Pulley system broke - help request

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Michael N

Hey everyone!
Last year was my first full season - used a trio grandma handed down from Dad from when I was growing up and mounted 2 gourds under it. Ended up with 3 pair which I was thrilled about. Scouts are just returning, and the rope/pulley broke tonight. :cry:

Both need replaced, but this house and pole are so old I may just need a whole new system. Will putting up a different style house in the same location discourage my returning pairs?

Also if anyone is looking to sell a used house/pole, I'd love to talk to you.

Thanks!
Mike
2013 - Several Visitors
2014 - 3 pair (12 fledged)
2015 - 4 pair (15 fledged)
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Michael,
Fix the pulley assembly yourself.
The perfect replacement pulley is available from Lowe's in the "Prime-Line Patio Door Roller Assembly" Item #87991 Model # D-1688 with a 1 1/4" diameter steel ball bearing center grooved steel roller (pulley). The center hole is 1/4" and is a superior replacement for the plastic pulley that was originally supplied with your pole.
Grind off the old riveted 1/4" center pin that held the old plastic pulley and replace that pin with a 1/4" stainless bolt & nylon insert nut, the new steel ball bearing steel roller (pulley), and 3 flat washers (one on one side of the pulley and 2 on the other side of the pulley).
Replace the 3/16" X 22' double braided polyester rope and you have repaired your own pulley/rope.
Done it several times. Repair is superior to the original.
Or order Part #926208 "MSS12/MSS8 Complete Pulley Assembly" from the current manufacturer.
Mark.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

Mark...do you have photos of this?
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
rrmartins

I would not change houses on a colony so young. It's best to add a new one close to the old one and let them get used to it before removing the old one. Good luck.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Andrew,
I will get pictures together.
I went to Lowe's tonight and all I can find in stock now at my local Lowe's is the "Prime Line Adjustable 1 1/4" Aluminum Sliding Patio Door Roller Assembly" Item # 129067 Model # D-1607.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Chuck4
Martin Colony History: I started trying to attract Purple Martins in 2011. I got my first breeding pair in 2013.

2013-1 pair, 2014-4 pair, 2015-8 pair, 2016-12 pair 60 babies :-).

You can prop up your housing, albeit at a lower height, with a wooden pole (eight feet would be good). That should suffice until you can repair the pulley system. The martins will go into the housing at the lowered height. Sorry your system broke. I would not change the housing.
PMCA Member
_____
Craig Dyer
Martin Colony History: Area is rural. Offer 28 compartments...metal housing (Lonestar Goliad) & Supergourds all w/crescent entrance holes. Purple martins are abundant here and eager for quality, well maintained, safe housing. Expect near 100% occupancy this season.

Mike,
I have a Grandpa Trio (enlarged compartments) that is ten years old but in excellent condition. You may have it free of charge if you want it as I now use other housing. I would like to see it in use rather than gathering dust in my shop. You will however have to buy or obtain another pole & pulley for it.
Let me know if you're interested.
Craig
Craig Dyer
tlragsdale

It's heartwarming to read the posts of a fellow PM landlord in-need, and the generous, thoughtful and knowledgable responses of those offering help.

Well done, PM family….well done.
Terry & Michelle
New Richmond, WI

2005 - 2014 Hard luck stories
2015 - 2 pair, 12 eggs/12 fledglings
2016 - 6 pair, 35 eggs/35 fledged
2017 - 18 pair, 88 eggs / 85 fledged.
2018 - 23 pair, 119 eggs/115 fledged.
2019 - 31 pair, 137 eggs/133 fledged
Michael N

Wow, thanks for all of the kind replies. I'll stop by Lowes and see what they have. Will let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks for the offer Craig! I don't currently have another system to put the house on, but will let you know if I decide to buy another set.

Mike
2013 - Several Visitors
Tim m.

Don't worry about repairing pulley drill out rivet or grind it off put in new bolt and pulley ,new rope. Doesn't take long should not both your martins. I have several trio houses,I have one that was made in 1968 in great shape.
I'm a member of pmca,iowa purple martin org. which has ask me to be a mentor of jefferson county,ia. and citizen assistant for purple martins of Griggsville,Il.
baileysambone

Mike,
Go to www.erva.com. Look under purple martin houses, then look for parts for houses under MSS8.
I just ordered parts for the old MSS8 I recently got from a neighbor.
Or ask Matt F. He can tell you exactly what you need.
Yvonne
2011 visitors
2012 1 pair ASY male, SY female 9 eggs, 8 hatched, fledged 5
2013 5 pairs fledged 8
2014 4 pairs fledged 15
2015 7 pairs fledged 25
2016 10 pairs fledged 31
2017 17 pairs fledged 69
2018 18 pairs fledged 69
2019 21 pairs fledged 52 (biting gnats lost babies)
4th Gen Martin Fan

Mike,
I did not realize that the pulley is available along with a bolt and nut (they call it an axle) as "Prime-Line 1 1/4 inch Steel Sliding Door Roller" Item # 264533 Model # D-1796 at Lowe's for $6.47 plus tax. You have to check store availability but they list plenty at the NW Wichita, E Wichita, and Hutchinson, KS Lowe's. I would call to verify availability at the store of your choice before driving to the store.
I discovered that Prime-Line Products are available from Amazon.com, Lowe's Online and Home Depot Online to have shipped to your home.
The advantage of the Amazon.com is that it is a 2-pack for $6.54 plus tax with AmazonPrime! That makes each pulley only $3.27 each.
The advantage of the D-1796 is that it does not require disassembly of the roller assembly and it cost less than the D-1688.
As others have pointed out, the current manufacturer has the complete pulley assembly available. My point is that the original plastic pulley will not last very long before the plastic deteriorates.
Mark.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
4th Gen Martin Fan

I hope that this picture is self-explanatory. It is a Trio Pole Pulley Assembly for a MSS8/Grandma or MSS12/Grandpa.
I have replaced the original plastic pulley with a Prime-Line roller (pulley). All 1/4"-20 bolts and nylon insert nuts are now stainless steel. 3 of the 1/4" stainless steel flat washers maintain the pulley in the center without binding. One flat washer goes on one side of the pulley and 2 flat washers go on the other side of the pulley.
A thin nylon insert nut is required to clear the MSS8 or MSS12 roof.
The top nut to secure the roof cap with perch is #10-24.
If this picture does not adequately explain what I did, then please inform me.
Mark
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
Chuck4
Martin Colony History: I started trying to attract Purple Martins in 2011. I got my first breeding pair in 2013.

2013-1 pair, 2014-4 pair, 2015-8 pair, 2016-12 pair 60 babies :-).

4th Gen Martin Fan wrote:Andrew,
I hope that this picture is self-explanatory. It is a Trio Pole Pulley Assembly for a MSS8/Grandma or MSS12/Grandpa.
I have replaced the original plastic pulley with a Prime-Line roller (pulley). All 1/4"-20 bolts and nylon insert nuts are now stainless steel. 3 of the 1/4" stainless steel flat washers maintain the pulley in the center without binding. One flat washer goes on one side of the pulley and 2 flat washers go on the other side of the pulley.
As you know a thin nylon insert nut is required to clear the MSS8 or MSS12 roof.
The top nut to secure the roof cap with perch is #10-24.
If this picture does not adequately explain what I do, then please inform me.
Mark
That pulley looks good!

I have to confess that I upgraded the plastic plastic pulley in my rig to a nice steel one rated for 500 lbs. I was afraid that the added weight of the new rack I built would be too much for the plastic pulley even though it was still in very good condition after inspecting it. The whole assembly was taken down and inspected before my martins returned. The new pulley is so much smoother to use. It gives me peace of mind now too. 8)
PMCA Member
_____
Larry D
Martin Colony History: 4 years trying
2015 -- FINALLY!! One pair, 4 fledged. We took a 2 week vacation to Alaska in May and returned to find our first pair!!
2016 - - 2 pair, 6 fledged
2017 - - 3 pair, 5 fledged

Mike, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
PM house back up. 2 returning PMs checked out a couple of other houses, but evidently not interested. Hopefully they will try again. I had my first ones last year, so was very disappointed to see their house down with a broken rope just days before expected arrival. Pulley was also broken. Again, thanks for the tip.
2011 -- 0
2012 -- 0
2013 -- Hoping!
2014 -- Nada. Still trying!
2015 -- FINALLY!! One pair, 4 fledged. We took a 2 week vacation to Alaska in May and returned to find our first pair!!
2016 - - 2 pair, 6 fledged
2017 - - 3 pair, 5 fledged
Michael N

Haha - I haven't logged for a while and just noticed an old topic of mine had been resurrected.
Happy to report I was able to take Mark's advice - got the replacement pulley and rope from Lowes last year and fixed it right up. Works better than ever!

Larry - assume someone referenced you to this post? :grin:

Mike
2013 - Several Visitors