Banding in Wisconsin

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

The weather cooperated last saturday and 78 nestlings and I ASY female were banded under the auspices of the UW in Madison. The nestlings were all within 2 days of age. They were each weighed and measured for various metrics. Each received numbered federal bands on the left leg and a numbered red band on the right. 7 nests were too young for banding.

Two of last years banded nestlings were observed here this year. One a SY male and one a SY female. The SY male is still here but did not nest. The SY female was here for a couple days and moved on.

Thanks to Jim and Brian Thays for their able assistance again this year.

Ed
DakotaLady

That is pretty interesting to see just how many banded birds of yours show up at your colony the following season. Have you gotten many reports of your banded birds near by?
~Tangula~

2013 - 16 pair, 79 eggs, 71 fledged
2012 - 4 pair, 18 eggs, 18 fledged
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

There are relatively few managed colonies near me. The two that I have been involved with have been on the lookout but have not seen any banded birds.To be honest, unless I had been watching closely, I would not have seen the bands on my returning martins. Good quality binoculars are a must and a spotting scope is even better.

I think that there may be a better chance that they may see a banded martin this late summer after the 78 newly banded nestlings fledge and begin to explore the area before they head south.

Ed