Finally Time to Move!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Daryl Lindstrom - MN

After trying unsuccessfully for 14 years to attract Purple Martins to my parent's home, I've finally purchased my own home and moved my martin housing. My yard is completely open and far from wooded areas. The martin housing was previously located near a densely wooded area, which I believe prevented colonization. This location is about 1/2 mile from the previous site - should be far enough from the wooded area! I sure hope my goal of bring Purple Martins back to Rock Creek, MN will happen in the spring of 2015!
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (189.37 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
Gary W

Hi Daryl,

That site looks like a real winner to me! Very wide open!

Best of Success!

Gary
Barry Wallace

Good luck Daryl,

With all the work you've put in on your public sites you certainly deserve to have your own colony. Your new site looks perfect.

I see your colony at memory lake quite often and it's a beautiful site.
Landlord since 1987
birdy girl

Wow now that is open! You should be able to attract martins to your new place. Just wondering, was an open area on your must have list for a new home? If so, you did just that. I wish you the best in getting a martin colony started next year.
Chris B

What about water? Will they use a kiddie pool in a pinch if you keep it full?
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods. Birds did very well.
2020 56 SREH gourds.
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

That looks perfect, and I would not worry about water being nearby. Martins will fly several miles just circling and feeding. I have never had a site with water nearby, and that was not a problem.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Matt F.

Your new site looks great Daryl!
Like Barry mentioned, you are doing some great work for the Martins there in Minnesota.
I always loved seeing the photos of the wonderful public sites you've created and manage, like the Memory Lake and Rush Lake sites.
Kent Justus

Daryl,

Congratulations on your new place. Looks like an ideal spot to me. Also, thank you for all you are doing for the martins in Minnesota. It is great to see that your hard work has paid off and is putting many fledglings into the air to build up the martin population in your area. Do you have any tree swallows on your new property? Wishing you continuing success. - Kent
Daryl Lindstrom - MN

Thanks everyone!

Throughout the last month and a half I've been here, I've seen MANY swallows in the area... tree, barn, cliff. It sure seems to be a swallow haven. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any martins yet. I really should be playing dawn song/chatter CD to try and entice a few in for a look - or at least get the neighbors used to the sound. I sure will be playing it in the spring!

Also, there is a large pond less than 1/2 mile away. All of the ingredients seem to be in place. Let's hope the birds show up in the spring!

bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Good luck with your new site Daryl. It sure will be nice sitting on that deck and watching the young ones stick their heads out of the cavities.

Wishing you the best of luck in 2015.

Bill
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Deluxe Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 8 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I care for a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also care for a Deluxe Gourd rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, care for a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

That pond being so close should be a real plus.

I know you are excited about next season.
Donnie Hurdt MN

I hope they will find you next year Daryl, your site looks good to me. :)
I had a couple of subbie pair hang around for a couple of weeks but they did not stay. I also manage a site at a local campgrounds and no martins returned this year either, after hosting martins for the last two years.
PMCA member and Martin fanatic....
2011 A pair of subbies fledged three young but none returned in 2012 :-(
2015 One Pair of subbies came and stayed a few nits but got chased away by Bluebirds and Tree swallows. :-(
2017 0ne pair of subbies nested and fledged 4 young
2018 Tree Swallows AGAIN chased away any martins that wanted to nest :evil:
2019 Same old story................ :-(
Annie G

Daryl.. Your site looks really martin friendly. I will be waiting for a post from you next spring saying you have martins.. :wink: best wishes!! Annie
Keep trying and keep your chin up, its easier to see the martins coming!!