S&S Trap Recommendations

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

I am looking into getting a sparrow/starling trap and was wondering what recommendations people have. It seems like I have more starlings around than sparrows.

Dave Moss
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

During the nesting season, a nestbox trap is very effective. The starlings are looking for a place to nest so the boxes work great. The repeating traps are expensive, but they work good. The single traps in a martin compartment are the cheapest. The nestbox trap with 1 cavity is sort of in-between and they work good, so it diepends somewhat on how deep your pockets are. The PMCA sells several variations of these traps. If you buy a trop for your martin house, Make sure the one that you buy will fit it.

After the nesting season, a bait trap is the only good way to catch them. If you have snow, the V-top traps work good

I don't know how handy you are with tools, but I bought 1 trap, then I made my oiwn thereafter. I just followed the example of the one that I bought
Last edited by Emil Pampell-Tx on Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Dave, I forgot this trap, there is a very good bait trap, originally made by Brad Biddle, and I think that it is now sold by Sandy. It works very good all year long on sparrows if you bait it with white millet or bread. That may be the best bait trap available for sparrows...I don't own it but I have heard many very good comments about it.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
CUL Lou~Mich

Dave. It mostly depends on what kind of housing you have. One good "Stand alone" trap is the NB Compact. You can go to Archives above, then scroll down to it. Fairly simple to build. Somewhat more difficult but not impossible to set the see saw arm. Other than that, for English House Sparrows, if you have Trio housing, you can get the SD-1. If you have wooden housing, then I'd look at the Universal Starling/Sparrow Trap. I have two of them in a wooden North Star house, and it got a bunch of European Starlings, and EHS both. Couple of doubles with the EHS, but mostly one per trap. I don't have PMs, so I leave my traps out all year. However, if a person did have them, they could trap "Off season" or wait until the EHS or EUST had decided on an apartment, then remove the nesting material, put in the trap, and hope they went in. I've never used any of the repeating traps, other than the NB Compact, so can't comment on them. Oh, the most effective of all for me is a pellet gun. However, lots of places it's not legal, nor safe to use one. CUL Lou

I know I can get rid of them with a pellet gun but my location is a little to open for it. I have started to convert my Trio house to a trap but the starlings aren't in the nesting phase so that is why I am looking for a bait trap.

Dave Moss
Sparky

Yes, It can depend on your type of housing. But if you take the housing aside and are looking at a "stand-alone" trap, look at the S & S Controller. If I had one choice of trap that was extremely effective, it is the S & S Controller. I have many types of traps, in compartment, RBT's, V-trap, and the S & S Controller has been very and the most successful. I use the Controller year-round now. The Controller took care of all my Starlings this year. I haven't seen a starling in months.
As it's been mentioned before on the forum, we need a Troyer Gourd trap for cresent, or other non-round openings.
Oh one observation on the S & S Controller. I would ditch the wood 4 X 4 and (2) 2 x 4 x 12'S in favor of a steel ground socket and an aluminum pole (2" X 4" X 12 foot) This way you would eliminate the bending pole effect.
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
CUL Lou~Mich

Sparky. The NB Compact is just about the same as the S&S Controller, except it's a lot lighter. I had the S&S COntroller, but tore it apart to make the NB Compact. The S&S Controller, you have to buy the plans, whereas the last I knew the NB Compact was right in the archives. FREE. There's two points to its favor in my book. Free, plus smaller/ie lighter. CUL Lou

I would strongly recommend this trap:

http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/per/newtrap.htm

It was discussed in detail before the `crash` - build it yourself or purchase it - its an ingenious design.

I've had luck with the NB Compact Trap and the Universal Sparrow Trap as nestbox traps. Here's the link to instruction for making the NB Compact Trap:
http://www.purplemartin.org/forumarchiv ... wpage4.htm
You can purchase the Universal Sparrow Trap from the PMCA, but make sure it fits in your martin house first.
For a bait trap I use the one Brad Biddle makes and sells and have also had a lot of luck with it. My main problem is starlings, and all the traps I've mentioned have been good at catching them over the past several years.
Edit: One thing that I really want to stress and didn't before is for you to make sure you monitor your traps carefully. Other birds (ones you DON'T want to trap) could also become trapped, in which case they should be released as soon as possible.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Hrncirik

Dave,

Here's my 2 cents worth.

If you have a Trio, then an SD-1 Trio door is a MUST have(sorry MN gal). I think it would be even better to have one or more nest box traps around your property. Using SREHs, the starlings will beam in on any nest box traps in the area with 2" round holes. Most of those will also catch sparrows if the trip mechanism is set correctly. Bait traps will possibly catch many S&S while the vermin are in search of food(usually not during nesting phase). The problem is that while the martins are trying to nest, the vermin are to. They(S&S) aren't interested in bait traps because their hormones are flowing and food is secondary on their mind. Bait traps work wonders in eliminating many S&S during the off season but nest box traps are what really provides the ultimate protection for the nesting martins at your colony if you are unable to use a pellet rifle.

I did like Emil and made several nest box traps after purchasing a Trio sparrow door(SD-1). Do a web search on the Huber style trap and you will see how these traps work...and very easy to make. Good luck,

Dale

Stan where do you get plans for the new trap.

Thanks

Warren

Warren, I never located any plans for the trap in question. If you are a handyman the manufacturers site has all the information you need to construct one. The only part that took some experimenting was the moveable floor. Another PMCA member built this trap and posted his results: unfortunately I don't remember his name. Maybe he will read this threat and post his comments.

Stan

Looking back at my original notes I noticed that MN Martin Girl started the threat - maybe she has more information.