Green leaves?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Anyone know why an ASY Male would be bringing in green leaves to a nest that has 1 chick ready to fledge any day? Never saw this before.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Matt F.

That's intriguing Toy.
I wonder if your male is going for a second nesting cycle for this season?
That's exciting!
Keep us posted.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Matt F. wrote:That's intriguing Toy.
That's exciting!
Keep us posted.
Matt:

2nd nesting would be great, but their only chick hasn't fledged yet. I have chicks that just hatched from 2nd nesting a few days ago in another nest. They had lost their eggs due to cold temps. Got another nest, also lost their eggs due to cold temps, with 4 eggs waiting to hatch. Not sure if any will, but Momma is sitting on them.

I just flipped over 100 crickets. It's sprinkling today & we had pouring rain late yesterday. Actually we've had rain almost every day for several days....those blowing pouring t-storms have been hitting the northeast a lot this summer. The martins were all hungry & fed many crickets to their chicks. We just seem to have a major lack of bugs here the last few years. Could be pesticides, as our town & outlying areas are surrounded by corn fields.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
klcretired

a lot of times the pm's bring in Green leaves to hide the eggs/young and maybe for warmth and shelter them from sparrows/starlings
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
Matt F.

Maybe he's subtly showing the baby that it's time to leave?
Sort of like when parents suddenly start turning a kid's bedroom into something else (hobby room, workout room, etc.)? :mrgreen:
David W

I had 12 gourds up this year and had nests in all but only 9 were used. The last 4 eggs in one gourd were destroyed by house sparrows, also had one where the four eggs did not hatch. left them there and was nest checking one day and looked in and saw 2 fresh eggs. I haven't rechecked them in a week, but have young and fledged ones.
In some of the gourds that were not used, they were some mud dams and leaves, and expected eggs, but never got any.
It is great to see them in the evening and the other day it seemed they were all there flying around, great site to see.

Next year I will add 12 more gourds.
2013-4 gourds 4 pair
2014-12 gourds 7 nesting pair, 32 fledged
2015-24 gourds 21 nesting pair 79 fledged
2016-24 gourds 21 nesting pair 89 fledged
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

ToyinPA wrote:
That's exciting!
Keep us posted.
Matt:

2nd nesting would be great, but their only chick hasn't fledged yet. I have chicks that just hatched from 2nd nesting a few days ago in another nest. They had lost their eggs due to cold temps. Got another nest, also lost their eggs due to cold temps, with 4 eggs waiting to hatch. Not sure if any will, but Momma is sitting on them.

I just flipped over 100 crickets. It's sprinkling today & we had pouring rain late yesterday. Actually we've had rain almost every day for several days....those blowing pouring t-storms have been hitting the northeast a lot this summer. The martins were all hungry & fed many crickets to their chicks. We just seem to have a major lack of bugs here the last few years. Could be pesticides, as our town & outlying areas are surrounded by corn fields.

Toy in PA
Tony unless they do something different in PA than they do in KS I doubt they are spraying pesticides on the corn. That said the GM corn does reduce overall insect populations.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
ToyinPA

DornCounty wrote:
ToyinPA wrote:
That's exciting!
Keep us posted.
Matt:

Toy in PA
Tony unless they do something different in PA than they do in KS I doubt they are spraying pesticides on the corn. That said the GM corn does reduce overall insect populations.
These fields are used for seed corn ...Doblers Hybrids. I know for a fact they use pesticides. They used to spray via helicopters & planes. Now they use trucks so the whole town does get doused.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member