Retiring my 2 old plastic houses!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

When I use to have martins we used a S&K plastic house. This was 1995 I'm guessing. We had martins within days we put it up. Then I am sure after 10 yrs. of trees growing they did not feel safe. They left and no return. We thought if we buy another plastic house they would come back. Wrong! So the one house has never been nested in, time and elements has made them brittle. (They are hard to raise and lower too.) I am happy to say I have learnt so much about martins this past yr. I want to have a nice site for them. So goodbye to my plastic houses!!
My site will have my awesome gourd rack that the boys bought me for Mothers Day, trio with round holes, with a winch, and the farm and home S&K I purchased in 2013. The farm and home does have large compartments, i guess you would call it the Cadillac of plastic houses. I have to get a gourd rack and pole for my 6 gourds that hung under the plastic houses. So my site will have 24 nest cavities. Thanks for teaching me the right way to take care of martins . I'm excited for next year!
Sharon from southern Illinois
Annie G

Yay Sharon! We were on the river a couple days ago and all the martins I saw were hanging around those plastic red barn houses. Maybe I should get one... I'm also happy to report the martin family has been back visiting the past couple of days. :grin: They were here again this morning landing on the houses. I thought they had headed south but it's been great to see them again.. I am hoping you will get your first pairs next season. Sounds like you are ready for them already.. :wink: Annie
Keep trying and keep your chin up, its easier to see the martins coming!!
Larry Kronemeyer

Yeah!! Good for you and your martins!
We started out with a trio mini castle. Twelve rooms, unmodified.
That was 15 years ago. As we learned more about these birds our housing has been changed and slowly upgraded. The PMCA and this forum gives us the information and support to try and improve. Every year, a little bit better.
Congratulations!
Larry and Judy
Larry and Judy Kronemeyer
est. 1999
1-12 compartment Trendsetter and 4 gourds(crescents)
1 T-14 and 4 gourds (crescents)
12 gourd rack (crescents)
Member PMCA
pmartinlover2
Martin Colony History: 2011 Home site--1 SY pair--2 fledged
2016 Satellite Site---4 pair--19 eggs laid--17 hatched--16 fledged
2017 Satellite Site--8 pair--37 eggs laid--34 hatched--34 fledged
2018 11 pair--fledged 60
2019 20 pair-fledged 94
2020 23pair-fledged 108

Sharon it sounds as if you are already prepared for next martin season. I also think I will retire my S & K house for something a little better. I read somewhere on this forum that 24 cavities was the minimum a site should offer in order for martins to feel there's room to grow a colony. You will be right on target. I only had 10 cavities this year and no martins so I think I need to improve in that area. Also between "not the most open area" and dumb HOSP I have an uphill battle. Guess I've got a long cold winter to figure it out!
_________
Jody
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Sharon,
You mentioned that you have a Trio house now.
Can we get more details?
Is it 8 compartment or 12 compartment? Is it square (MSS8), rectangle ( MSS12) or hexagon shape (TM12)? Is it a Trio/Nature House Castle (PMC12)?
Does it have a pole through the center and raises up and down like a flag (Trio Grandpa or Nature House MSS12)? If so, does it still have a rope to raise (MSS12R) and lower it or does it have a winch (MSS12W)?
Does the house mount onto the end of a pole and the pole telescope together to raise and lower? Trio Musselman or Nature House M12K?
You will have plenty of help on Trio houses if you need.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Yeah thanks Annie, Jody and Larry for your warm wishes for me . Best of luck to you all next year. Mark it is MSS12W, it has a winch and is converted to 6 compartments already. I am offering round holes with it. All the gourds and other house is sreh. They should like the variety. HOPEFULLY!!!! Like they say on the instructions, 'all I need is martins".
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Sharon,
You will love the winch system with your MSS12W.
Does Nature House, Inc. still supply the MSS12W or is it an older, recycled house?
Sounds like you are set up for next year!
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
taxidermy lady

Yeah it is from nature house inc. I think it was a good choice because I see a lot of those in our area. The martins are very used to them, SO WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT!!!!!
Jose Rodriguez

Excited for you Sharon. I will also eventually switch to the wench method. This manual telescopic method can get very tiring. Although I think it's keeping me in shape! :grin:
PMCA Member
"Keep Calm and It Will Happen"
taxidermy lady

Where in the heck have you been Jose? Thought maybe you followed your martins down south!! 8)
Jose Rodriguez

Depressed ever since my Martins left! :grin:
PMCA Member
"Keep Calm and It Will Happen"
taxidermy lady

Aw how adorable! You'll be fine. We are all in this together! :)