Not looking good.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Darryl Sparlin

I'm starting to think this is not going to be good year at my colony.
I had my first scout show up on the 8th stay 2 nights and not anymore.
Yesterday there was 2 flying around for about 20 minutes, but they never
landed and I've not seen them today. Something just don't seem right as
normally after my first scout within a couple days there are more come in.
I hope I'm not wrong :???: :???:
Darryl Sparlin
Ed Pace

Hi Darryl. I have heard a lot of people say this year that the birds are running a couple of weeks behind, let's just hope that that's what's happening here ,anyway best of luck to you this year. Ed.
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Hey Darryl, I was just thinking the same thing yesterday, I had 5 pair, 4 up front & 1 in my back yard, & I was thinking that maybe that's going to be it for the rest of the year & maybe I'll get lucky with SYs soon. But this morning I was please to see 2 more pair at my back yard houses ! I should of had Most of my ASYs by late Feb! I hope it's just the strange weather & as someone else noted that 4 years ago was very hard on the PMs overall. Hang in there Darryl, things should warm up for all of us soon!
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
Darryl Sparlin

It just seems different than it has in the past. Maybe it is best that there are
not any here, as the temps are dropping down into the 40's tonight and
we have had cold drizzle all day long. I hate to see them just sit on the
houses looking like they are freezing. Good luck to all that have martins so
far.
Darryl Sparlin
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Darryl, same thing is happening here....not my usual type of year. :-(
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Craig Haddox

Darryl, I had a male on the 8th and another male on the 14th. There are years when my first arrivals don't show until after the 21st so who knows? Hang in there it's early yet :grin:
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

I have yet to see a martin... anywhere. And I watch a lot.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
Darryl Sparlin

This is how unpredictable they can be. Since I posted earlier, i'm setting in
the front room looking out at the houses and there they are. Two black males
going from house to house and the gourd rack looking. I believe they belong
here but they are just not spending the night yet. I feel a little better now. The
next few days should make a difference as the weather is forecast to warm
back into the 60's When they leave they fly out of sight to the north of my
place. There is a landlord about 6 miles northwest of me. Might be where they
go :) :)
Darryl Sparlin
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Darryl,
Do you think it is the weather making them act unusable and arriving later. I wondered about the southern weather being so cold may have an effect on northerners arrival dates. But makes me wonder about getting a colony started this year. Good luck! :grin:
Sharon from southern Illinois
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

I am in the same way as Dorn. I also look. A lot. Tomorrow is my last year's first day date. So no worries. They are on their way.

An hour ago on my way home from town I was parked on the dirt road using my binoculars to check out the neighbor's trios that are three miles south of me. I kept thinking is that something dark on that bottom row? Not a male ASY. His trio has lost a door.

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
Darryl Sparlin

It has a lot to do with the weather i'm sure, but they act a lot
different seems to me this year. I just watched 2 dark males
that were sitting on the perch of one of my castles. They were
there long enough for me to scramble some eggs. When I went
out to see if they would take any they took off to the north out
of sight. They didn't look to be in distress. I do think they belong
here but maybe they are going where there are some other martins
and roosting in a group. I will know more in a few days after the
weather warms back up. Supposed to be nice again Friday. Are you
seeing any martins?
Darryl Sparlin
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

No, I watch 5 sites in town and see nothing. These sites are not closely monitored . Sparrows and starlings have been around them all winter.
I did see one guy took his down by the Ellis Grove water tower. I can see the water tower at my mailbox. I am not sure if he moved them further back where I can't see them or what. May be a good thing for me if he took them down for good. Maybe he's tired of the trash birds! I can only hope so!
I have to call the lock and dam to see if they have any. The Kaskaskia River bridge is closed for repairs. I cannot get out there to see if they have any yet.
Well I sure hope it gets warm and stays nice for the birds! Good luck!
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Seen a Martin on one of my racks Monday evening..haven't seen him since..5 days past last year arrivals...this time last year I had 15/20 here..just hope they are late..is your brother Elmer in Oswego, Ks?
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
taxidermy lady

Tony,
They have to be coming! The weather has been up and down and up and down! I wore a coat with a hood yesterday. This past Monday I had shorts on. So I'm sure they are confused. (I am).
They are smart so how knows they may know something we don't. :wink:
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

I have two males and I know one is spending the night and I believe the second is also.
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged
CurtWelling

We are all suffering from a serious mental condition, PMLLESAS, Purple Martin Land Lord Early Season Anxiety Syndrome.

I predict everything will be fine and this condition will be supplanted by PMLLMSAS for the mid-season.
Curt Welling
GregB->AR

Unfortunately, I am afraid a lot of the birds heading to this area will have perished in the prolonged weather that had the perfect bad timing to catch them on their way in. I am at less than 20% of my normal occupancy at this date. A bit more time will tell but we have had good weather here for a week now with not even one additional arriver
Don Strickland

I live pretty close to GregB and I think he is right. Just a very few at my place.
Chuck4
Martin Colony History: I started trying to attract Purple Martins in 2011. I got my first breeding pair in 2013.

2013-1 pair, 2014-4 pair, 2015-8 pair, 2016-12 pair 60 babies :-).

I am confident the majority of the martin population has yet to arrive. The next few weeks should see more martins arriving. As has been noted in other posts, they are really piling it in in the southern areas recently.
PMCA Member
_____
GregB->AR

While I certainly hope you are right this just doesnt fit my history. I have at least 30 birds at a min here by this time and have them well before birds are reported in Ohio etc