Fledgling Stuck In Predator Guard

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
iluvbirds

It has been total mayhem here this morning!.... :wink: .....Both nests in my S&K houses have fledged, and one gourd has fledged... :grin: ..... Anyhoo, this morning I kept seeing two adults looking down one of my S&K predator guards. I thought they were just being nosy, but they kept coming back and looking in it. Well, I got my binoculars out and walked out there and could see through a little hole that something was inside it. I got my tall ladder and moved it over to the house and climbed up and looked inside it, and there was a fledgling!!!. Man did it make a noise when I retrieved it...LOL..I sat it up on the porch of the house, but it flew right off with the other PM's chasing it... :grin: ...I'm sure it's all right, but if I had not been paying attention it could have stayed in there and died. I just wanted to let everyone know to pay attention to your Martins! They will let you know if something is wrong!!.... :)....Pat
Sigundo

Glad everything came out ok. My skies here are full of martins, but the new ones we got this year are MEAN :x . They harrassed our TS pair that I had in their own gourd well away from the martin houses, at about 6 feet up on a hanger nailed to a phone pole (no way they should have wanted that gourd).

Also, my wife gets bombarded constantly anytime she is in the back yard, even when not anywhere close to the martins (they don't bombard ME, even though I'm the one that lowers the houses). She finally had to turn the hose on them the other day to back them off and they moved up to about 40 feet and left her alone till she was done watering the plants.

She told them to knock it off or next year they might find themselves homeless when they return. Doubt we'd go that far, but they better behave, as we're here to actually HELP them.. I dunno whats wrong with these new ones, the older ones we had from last year just sit on their perches and sing to us.. its the newer ones causing all the trouble...
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Hi Sigundo.

So, you would actually let a few dive bombing PMs make you take your housing down.

Consider this: The "new" birds are afraid of you. They don't know you aren't going to hurt them or their young. The only way to teach them you mean them no harm is to hang out close to the housing more. Talk to them in a soft soothing voice, sing, whistle while you work - let them get used to your presence - and your wife. They recognize you, because you are always there - they don't recognize her and they are afraid of her.

Every year - we have "new" birds. So, every year, we have to let them get to know us! :grin:

P.S. - I have never heard of a Purple Martin actually striking and hurting a human being. Alfred Hitchcock's movie, "The Birds" was a bunch of baloney! Enjoy...
Sincerely,
Laverne
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Hi Pat. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ignore the fact that this was originally your post.

I read it and was very happy that you rescued your little fledgling. They can get themselves into all kinds of dangerous predicaments. Thank you for taking care of your martins. :wink:

One year we had a large nest (maybe five) fledge just a little sooner than they should have. They could fly - but not high in the sky. If you approached them they would take off and get 5 - 10 feet off the ground and go great distances. But, they just never got really up there. For the next couple of days, I kept finding them inside the barn and inside the shed where my washer/dryer is. My dog was getting real good at pointing them out to me... I think they all finally made it to fully fledged flying in the sky Purple Martins. But, it was pretty wild!
Sincerely,
Laverne
iluvbirds

Hi Sigundo! Glad to hear you have lots of Purple in your skies.... :wink: .... Like Laverne said, I think the new ones just have to get used to your wife. Maybe if she could go out there a little more often and talk to them, they will get to know her better, and will stop dive bombing her.... :)

Hi Laverne! I didn't take it as if you were ignoring me... :) .... I didn't really have a question, I just wanted to let folks know to keep an eye on their Martins. They will usually let you know by their actions if something is wrong. The reason the little fella ended up in my guard was because I have it on upside down...LOL....Next season I think I'm going to get new poles and possibly put solar powered fence chargers on them... :) .... Pat
Sigundo

Whoops, my bad I forgot to put the little smiley wink in there to let everybody know it was a joke about pulling down the houses, I was just laughing so hard at my wife it was hard to type.. she was looking at them through the window and they were squawking and she said "knock it off.. I know where you live".

Something about that just set me off on a laugh fest and I didn't put my little smiley in. She knows they wont actually HIT her, but she'll straighten them up. It took her 2 days to make this male hummingbird quit guarding the hummer feeder, but in the end she prevailed and now he has to take turns. We could have understood if they were nesting nearby, but we don't have the right setup for that.. so he was sitting on the clothesline running off any other hummers that came close (we had 8 regulars, who knows how many passers-by). NO need for that sorta thing, so she did the same to him a few times over the next 2 days and now he grudgingly shares the nectar.

She'll win over the martins soon enough. ITs just odd that they bomb her (she is outside way more than me, due to my work), but they don't try it with me for some reason. (I'm thinking its the Hawaiian Flowery shirts that are hiding me from view). I think the martins look down and say "Hey! Look at that really fat tropical bush down there.. guess there is no use in trying to scare off a bush." hehe.

We are going to, however, look up some info on TS, as they hatched 3 young and have left for now, but next year I want to have up a couple more TS gourds (or bluebird), but need to space them out just right. The new martins that arrived tried to run them off too, but the TS had nothing to do with that sort of thing and took the martins to the ground on a few occasions until they quit being bullies. TS are tough for their size :)