Hutto landlord needs help

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

His martins are on the ground, trying to keep warm, some have died. The landlord says he tried to feed crickets and eggs with no luck. Temps in high 20s. He is disabled, in a wheelchair, so cannot do much to help the martins - if anyone can help (collect grounded martins and take to Austin rehab) in any way, please let us know in a reply, and we'll get contact info shared.
rrmartins

I wish there was something I could do. I'm pretty much in the same boat they are.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

He's got someone coming over within an hour who can help him check the houses and take care of the martins - that's better news.

Weather for the next 7-10 days is not the greatest for north TX and other Gulf states, so if you are going to feed or use handwarmers, get prepared, folks. Thanks to all of you who are doing all you are able to help your birds - you won't always succeed, but you are trying.
dhjohnson
Martin Colony History: 5th year hostess. Currently 58 confirmed breeding pair. 218 Fledged, 35 older nestlings, 2 new nests with 8 nestlings. 100% occupancy

You all see this...the PMCA Forum at work...we can see the same thing in our local forums! Warms my heart folks!!! Please keep us informed! Wishing you all the best for this terrible weather! Sending prayers for better weather!!!
Keep the faith,
Debbie
Debbie Johnson
Clayton/NC (Archer Lodge)
2012 New Site 6 pair, 21 Fledged
2013 24 pair, 102 eggs, 94 hatched, 89 Fledged. What a great year!
2014 37 pair, 211 eggs, 193 Hatched, 178 Fledged, 1 nest of 5 young left! Late start but picked up speed quickly!
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Chris let us know that someone is coming over this afternoon to check the houses - four martins dead, but he hopes that will be all.
Matt@atx

rrmartins wrote:I wish there was something I could do. I'm pretty much in the same boat they are.

Hello RR,

I'm sorry to hear about the gentleman in Hutto and am glad some nice person is can go to him to help them.

RR, Are you having trouble getting your fellows to eat?
2008~(1st yr) 4 pairs, 11 to 12 fledged
2009~(2nd yr) 9 pairs, 41 fledged
2010~(3rd year) 11 pairs. 50 fledged
2011~(4th year) 20 pairs, 23 out of 23 gourds Martin occupied, 3 fledged, the rest died in the drought. (1 new Blue Bird, 3 BB fledged.)
2012~ 26 pairs, approx. 100-110 fledged
Laura Dore

I went to visit Chris in Hutto around noon. Found one Martin dead on the ground with its head missing. Found another dead inside one of his gourds. I don't have any martins yet this season (thank goodness), so I took him my platform feeder and attached it to his gourd rack. Put some scrambled eggs in it and lifted the rack back up. Hopefully any remaining martins he has will find them and eat. We are expected to have more freezing weather for the next few days. Even if we can save one life, it will be worth the effort.
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Thank you for helping out, Laura! You're right - saving even one is worth it! Here's hoping for better weather for our southern landlords!
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
rrmartins

Matt@atx wrote:
rrmartins wrote:I wish there was something I could do. I'm pretty much in the same boat they are.

Hello RR,

I'm sorry to hear about the gentleman in Hutto and am glad some nice person is can go to him to help them.

All of ours died in the weather. Mother Nature can be cruel. Meanwhile all the rat birds are thriving. Thank you for asking. Good luck this year.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Matt@atx

rrmartins wrote:
Matt@atx wrote:

Hello RR,

All of ours died in the weather. Mother Nature can be cruel. Meanwhile all the rat birds are thriving. Thank you for asking. Good luck this year.

All my friend ? I am very sorry to hear that man and any grief you may have. Are we sure it is all that died and that some did not leave or migrated through?

I ask because I thought we had 2 but now we have none and there are no bodies. I have waited til dusk and checked everything. Nothing so far.
2008~(1st yr) 4 pairs, 11 to 12 fledged
2009~(2nd yr) 9 pairs, 41 fledged
2010~(3rd year) 11 pairs. 50 fledged
2011~(4th year) 20 pairs, 23 out of 23 gourds Martin occupied, 3 fledged, the rest died in the drought. (1 new Blue Bird, 3 BB fledged.)
2012~ 26 pairs, approx. 100-110 fledged
rrmartins

I buried 6. Not sure if some left last Thursday morning before the weather hit, or not. Another bad week for weather. Maybe they will hang out on the coast another week, but I doubt it, their instinct over powers their brain. We do what we can and keep trying. I've been reading here on the forum, that the 2011 drought we had, is probably having a impact on the slow Tx migration. Hopefully that works in our favor and saves a lot of them. Everything happens for a reason.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
BW Fowler

RR, so sorry to hear about this misfortune. I had martins as far back as 1996, and I have never heard of anything like this year with the prolonged cold weather. I only had 1 pair last year since I moved and am trying to start a new colony. Since they were SY birds, I hope they are still well to the south. I'm sure many of your birds from last year will make it back, and will warm your heart. Wishing you the best.
BW
EGunterTX

Laura Dore wrote:I went to visit Chris in Hutto around noon. Found one Martin dead on the ground with its head missing. Found another dead inside one of his gourds. I don't have any martins yet this season (thank goodness), so I took him my platform feeder and attached it to his gourd rack. Put some scrambled eggs in it and lifted the rack back up. Hopefully any remaining martins he has will find them and eat. We are expected to have more freezing weather for the next few days. Even if we can save one life, it will be worth the effort.
Good for you, Laura!
'18-- 8 nests, 39 eggs, 19 fledged
'17-- 10 nests, 40 eggs, 38 fledged
'16-- 9 nests, 47 eggs, 41 fledged
'15-- 9 nests, 42 eggs, 21 fledged
'14-- 8 nests, 38 eggs, 35 fledged
'13-- 5 nests, 23 eggs, 19 fledged
'12-- 4 nests, 19 eggs, 13 fledged
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Louise & Laura, Thanks for helping him. RR , SO Sorry to hear that, But good to Not hear anyone is giving up! Nature holds the last card, & it's wonderful ( but frustrating !) when there 's a good outcome ! Hang in there everyone !!
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
rrmartins

BW Fowler wrote:RR, so sorry to hear about this misfortune. I had martins as far back as 1996, and I have never heard of anything like this year with the prolonged cold weather. I only had 1 pair last year since I moved and am trying to start a new colony. Since they were SY birds, I hope they are still well to the south. I'm sure many of your birds from last year will make it back, and will warm your heart. Wishing you the best.
BW
Thanks BW. Welcome to the forum. You found the right place if you love martins. Stick around and keep us updated on your colony.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

I extend the top award to the PMCA for stepping up and making a huge difference again. The PMCA gets little deserving applause year after year. I'm sure all the members agree that you are great people doing great things everyday for the martins and their landlords. Thank you.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.