Another reason why Purple Martins should come to my site...

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

The bluejays, robins, and mockers were throwing a big loud fit, screaming and screaming in the back yard. I walked down to investigate, and there was a 5' long, shiny, black rat snake slowly making its way from the storage shed to the woods nearby. I didn't see any lumps, but figured it had eaten recently to be moving so slowly. Great. So I zipped back into the house and grabbed some gloves and a tall kitchen bag. I slipped the bag over my arm like a sleeve and hurried back for the snake. It hadn't moved very far and froze as I approached. I reached for its head, missed, and it coiled into a ball. So I quickly scooped it into the bag and tied it shut. Said reptile went for a nice ride in my PT Cruiser to a brushy area a couple of miles away.

I half expected a Disney style welcome when I got back home, but not one bird flew down to my shoulder or even swooped in singing sweetly. :???:
Oh well. But at least the peace was restored and the birds were happily singing and going about their business as usual.

I am the Mistress of Defense.
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
DakotaLady

Well, those ungrateful guests you house are not worthy of your defense. LOL. That was a nice gesture on your part. Not sure I could have picked up a snake. UGH! I sure hope you get martins you deserve them!
~Tangula~

2013 - 16 pair, 79 eggs, 71 fledged
2012 - 4 pair, 18 eggs, 18 fledged
birdbrat

You are my kind of woman! I had one a few years back that I spotted while mowing. No time to lose, I jumped off the mower, scooped him up, and yelled for my son to get me a pillowcase. In the mean time I walked,with it coiling around my arm, over to the door to wait for the "bag". Mine too made its way to a nice secluded wooded area but not before both my sons got to hold it. Snakes are wonderful creatures. I just didn't want it to have a martin meal. I remember my dad's words to this day. When I was growing up he would tell me (and my 4 siblings) "if it's not poisonous, leave it alone." My dad died a early death, he was the age that I am now, but I remember so well the lessons of nature that he taught to me and I try my best to pass those lessons forward. I'm sure he wouldn't have even liked for me to relocate that beautiful creature, but I'm sure if he knew the reason he would understand. It is so good to know that your snake got a second chance as well. It's really not their fault that we build them a smorgasbord of martins.
Matt F.

MamaBruff wrote: half expected a Disney style welcome when I got back home, but not one bird flew down to my shoulder or even swooped in singing sweetly. :???:
Oh well. But at least the peace was restored and the birds were happily singing and going about their business as usual.

I am the Mistress of Defense.
Mary,
That is classic! :lol:
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.

Well, I figured that since I can't talk about all the martins and eggs I don't have, I might as well talk about site maintenance, keeping things ready to go. Nothing like a true snake story for a little diversion, LOL!! :lol:
~Mary B~

KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Mary, so glad your sense of humor is still intact! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ms. Snow White! :grin:

I wish I could will the martins to your site. :wink:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Mary,
I like the Snow White image as proposed by Kathy.

I keep thinking:
Mary, Mary,
Quite contrary,
How does your colony grow?

Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
MamaBruff

I think the Evil Migration Queen fed them some kind of Time Confusion Spell. I am hoping my True Love and Perseverance will break the Spell...

For this is how my colony grows;
The neighbor has a pair,
See a martin in the air,
And empty compartments all in rows.

Thank you all for your interest and encouragement. :) One day, I will have purple martins again... If not this year, then the next. All will be well.
~Mary B~

Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Mary, a landlord in Carl Junction just got his first pair, a subbie pair, two days ago. Although getting late, it's not too late. Hoping for the best.

Tim
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged
pmlover

mama I'm praying for you
jl yes snakes are great mulch lol
2015 69 pairs 418 eggs 396 fledged
2019 I have 148 openings now
2016 100 pairs 600 babies fledged added another t-14 and have 126 openings now
2015 Jun 24 360 babies and 58 eggs also found one that had died
2017 632 babies 11died and 20 were killed by hawks
2015 74 pairs and 9 eggs 5/14
2010 3pairss
]JOINED PMCA JUNE 6,2018
2018 651 babies 5 hawk kills 11 floater kills 25 died in houses and 610 fledged

2014 80 pairs 283 babies 282 fledged one died
MamaBruff

Thank you! I hope our prayers are answered with a big fat "YES"!!
We noticed that there were a few more Martins along the way back from the Beaver Lake (Benton Co, AR) this morning. One colony of 4 houses east of Pea Ridge was full of martins. But none here when we arrived home. What has happened to my Precious? :roll: 20 days late and counting....
~Mary B~