well. First nest check could be ugly. At this point, I can't even lower the housing on the telescoping poles using the rope as the latch isn't functioning. The only management has been provided by the grounds crew and all they've done every year is put up the housing in the spring, take it down at the end of the summer, clean out the nests and store for the winter. I ordered a 12 pack of SREHS for the Trios that should arrive Tuesday. Hopefully I'll have enough info to put together an action plan by then. Can't wait to get back out there and get one of these houses down to see what we've got!
2015 Obsessed Newbie - brand spankin' new 6 gourd Troyer system at home and only lookers
2015 took over management in late May of sites at two golf courses with active colonies
avesrun
Martin Colony History: Home Site: 2017- 0
2016 - 1st pair, fledged 5
Satellite Site: 2017 (3rd season)
34 pair
Fledged- 102

Hi Brenda: That is the nearly the same situation I have here. I have a golf course about 2 mi. from my home. They have 4 or 5 trios also. They put them up in spring and take down in Fall. Their poles do not lower at all though except by releasing at base so whole house tilts with pole when lowering.

I offered to help them out but they are not willing to invest anything so Im sort of backing out. If I ever win the lottery or somehow come into some funding I would donate . They seem to be ok with sparrows and starlings living with their martins. Their martin population seems to be declining each year. They have no sreh.

The owner of the course did say he MAY start to change out the equipment but I don't know how truthful he's being. I have offered my help and will continue to 'bug" them. If I can convince them to replace one pole at a time it will be a start.

Best of luck.
Tim
PMCA Member
Home Site: 2012-15 visitors
2016 - 1st pair, fledged 5
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
Satellite Site: 2014 - visitors
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2016 - 13 pair, fledged 44
2017 - 31 pair, fledged 118
2018 - 44 pair, 163 fledged
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
Courtney-NC
Martin Colony History: 2009-2015-Helped to manage Raleigh site, 36 cavities
2016- 33 pairs at Raleigh site, 1 pair at home site.
2017- 34 pairs at Raleigh site, 3 pairs + extra SYs at home site
2018- 33 pairs at Raleigh site, 5 pairs + extra SYs at home site
2019 - 32 pairs at Raleigh site, 7 pairs at home site, 2 pairs at new Holly Springs park site

Hi Brenda,

I think it is AWESOME of you to volunteer to take on this project! Thank you for helping out and taking a step for the bigger picture outside your own yard! I think it is especially important to take care of martin housing in sites where the public is exposed to them, so that folks can see what well-managed martin housing looks (and sounds) like! (Aka not overrun with HOSP and EUST.) It might not be there *yet* but with time, you will get it up to par. Like John said, don't try to do too much at once. There's plenty that can be done in the off-season, too! Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!
-Courtney
-------------------
NC Purple Martin Society (PMCA affiliate)
http://www.ncpurplemartin.org
wastrox

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Tim, I noticed in your signature that you are putting four Trio houses on a multi-purpose pole. I'll be making recommendations for new poles and placement of the housing for next year so I'm interested in how that works out for you. Which houses are they? Any pics?
wastrox

Trying to figure out how to approach the first nest check. The first major problem is that I haven't been able to lower any of the houses that I've checked so far because the latch won't release. I'm worried about tugging and pulling too hard on the rope given some nests likely have eggs already. Someone suggested it might be necessary to unscrew the top half of the pole that has the house on it and carefully lowering it to take the house off the pole for the nest check and maintenance. Obviously I would need at least one other person to help me do this safely. Though not ideal in terms of the time and effort to do this, it will make it possible to lubricate and or make other repairs so lowering it next time won't be a problem. Also, advice regarding keeping any modifications to the housing to a minimum until the off season will be heeded but what about installing the SREHs and possibly a DIY owl/hawk guard? When I was out there yesterday, I believe I saw a Coopers. The park is on the banks of the Potomac River and there is tons of wildlife including accipiters. There's actually a tiny island in the Potomac shown on the park map called Sharpshinned Island. Yikes! Anyway, I'm inclined to install a guard sooner rather than later. Also, it could function as perching since there really isn't any on the top of the houses. Finally, what about installing subfloors with a nest replacement? I believe this was suggested all ready. I think I saw somewhere plans for the cage guard but any guidance on DIY subfloors? I don't have time to order.
Don~VA
Martin Colony History: Had a colony many years ago which dwindled over a couple of years and then did not return. Kept trying each year for almost 20 years and finally had a small success in 2011 with two pairs nesting. Colony has grown slowly each year with 22 pairs in 2015. In 2016 my gourd rack of 18 gourds filled up so I added 4 more gourds and then put up a small rack of 6 gourds. All of those were claimed within a few days so I believe I have at least 25 pairs this year.

Hi Brenda
Congratulations and Good Luck with your endeavor! It is wonderful of you to volunteer to under take such a task. Maybe others will see your efforts and offer to help and become passionate about hosting Purple Martins. If you don't already know you may be interested in the PM Field Day in Louisa county. See Sticky note at top of page for details.
Best of Luck and Enjoy :)
Don~Northern Neck of Virginia-PMCA Member
John Miller

Brenda

Many ways to make subfloors for Trio housing. I have made some close to factory kind by buying a single piece of aluminum house siding from Home Depot -- comes in 8 foot length -- cutting out the right-sized floor pieces with tin snips, and then using needle nose pliers to bend down a tab on two sides to elevate slightly. I might drill some holes in it for drainage.

If above is too ambitious, you can make a fast floor out of "hardware cloth," sometimes called rat wire. It's just wire mesh that's about one-half inch squares. Cut with tin snips and bend down tabs. It's a little "pokey" on the hands. You might find some plastic coated variety that's a little easier to work with. The downside is that water may wick through it, but it elevates the nests and holds the nest material secure...I'd tend to favor this method for your situation. However, just a good base of dry white pine needles also helps keeps nests dry in Trio housing.

Some people make subfloors of Styrofoam, wood, even just a square of roofing shingle cut with a utility knife (place in units gravel side up) helps keep nests dry, and that also may be an easy option.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Brenda,
I completely agree with John Miller's suggestion. Don't try to do too much right now. You will overwhelm yourself and get discouraged.
My suggestion for a quick and low cost means to elevate the nests off of the Trio floors is 1/2" X 4 ft. X 8 ft. squared edge insulating sheath (otherwise known as extruded foam board) from your local home improvement outlet. At $15-16, you can make a lot of "dri-nest" subfloors. I do not recommend white Styrofoam which is too flimsy and soft. The extruded foam board is usually colored - pink, blue, purple, etc.
Cut the foam board with a utility knife to make sub floors smaller than the compartment size, drill about 5 of 1/4" holes in the foam board to allow drainage. Do not be concerned how pretty the cut is or how neat the holes pattern is. When you install the foam board under the nest, put the harder, slick side up. The females will scratch a nest bowl in the foam board where they want. You will find small chucks of the foam board settled into the nest at the end of the season. No big deal. It cleans up easily with the old nest.
So at the time of installing the foam board sub floor, remove any eggs or babies (occupants) to a bucket filled 1/3 way up with pine needles as a holding place for old nest's occupants, discard the old nest, swipe out the compartment's floor so that the foam board can sit relatively flat against the Trio house aluminum floor, make a new, shallow nest out of pine needles over the foam board, and put the compartment's occupants back in the nest.
All of this effort may seem too drastic to a new landlord like you but the female martin will come back to the nest, rearrange your best efforts and everybody is happy.
The golf course grounds usually has some pine needles under pines trees somewhere along the sides of the fairways. Some people will be particular about the species of pine needles but I have found that the martins don't care. I do cut the long leaf pine needles into smaller length to make it easier to install the needles into the compartment and prevent longer needles from getting knotted on the adults' legs. I must admit that I do not manage as many compartments as you are probably dealing with. So be practical and reduce anything that takes too much time.
Your current job is to triage and crisis manage the most immediate, critical problems.

I was at first confused by your references to "latches" until I figured out that you meant the lanyard lock. These locks are worthless in my opinion and are something dreamed up to overcome lawsuits.
Are you aware that to lower the houses you must hold the rope out at an angle to unlatch the lanyard lock and lower the house?
Mark.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
wastrox

Thanks so much guys! Mark, I think your suggestion about the subfloors is brilliant and I will pursue. Still very much in the assessment stage but need to get going on predator guards, etc. asap. I'm going to try to include a youtube link here of one of the Castles I observed yesterday. Wouldn't you know it, it has the most martins of all the housing on the course which by my count includes 3 24 compartment Castles and 6 6 compartment houses. Everything looks to be in good shape with the exception of this Castle. Again, the poles are a major problem on all of them because I cannot get a single one to lower. In any event, please check out this video. It looks like maybe a raccoon got a hold of this at one point. The bottom compartments are all without floors except the one you see on the left so there are only 19 compartments. Looks like there are at least 8 nesting pairs currently there, probably more. Here's the link to the video. I think I'll go to the PMCA facebook page and see if I can't post it there too. Haven't been there for awhile because I've been so busy!

Couldn't figure out how to attach this video from my own files or how to attach the youtube link. You'll need to cut and post the link below in your browser. Sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6nVQhf ... yIFTC-nM5x
patw

is that not a heath house?
2013 1 pair 4 fledged
2014 4 pair 17 fledged
2015 10 pair 44 fledged
2016 22 pair 95 eggs-most fledged
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Hey Brenda, all great advise here ! The Only thing I can say is that Patw is correct, it appears the castle ( or both ?) are Heath. No problem, now, best to go with the flow of that house , and I sure others here will give you the best advise on how to complete this season with that Heath house. But, at least you can let the park people know that the Best ( or better ) option would be to get rid of the Heath(s) after this season and see if you/ they can get their hands on a new ( from the PMCA store) or even a donated used ( from members here ?) :grin: MSS-12s, or M-12Ks . Others will chime in, I'm holding 2 Very Used MSS-12s for Mark, that need a lot of work,( that Mark can do easily ) but for less stress & time, let's see if there is a better option. But we'll keep 1 of mine in mind. Good Luck ! And Thank You for diving in & helping the PMs there ! Only Better things ahead ! :grin:
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Brenda,
Good news is that you have a very busy and thriving colony in that martin house.
Bad news is that it is a Heath house. These houses are cheap in material and construction. Their design is not compatible to nest checks and nest changes during the nesting season.
As we proceed with triage, you need to realize that this house will be near impossible to raise and lower this season. The telescoping pole sections are probably frozen together. Besides, if you could lower it, then all you could do is apply some Sevin dust (5% carbamyl dust) just inside the entrances to let the adult martins carry and spread the insecticide into the nest. Nest changes and installing sub floors are not possible on this house. Sorry but true.
A ladder tall enough to reach this house would be very tall and unsteady on the golf course grounds.
Can we see pictures of the smaller compartment houses?
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
wastrox

I was wondering why there weren't any railings on these Castles. The other two there are in much better shape but given the other issues, seems like they're not worth the effort. Having said that, aren't I stuck with at least this one this season since they're already nesting in it? Is there no way to get access to the inside of the compartments? I was thinking if there are no nests in one of the remaining two Heaths that maybe I could switch it out with the one that is dilapidated. I could take down the good house, pre-nest all compartments and then place the eggs (don't think any would have hatched yet but could be wrong) back in the same compartments they are in in the old house. I would make sure to mount the replacement house oriented exactly as the old house was and then hopefully the martins would return to the corresponding compartment in the replacement house. Would they do that? If I don't have any way to get the contents of the compartments out without damaging eggs though I guess that idea won't work regardless of whether the martins would mind the new house. What do you think? I hate the thought of just letting the house be and hope for the best. For all I know, these are the only nesting pairs on the course. The other houses are MSS12 based on what I've been told on one of the martin fb pages. See pics attached.
Attachments
MSS12.jpg
MSS12.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
MSS12_on pole.jpg
MSS12_on pole.jpg (119.3 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
Anthony Neira

Hey Brenda, I wouldn't change houses. It MIGHT throw them off, maybe not, but I wouldn't take a chance with the eggs already being there. You could Change the nest material if you have too in the Trio, but the Heaths are a pain, since you have to remove/ slide out the Floors ! but, STILL TAP in a little bit of Sevin Dust long a spot where the nest meets the inside side walls and corners to stop mites, that alone will help the survival of the young tremendously, Better than none ! :wink: Just make sure the Sevin Dust gets tap down into the nest material. On the Trio you can still add Porch Dividers ( PMCA Store :grin:) ! They will really help the young stay Mostly in their door/porch area. Don't over stress yourself !, you're REALLY taking on a REAL Super's Job. Do All the BIG Changes this off season! :grin: You have Great Spirit ! :grin:
wastrox

I've been looking for sevin dust. All I find is liquid or granular. Any suggestions? So no way to even look in the compartments?
Anthony Neira

I Hope I say this right, I get my Sevin 5% at "Wally :wink: Mart" ! Yeah , unless someone has already modified the Heath Doors or walls with access doors, there's no way to check, unless you remove the roof, real quick ( don't see how?) but that again would have had to Already been modified way before hand. Just think, this fall, replace it, take the steel screws & nuts off & turn it in to a Recycle center, & put what ever change $(?) you get back, for them, back in the other houses ! :grin: