SY Male has arrived

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Spotted a SY Male this morning. He has NO dark spots on his chest, just vent area. Wings are more purple. I figured something was up due the actions of the colony. Finally I spotted him.

The SY Male was sitting on a balcony along with a ASY pair that has a nest built. He flew off & landed on top of our chain link fence rail, along with a SY Female. Then he flew to the power lines.

The colony has been actively nest building for several days now. I swear those nests will withstand a major storm by the amount of twigs, straw, grass, etc they are using. One has brought in wet dried leaves. I have to laugh at the 2 foot long twisted twigs they try to bring in & cram into the holes. I have been picking up hand fulls of them & breaking them into smaller pieces.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Dan G
Martin Colony History: Trying since 2014. Visitors, but no nests. Several colonies with in 6 mile radius.
2020- An SY male built a nest but could not attract a mate.

Good news Toy. I have a stiff neck from looking up the past two days. We have had southerly winds for 3 days now, and i was just sure i would get a visitor or two, but no such luck. The barn and tree swallows catch my attention. I know there is still time, and did manage to stop a starling that has been snooping around. At least I know it wont be bothering the house while i am at work this week.
Bellefonte PA
2014, 1st year-a few lookers, no nests
2015, 'Spot' SY male, here every day from 5-28 to 6-23
2016 added a perch wire between house and gourd rack
offering 22 cavities, T-14 plus 8 gourds
2016, multiple visitors from 6-20 on. Almost daily
2017- Lots of visitors late in season.
2018- Adding another T-14. Few visitors
2019- Hopeful but stopped holding my breath
2020-SY male built a nest.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Dan G wrote:Good news Toy. I have a stiff neck from looking up the past two days. We have had southerly winds for 3 days now, and i was just sure i would get a visitor or two, but no such luck. The barn and tree swallows catch my attention. I know there is still time, and did manage to stop a starling that has been snooping around. At least I know it wont be bothering the house while i am at work this week.
Dan:
I know what you mean......I have to limit looking up as I have a metal rod in my neck :(.

Don't give up....many more are on their way :).

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Don~VA
Martin Colony History: Had a colony many years ago which dwindled over a couple of years and then did not return. Kept trying each year for almost 20 years and finally had a small success in 2011 with two pairs nesting. Colony has grown slowly each year with 22 pairs in 2015. In 2016 my gourd rack of 18 gourds filled up so I added 4 more gourds and then put up a small rack of 6 gourds. All of those were claimed within a few days so I believe I have at least 25 pairs this year.

Glad to hear SYs have arrived in your area Toy. I identified my first one only two days earlier but I think one was here before that. Like yours it did not have the identifying purple on his chest so I was unsure and had to wait until a second SY male arrived to report him. Lots of nest building and squabbling at my site. :)
Don~Northern Neck of Virginia-PMCA Member