Anyone hear from Connie?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
threelilkids
Martin Colony History: 2014 1 pair 3 hatched 3 fledged
2015 1 pair 5 hatched 5 fledged
2016 1 pair 5 hatched 4 fledged
2017 2 pair 8 hatched 8 fledged
2018 4 pair 15 hatched

Last I heard she was down sizing because of health. She lives somewhere in Walker La. Would love to go help and check on her but I don't know where she lives. Walker La. is one town over from me. Can anyone help me help Connie? Thanks, Mary
threelilkids
2018 4 pair 15 hatched

Thanks, Louise but I need and phone number or address, Or some form of contact way. I messaged my phone number to her but haven't heard from her and haven't seen a post from her since.
Mary
baileysambone

Mary,
I live in BR. I've talked to Connie on the phone but I think that was in 2013. I had her phone number, but it was saved in the private messages on the forum, and they have disabled that on the forum. Most of our communication was through PM on the forum.
I replied when she posted about down sizing , offered to go and help her and left my phone number in her post, but have not heard from her.
She lives in Walker, Her last name is St Romain.
If you want to call me, my number is 225 344-7912.
I will look through things here and see if I can find her phone number.
She does book keeping and is extremly busy during tax season, so maybe that is why we haven't heard from her.
Yvonne
2011 visitors
2012 1 pair ASY male, SY female 9 eggs, 8 hatched, fledged 5
2013 5 pairs fledged 8
2014 4 pairs fledged 15
2015 7 pairs fledged 25
2016 10 pairs fledged 31
2017 17 pairs fledged 69
2018 18 pairs fledged 69
2019 21 pairs fledged 52 (biting gnats lost babies)
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Mary/Yvonne,
I have emailed Connie to inform her of our concern and interest in her well being.
I will wait for her response.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
threelilkids
2018 4 pair 15 hatched

Thanks, Yvonne and Mark, I would love to make sure she is doing well and add help to her if it is needed.
Mary
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Mary,
No email response from Connie St Romain.
I was hoping that she was busy as a bookkeeper with tax season and as things settled down that she would respond.
I hope she will respond so that we can be sure that she is okay.
I am sure that you know that internet search has multiple pings about her and her bookkeeping, tax preparation, and notary services, etc.
It does not surprise me that her business has a lot of Likes on Facebook.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Connie
Martin Colony History: Had my site up to 22 gourds of which most (+/-3) stayed occupied.
Downsized to 17 gourds due to back surgeries. Had 14 families in 2017 but did not do nest checks due to health. Feeling better in 2018 and hoping for a good year.

Hey Mark, Mary, Yvonne & Louis,
I'm Ok and thank you all for your concern. How very sweet to open my email from Mark and then to go to the forum and see y'all asking about me!!! It made my day!
:grin:
About 6 weeks ago I picked up the grandbaby and fragmented a disc in my lower back. I had surgery this past Friday and I am just now feeling a little better. I am only aloud to sit up for 20 to 30 minutes at a time so I may not be online much.
I ended up putting one of my racks back up so I have 17 gourds and it looks like about 14 are taken. We have only done one nest check since I got hurt and I didn't have any eggs. I'm sure I must have some by now.
My hubby has been helping me a lot, it was his idea to put one of the racks back up. He felt bad when he saw so many martins hanging around. But it is great because he put it in the front yard this time and I can look out my window and see them when I'm in my office! I love it!!
Thanks again for checking on me, can't tell you how much it lifted my spirits after being down with another surgery. I hope you all are having a great season. I will be checking in at least weekly now!
Always said this forum has the best people on earth as members. :) :)
Connie
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Connie - get well soon! So glad you are on your way to mending. And your husband put your rack up for you!
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

I second that Connie, love everyone on this forum! All so eager to help everyone! Get well soon! I wasn't sure who they were looking for but I'm glad they heard from you! Good luck THIS YEAR AND ENJOY! :grin:
Sharon from southern Illinois
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Deluxe Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 8 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I care for a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also care for a Deluxe Gourd rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, care for a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

We wish you a SPEEDY recovery Connie.

Good hearing about you all and your martins.

Carl
threelilkids
2018 4 pair 15 hatched

I have been away for awhile, So glad you are ok Connie. Get well soon, don't scare us like that :wink: .
Mary
terriergal

I'm new to the forum (well, kinda lurking and not on here much) but sounds like you have a very good husband Connie! Neat to see everyone looking out for friends.
Paula in MN