Ontario Landlords Near Gravenhurst?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
BBates

Just moved home from Missouri and am setting up my Troyer gourd and Coates housing near Gravenhurst. Any landlords nearby to offer their experiences and advice?

I had 3 successful years in Missouri and want to start again up in Ontario!

Thanks,
Brenda[/b]
Matt F.

Hi Brenda,
You may already know about this, but there is another great group called the Ontario Purple Martin Association.
Here's their website:
http://essexpurplemartins.ca/
One of their members, John Balga, is a frequent poster here as well.
They might very well know of active colonies in your area.
John Balga
Martin Colony History: 2012-69 pairs
2015- 3 pair at new home colony
2016-6 pair at home colony-1 ASY FEMALE banded from Andy Troyer colony
2017-17 pair at home colony
2018-38 pair at home colony
2019-47 pair at home colony

Hi Brenda,

Have a look at this 2011 article about the purple martin decline in the Gravenhurst area and perhaps a reason for the lack of martin landlords in that area.

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2011/07/22 ... the-martin

John
Ontario Purple Martin Association
Keep the martins flying in Ontario!
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

That is a very interesting article John, thanks for posting it. Even though I am from Pennsylvania I spent many happy childhood summer vacations in your beautiful province, so I am always interested in the happenings there.

That article is certainly a cautionary tale for all of us interested in the present and future well being of our Purple Martins and other birds. The importance of good landlords and their efforts cannot be overemphasized.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
John Miller

Brenda, who I mentored a bit, knows that I'm also concerned about her returning colony, near Gerald, Missouri, (Franklin County) returning to find no homes. I made contact with the new house owners by U.S. mail, but received no response to date.

Martins are strong flyers and can search the countryside for housing, but hopeful landlords in this area SW of St. Louis may want to get their housing up early.

John
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Hope they can help that group of martins for you John. Maybe if they don't put a house up they are welcome here. I looked up Gerald Mo. and it's not that far from Illinois!
You did all you can do, now it's up to new landowner. Hopefully Brenda left them a house??
Sharon from southern Illinois
John Miller

Sharon

I think Brenda pulled up stakes -- literally -- and returned to her native northern homeland. When new home owners have no interest, it's probably best to entirely remove everything so returning martins seek out new housing, even crossing the river to Illinois maybe.

That said, I have a thought. I'll email the address/names of the new owners to the PMCA and let them send them a letter.

John

P.S. Done!
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Oh yeah that makes good sense. Well I hope they find a great home. Thanks for what you do John. :)
Sharon from southern Illinois