They came back!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Annie G

The little family came back this evening for a short visit! They landed on the house but not for long.. :grin: yay!
Keep trying and keep your chin up, its easier to see the martins coming!!
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Alright! I am so happy for you! :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
Annie G

Sharon.. They came back again and are still here! Omg! :shock:
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Oh my! I bet you can't sit down! I know that's the way I would be, I will have trouble sleeping when I get my first pair! You have a lot to look forward to with that going on Annie. CONGRATS!!!!! :grin:
Annie G

Well they stayed until 8:15 last night. It was so neat to see and hear them again. You were right Sharon I couldn't sit down. I went from window to window watching them. My husband gave me (the look)
Next year will be your year Sharon. You've done everything right so what's not to like... :wink: here's hoping! Annie
taxidermy lady

Thanks much! We all try hard! That's the greatest we can do for our purple friends :lol:
Annie G

Update... I was gone all weekend and thought the family would have been gone when I got home but to my surprise they were still here. They stayed all afternoon yesterday landing on the house and power lines. :) They stayed here until just before dark and then we got a big storm. What a nice way to end the weekend. Annie
taxidermy lady

Wow you go girl! That I a such a thrill! I am so excited for you Annie :)
Chris B

Are you sure they were the same batch that hatched there? Yesterday morning around 8 I spotted what may have been 2 familys sitting on the power lines. After a while they all got up and went further south. I think they were just passing through but they are always welcome to stop in, take a dip, get a drink and maybe eat a dragonfly or two. The swampy pond still has plenty.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods. Birds did very well.
2020 56 SREH gourds.
Annie G

Thanks Sharon..it was great to see them again. :grin:
Chris.. I'm pretty sure they are the same ones because they were on the house and there was 7 like before. Two parents and 5 fledglings. I did not have any nest here this year but this family has been here on and off for over 2 weeks. I'm hoping its a good sign for next year tho.
Sounds like your getting some action too Chris.. :wink: I hope we all will have a good year next year. Annie
Chris B

I am planning on a good next year and will have one and hopefully two more racks up for them. Going to experiment with SREH entrances on larger natural gourds. I wish they were up now so the visitors could see a place for next year.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods. Birds did very well.
2020 56 SREH gourds.