A wonderful surprise!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Annie G

For the last week a subadult pair has kept their 5 fledglings at my site. They spend the entire day here! They spend time on my trendsetter and MSS 12 trio. It has been so exciting to have them here. They also have brought a lot of attention from other martins in the area. This have never happened here before in the 24 years of trying. Maybe it's a good sign for next year?? :shock:
Keep trying and keep your chin up, its easier to see the martins coming!!
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

Happy for you. Any Martin time is good Martin time!
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
2020-62 pair.
Annie G

Thank you Archer for taking the time to respond to my post. The family was back again all day. I think what was a subadult male entered acouple compartments on my trio today. :shock: Again..thank you!
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

That is super. You deserve all that Annie! That's a long wait :grin:
Have you been playing any cd's?
Sharon from southern Illinois
Bob

Annie, it sure sounds like a good sign for next year to me. Enjoy them while they are still at your site!!
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Annie,
A very good omen for the future. Enjoy all of the activity knowing that they are imprinting on your site.

Ed
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Congrat.s Annie ! That's what I call "Martin season part 2!" I Really get a kick out of being "gifted" with any P.M visits I get from here on-until they've all gone south, & for me being down here in Tx. , That's still awhile to go. GOOD LUCK, & enjoy!
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
Annie G

Thank you everyone for the comments and encouragement. I know you all are probably getting tired of me and my goings on after 24 years, but I really do appreciate you all sticking with me. :wink:
The family is back again today.. Although I do notice the fledglings are getting stronger because their flight trips are getting longer each day. I know very soon they will be gone to head south. Having them around has been so exciting and I am loving every minute. The parents are so protective .. They won't let any other male martins land on the house and chase them.
I am playing the dawn song on and off during the day. Usually early morning and late evening. (Not very loud either.)
Again.. Thank you all very much! I'm hoping next year will maybe be my year after all that's been going on around here. :roll: Ann
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Annie,

This is great to hear! I drove past one of our public sites this morning and they were all gone. I was wondering what they do from the time that they leave in the morning till they get back at night. Where are these birds hanging out at!

I have a new house at a township park about 7/10 th's of a mile away, which didn't attract any martins this year, but it would be so nice to see those birds hanging around that house like you have at yours!

Enjoy the time that they are there and we're all hoping that these same birds will start your colony next year!

Bill
Annie G

Thanks Bill.. Today was the first day they have not been here. :-( I knew this day would come but still bums me out a little. Yesterday they spent most of the day out flying and when they did come in the parents sat around with them not feeding. I guess they have learned to eat on their own.
I hope for the best for these young martins and that they may returned next year and also hope the best for you next year! Ann
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Annie I'm sure the parents are wanting a purple martin haven for their young and picked your site to start a colony. the young should remember to come back! I have a group that has been visiting! They come in and circle several times in the morning. I hope the young remember our address like Delma says!!! :lol:
Sharon from southern Illinois
pmlover

I"M glad for you Annie that's a sure sign they will be back
about 10 % of fledings come back to the area and your certainly on your way. Mine all coming back every night. I missed some of it last year because I was on vacation but now it is so much fun at 840 each night when they are all trying to get in their houses and 630 in the morning when they are feeding. I love these little guys and I wish you the best next year. I have also found out that the bigger your colony gets the longer in the year they stay. They used to stay until the end of july now its the end of august
DIck
2015 69 pairs 418 eggs 396 fledged
2019 I have 148 openings now
2016 100 pairs 600 babies fledged added another t-14 and have 126 openings now
2015 Jun 24 360 babies and 58 eggs also found one that had died
2017 632 babies 11died and 20 were killed by hawks
2015 74 pairs and 9 eggs 5/14
2010 3pairss
]JOINED PMCA JUNE 6,2018
2018 651 babies 5 hawk kills 11 floater kills 25 died in houses and 610 fledged

2014 80 pairs 283 babies 282 fledged one died
Ed Pace

Annie, have your birds been staying the nights also? I bet you will see them again before They leave.
Hope you get a bunch next year, you have erned it. Ed
Annie G

Sharon... Thanks and it sounds like next year will be your year with all the activity you had this summer. Maybe we both will get lucky and become landlords in 2015..
The family sure seemed to like it here especially to stick around so long. I've had other families visit in the past but none ever stayed .
Dick..thank you and I sure hope your right. Being able to watch them on a daily basis was a great experience. I can only imagine how neat it would be to actually have a colony and watch them from start to finish. I kinda got attached to the family even if they were only here for over a week. :roll:
Ed...I don't know for certain if they spent the night here, but when I got up in the morning around 4:30 5:00 they were already here. I guess I never watched because I always thought they weren't going to stay or be here the next day. Most of their time was spent on my trendsetter 8.. I have 4 crescent and 4 round holes. They liked the side that faces the river. I hope they do come back for a little visit. :) ( if they do I will post it) Annie