Beautiful week end with Pictures

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bluetick

Fog was heavy but the sun was beautiful over my martin site as I was up before the break of dawn because I knew I had one last gourd with four that were going to fledged. They were 30 days old and I thought they would and they did it was beautiful to watch. All four of them came out with in about 25 minutes.
Some of my birds about 10:am on 8/3/2014
Last edited by bluetick on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluetick

Sun first breaking through the fog. I have one picture that you can just see the sun starting to come through the fog. It only lasted about 5 minutes like that and a cloud shut the sun out.
Another picture of my birds on 8/3/2014. There weren't as many came back to the gourds last night. Only the ones that first fledged. I am going to miss them. Bluetick Dave
Last edited by bluetick on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
birdy girl

I enjoyed your pictures so much even though bittersweet. So glad you had a good martin season. It is sad less martins are coming back at night. Same here. I know the season has to end so we can prepare for their return next year. But yeah we all added to the martin population to return next year, many will start new colonies and many colonies will increase in size due to that increase.
suem

Those are awesome sunrise pics! It's all about the timing. My last 2 nests are going to fledge any day. One of them is a second nesting of my first arrival. Tinkled purple! There are 2 other gourds filling up at night. It's been nice to have windows and doors open some so I can still hear them.
Love the gurgles
John Evans

Great pictures Dave. It's sad when the last ones leave. Hope they keep coming back for a few weeks. You have an impressive setup. How many cavities do you offer?
I think am going to take the big leap next year and double my cavities to 72.I was nearly full this year and have the room and hopefully the time.

John
PMCA Member
klcretired

Hi Dave, man you added a lot more gourds to your Colony ..someone Just spent a lot of money???..Man your Colony sure looks Nice ...a job well done my Friend, sorry for the late reply I left town when I received an emergency phone call...I'm back home now...all is well & Good.
Your Martin Friend,
Kenny
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
bluetick

Glad everything is fine Kenny. John I now have 86 units. 6 - 12 unit gourd racks and a 12 room trendsetter with 2 gourds hanging on it. I am changing my trendsetter and putting tunnels on it for next year. I didn't like the panels I bought so I purchased tunnels for it. I will post a picture of the new look. Thanks for the comments my Martin friends. Bluetick Dave
bluetick

I didn't have any birds in my trendsetter this year so this will be the new look.
Will have tunnels next year. Bluetick Dave
tlragsdale

Beautiful photos, and wonderful set-up. Thanks for sharing!!

Terry R.
New Richmond, WI
bluetick

Very sad. Only had 10 martins come home last night and my friend had none. I don't know why but I can't get this very sad face to go on my post.
The disable smiles is not checked but will not go on my post. Why? Bluetick Dave
John Miller

You have a beautiful site.

What if you moved the Trendsetter to the middle of the setup?

Martins are like lemmings and sometimes and get focused on things. The gourds racks are so dominant here that I'm wondering if some late comers are so influenced to focus on the gourds that they can 't conceive of nesting in the house. Just trying to understand bird brains.

John M
bluetick

My New friend I just met on another site ( Robert from LA. ) told me the same thing. He said as long as I had it at the end of that row the birds would always take the gourds until they were full. He suggested I also move it to the middle. Thanks for the direction and also the nice comment on the site. Bluetick Dave
John Miller

Dave Another approach might be to separate it from the group entirely, if you have a location further out. I don't know "how much" further. It might not work. I can only speak to our scattered housing in Forest Park, 1,000 acres, in St. Louis. Martins disperse very evenly among five scattered sites of mostly Trendsetters, with one gourd rack. John
pmartinlover2
Martin Colony History: 2011 Home site--1 SY pair--2 fledged
2016 Satellite Site---4 pair--19 eggs laid--17 hatched--16 fledged
2017 Satellite Site--8 pair--37 eggs laid--34 hatched--34 fledged
2018 11 pair--fledged 60
2019 20 pair-fledged 94
2020 23pair-fledged 108

Dave, I keep coming back everyday to your photo of the sunrise in the fog. It's awesome, slightly eerie, but yet peaceful. You have a beautiful site. Thanks for sharing.

great pics dave your a wonderful landlord and a great friend
dick I'm extra happy today the doctor told my wife they got all the melanoma out of her. Praise God for that one
2015 69 pairs 418 eggs 396 fledged
2019 I have 148 openings now
2016 100 pairs 600 babies fledged added another t-14 and have 126 openings now
2015 Jun 24 360 babies and 58 eggs also found one that had died
2017 632 babies 11died and 20 were killed by hawks
2015 74 pairs and 9 eggs 5/14
2010 3pairss
]JOINED PMCA JUNE 6,2018
2018 651 babies 5 hawk kills 11 floater kills 25 died in houses and 610 fledged

2014 80 pairs 283 babies 282 fledged one died
Frank Clements

now that your pm family is moving on maybe you'll have time to drop the tailgate and let um run.
bluetick

This is just as the sun started to burn through the fog. Here is another one I took as I just got out there running out of the yard.
bluetick

This is the first one I took Jody. This doe was leaving in a hurry. I couldn't get it to come up until I got out of the other post and got back on the site. Mr. Frank my problem is not dropping the tail gate, it's retrieving what I turn loose.LOL! It is about time to get the dogs out. Good day to you. Bluetick Dave