An interesting experiment

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Mary Wilson-SW Ont

We have a martin with young in a supergourd hanging on a shepherds hook. These martins are so easy to peek in on that I do it several times every day. They looked healthy, but there are six of them, and these parents have not been observed going to the feeder tray at all. So I thought how do I give them crickets in an unporched gourd - if I put them inside, they'll just disappear among the nesting material. So I took one of those thin paper muffin cups, trimmed it down to about 3/4" high, and put a bunch of thawed crickets in it. I put it carefully just inside the entrance hole. When momma came, I couldn't see what she was doing, but the next time I looked, there were less crickets in it. And the next time after that, even less. And then, the paper piece was on the ground ! I looked inside the gourd and didn't see any crickets in the nest, so I think she must have given them to her babies, and then did her housecleaning.
Matt F.

Great report Mary!

Sounds like the cup on the ground is the sign for the waiter or waitress to bring more crickets! Image

a great idea....I am trying to offer frozen crickets on a 4 foot platform. the one pair of martins I have aren't going for it. the bluebirds eat them only as a last resport. maybe a paper muffin cup glued to the porch would be a good idea. I was trying to figure out how I could put crickets on the porch without them landing on my head as I raised the house. Your little muffin tray sounds like the perfect idea.
thanks