Added a Sparrow Trap... "Outhouse"

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

I've added another HOSP trap to my arsenal, and it has been a good move. Bagged 3 HOSP in the past 2 days! This "Outhouse" is a standard Lowe's type BB house outfitted with a Van Ert Trap and painted white. It is on an elec counduit pipe over a rebar ground stake. I have it right next to the base of my PM Trendsetter house, but it does not obstruct access.

In exasperation 3 days ago, I placed the new trap, and closed the PM housing - removing the decoys, extra perches, and gourds. Totally spent and discouraged. But a pair of PMs buzzing circles renewed my hope and I opened 8 compartments later that day.

[URL=http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
dckenney

Hello MamaBruff

Your setup looks great to me. You have trees around your house as do I but I did move my gourd rack back another 30 feet. I was so praying for you to get more martins this year and it still can happen. I have had about 4 more martins staying around most of the day . I am not sure they are going to start nesting. It is just about time for 5 babies to fledge and the same thing happened last year only it was about a month later. When they fledge I will do another nest check to look for more eggs. Keep your housing open it is not too late.

chris
klcretired

Good for you Mary...you get em girl!!!!
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.

Thanks, I know my chances are slim this year, for whatever reason. I do have plans to move my setup about 45 ft to the west to increase my chances next year. Flyways are more open there. In the meantime, I keep learning from martin care discussion here, and trying to figure out ways to outwit the S&S! Kathy F had told me to place a house close to the PM setup- and it worked!
https://picasaweb.google.com/TheBruffet ... directlink
~Mary B~

pmlover

mamma you definitely need the 3 zone flightway and any trees in the way will drastically hurt your chances of a strong colony. I cut down three of 4 apple trees that got to big. The only reason I left that one up is they love to land on it to get leaves. Got luck with the rest of this year. I also think the birds are actually more attracted to gourds.
Dick
2015 69 pairs 418 eggs 396 fledged
2019 I have 148 openings now
2016 100 pairs 600 babies fledged added another t-14 and have 126 openings now
2015 Jun 24 360 babies and 58 eggs also found one that had died
2017 632 babies 11died and 20 were killed by hawks
2015 74 pairs and 9 eggs 5/14
2010 3pairss
]JOINED PMCA JUNE 6,2018
2018 651 babies 5 hawk kills 11 floater kills 25 died in houses and 610 fledged

2014 80 pairs 283 babies 282 fledged one died
MamaBruff

I ordered the ground stake today, and marked my new spot in the yard, so am already preparing for 2015. I'm counting on good fledge numbers from area colonies that DO have purple martins! Incidentally, I DO have 4 THGs which I recently took down (along with the extra perches and decoys) in a moment of deep discouragement. They have never had a martin stay in them. The only spots that have been occupied were in the house itself. BTW, I have noticed since removing the gourds, that the house doesn't hardly sway or rock in the wind now.... Hmm, if the new site proves successful, I may just have to add a gourd rack! :grin:
~Mary B~

starling shooter

You need four gourds hung under that house!!

Plus, if you paint a black circle on the backs and sides of your bluebird houes it will be even more viible to a passing sparrow.

Kind of like bugs bunny but I've seen starlings try and go in the painted hole when I have a trapped on inside!!!
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Your place is so beautiful and I am highly impressed with your computer skills!
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
MamaBruff

Thank you!
I DO have 4 gourds that normally ARE hanging under the house...

AND... Just now, my sweet hubby said "I want you to put a gourd rack in that new location; leave the house where it is!" YIPPEE!! :lol:

So NOW I need info on Gourd Racks!! :shock:

:grin: :grin: :grin:
~Mary B~

RC Moser

IMO you don't have to cut down the trees if you are remotely thinking of that. I have trees on three sides and my house about 30 yards clearing. I even have house above my detached garage about 15 feet with trees on the other end have had martin in that house for 14 years. PMs do just fine zipping in and out feeding and going to roost. I get between 40 and 50 pairs each year.

If moving makes you feel better fine, but I wouldn't cut down no trees if you have some clearing IMO. I place my houses where I can easily shoot the S&S off both sides and I can monitor both sides. Agree with others about cooper's and sharp shined hawk being able to get close unseen, but the ambush open areas also.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Mary I like the one my sons got me for Mother's Day. I don't know where they got it. But it slides up and down so nice. It is called expandable gourd rack and PMCA have it. It comes with 6 gourds. Then later you can expand it to 6 more gourds. It is super nice. :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

I love the K series ones that JL has.
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
MamaBruff

My forum friends are the most clever and wonderful people in the world! Thanks for the input and advice, I need it! Mom always said you can never know it all, so keep learning!

Yes, I know I should have put the gourds back under the house when I opened it back up after my hissy fit. I just don't see the point now. Nobirdy's coming. So I will do what I can to make my site irresistible to martins in 2015; and continue to cheer on other landlords this year. It will be landlording vicariously!

We don't plan to cut any trees, and the new site is close enough to my house that I can monitor without obsessing. I'm a poor shot, but there is a bit of 6' fencing by my patio that I can now use as a blind- so I might improve! I think it being more open will appear safer as well. Although I am still shocked that Hubby is on board with a gourd rack, I'm thinking that I should keep 2 gourds under the house to make it more appealing. The old site can just revert to open lawn for Human activities like ball game, etc. (and mowing of course!)

I like the idea of painting fake holes on my outhouse! I will put one on the ST/HS trap too! :twisted:
~Mary B~

taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Your hubby loves you and wants to make things good for you. Shows he is a good man! :)
MamaBruff

Thanks! :grin:

PS I went out and put 2 gourds back under the house, just to look like I mean it- just in case a miracle occurs.
~Mary B~

DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

be sure to pick gourds that are easy to trap out of ... my experience is gourds are the hardest to get S & S out of.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
MamaBruff

Andrew,
The only gourd type I have is the Troyer Horizontal with Tunnels and ConleyII entrance and added Lewis style raised porches. The simple Troyer-Haskell trap is a snap to use, and very effective. Sometimes I get a pair of HOSP at once!... But the Trendsetter House is a different animal entirely when it comes to trapping! Oh, BTW, with 2 gourds back under it now, the house is dancing a tango again. Wind is gusting 17-20, which is normal for my place. Wondering if I should just plan on segregating my housing types? Gourd Rack have all gourds, and House just a house? I see your Trios in town are Houses only. Any suggestions?
Thanks
~Mary B~

BuddyS

Mary, I'm no expert, but I think you have a perfect location. It's easy to second guess and think that you are doing something wrong, but I don't think you are. I would kill to have the open space you have!
I did not notice a predator guard attached. Could there have been a snake scare or anything that would have put the PMs on edge?

Buddy
Buddy Sowell
MamaBruff

Buddy,

Thank you for your kind words. IDK why I have no martins this year, but it seems to be the case in my area that many new/small colonies are vacant- the martins have just not returned in normal numbers here. I also wonder how many early arrivals perished this spring from the Weather and Starling predation... So the reason I am thinking about shifting my site a little and adding a gourd rack is to make it more attractive next year... anything to get a couple of pair to call my place home. If I can accomplish that, then things SHOULD start to pick up.

I haven't put a predator guard on in 2014 because I haven't had a pair stay and nest. Only ONE ASYM for 3 weeks. (He still visits and makes my heart skip a beat) I had nothing to protect this year, and frequent house lowering for HOSP control... Last year, my first year, with only 1 pair and a handful of bachelors, I had the quick release guard and snake netting up, and a solar night light. 2 hatched, one fledged. 63HS and 32ST eliminated. I considered it a successful year.
~Mary B~

taxidermy lady

Yeah I dropped every house and gourd rack today and all I have is mud dobblers and wasp. Wish those things could be shot :lol: