Sigh... now even the barnies have left

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Chris B

They spent late Friday and late Saturday buzzing around my pond taking sips as they skimmed the water. With 75 or so birds it was quite a show. I like to think they were saying goodbye. They left with the full moon and are on their way South.

All that is left are vacant dirty gourds that need cleaning and re-painting. There are gourds growing on the vines and some larger ones in various stages of construction with S&K porches and access hatches.

Starlings are moving in in mass and clouds of them can be seen. Why don't they leave and the PMs and barnies stay instead?

See you guys next Spring, I hope! There will be more houses waiting.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods. Birds did very well.
2020 56 SREH gourds.
Mhoover
Martin Colony History: Started with 2 pair in 2014 - 7 eggs -7 fledged

We still have barnies flying around here. There was close to two dozen here earlier today flying around feeding. Maybe there will be more heading your way.
2017-5 pair
2016-4 pair- 18 hatched-18 fledged
2015-1 pair -Both ASY- 6 eggs-5 fledged
2014-2 pair- 1 ASY-M/SY-F-1 ASY pair - 7 eggs-7 fledged

PMCA Member
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

I have power lines full of a cliff sallows down by the river. They are brown and sandy color on the chest. I am sure they are not barn swallows. With the bluff close by I think they are cliff . Let me know if this is right. If they are still there this weekend I will get a picture. :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
Annie G

About 3 weeks ago my son brought 2 baby barnies to me. Their nest had fallen and they were abandoned. They had feathers but were not close to fledging. I cannot believe how much these little guys ate!! I don't know how the parents do it. I took 2 trips a day on the ranger with a butterfly net driving in our fields catching grasshoppers and bugs. :shock:
One fledged pretty quick and would return daily for a land on my shoulder and a quick grasshopper. The other one has an injured wing but eventually took to flying. :grin: I could pick her out because her left wing would tip upward when she flew. When she sat on the railing her wing would droop.
Well I'm happy to say yesterday was the first day I didn't see her. Her trips home got shorter each day. I quit feeding her about a week ago. She got so when I went out on the deck she would fly away from me rather than to me. It was quite an experience taking care of them, but I'm glad they went out on their own. Whew! :wink: Annie
Keep trying and keep your chin up, its easier to see the martins coming!!
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Sharon, Cliff Swallows have a peachy-orange color on the breast, same as Barn Swallows - you might be seeing Bank or Rough-winged Swallows, both are 'browner' swallows. Bank has a brown breast-band and is smaller.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Wow Annie that was some foraging. Way to go!

Thanks Louise , I will take a picture of them this weekend. They roost close by the clubhouse because we see them coming in to land on the power lines at sunrise. They just fill the lines up. There was several martins that would hang out with them several weeks back. :)
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

still have all the swallow Sp here in SE KS>.. just go to your local wetlands and you will probably see them.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
Craig Haddox

Don't see any barn swallows lately but still have chimney swifts around.
taxidermy lady

This is the electric wire coming into our clubhouse down by the river. I believe it is a mix of rough, bank, and some cliff. I tried to look at them with binoculars and seen collars on some, peachy breasts, and sandy colored breasts. It was 46 degrees that morning.

http://s938.photobucket.com/user/sharon ... 2.jpg.html
jedin

Great job Annie! Ours have all been gone for about 2 weeks. The silence in the barn is deafening! :-(
2011: First house late June, lots of visitors
2012: One pair of SY, 5 fledged
2013: 4 pair, 18 fledged
2014: 4 pair, 20 fledged
2015: 14 pair
2016: 18 pair