MamaBruff have you seen any martins?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dhjohnson
Martin Colony History: 5th year hostess. Currently 58 confirmed breeding pair. 218 Fledged, 35 older nestlings, 2 new nests with 8 nestlings. 100% occupancy

Hi Mary,
You've been too quiet! Have you seen any martins? I know you posted earlier that you had an ASY male that finally left.

It's actually more troublesome when you are second and third year hosts! We get a taste of the joys and anxieties of hosting those martins and then they are late or no shows. How do we deal with that? Hope you have been playing the dawnsong this season! Hope you have seen some SY activity!
Let us know how you are!
Debbie
Debbie Johnson
Clayton/NC (Archer Lodge)
2012 New Site 6 pair, 21 Fledged
2013 24 pair, 102 eggs, 94 hatched, 89 Fledged. What a great year!
2014 37 pair, 211 eggs, 193 Hatched, 178 Fledged, 1 nest of 5 young left! Late start but picked up speed quickly!
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

Thanks for asking, Debbie! Sorry, I just didn't post much when I was feeling "down"... However, I have moved on now, from disappointment to acceptance. It will be what it will be. I have done just about all I can possibly do. Honestly I expected 2 to 4 pair this year. But the only martins I am seeing here in my area are the same three martins, that is, my Romeo and the ASYM/SYF pair he has been hanging around with at a neighbor's colony. They circle and swoop here regularly, and Romeo always announces his arrival and lands briefly. He could be one of the ASYMs or Subbie Bachelors from last year. He sure acts like one SY that was here, so bubbly and vocal, full of enthusiasm. Poor fella, will he get a girl this year? I wonder when and if "his" and "my" birds are coming... Even the influx of subbies like last year has not happened yet. So far, 15 days late and counting...:roll:

(PS My theory is that all the birds here are late because of last year's late cold spring weather, which likely killed many older martins. So the younger and SYs were the ones that nested-late, and migrated-late.)
Last edited by MamaBruff on Thu May 29, 2014 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Yeah Mary it just seems odd that these birds can't find a mate. That one ASY male that was fighting with a female my ASY brought in probably is breeding with more than one female? He is like someone I know :lol:
Sharon from southern Illinois
dhjohnson
Martin Colony History: 5th year hostess. Currently 58 confirmed breeding pair. 218 Fledged, 35 older nestlings, 2 new nests with 8 nestlings. 100% occupancy

Mary,
I can identify with your frustration! Glad you are gathering it back up for another frontal attack in luring another pair in. Remember the sweet memories from last year and seek to reclaim them in the future. You have done nothing wrong but everything right. If Romeo is successful attracting another female...he will probably bring her home for that MamaBruff nod of approval!
Hang in there Mary, It's certainly been a hard year for the martins and worse for those of us looking for their return
Put it back together, you did it last year and can do it again. Another pair will arrive to be a part of your future!
Hopeful you get some activity...miss your enthusiastic posts!
Debbie
Debbie Johnson
Clayton/NC (Archer Lodge)
2012 New Site 6 pair, 21 Fledged
2013 24 pair, 102 eggs, 94 hatched, 89 Fledged. What a great year!
2014 37 pair, 211 eggs, 193 Hatched, 178 Fledged, 1 nest of 5 young left! Late start but picked up speed quickly!
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.

Thanks Deb. I appreciate the warm, encouraging pat on the back! Needed that! (As do all of us who are still waiting) Sorry, my enthusiasm is in "Park" at the moment. However, I am hopeful that the predicted "wave" will soon arrive... I did have a lone pale breasted martin silently buzz my site today, but it did not land. So maybe... tomorrow... 16 days late and counting... :roll:
~Mary B~

DakotaLady

Aww Mary, I am so sorry that you do not have your pair back. I had that happen to me in 2008 had 1 pair...nothing in 2009, then 1 pair again in 2010 and nothing in 2011. It is such a let down after waiting all winter for them and more to come back and fill up your housing.

I have my fingers crossed that you will see that influx of SY martins and get a couple to stay at your housing. Keep the faith. They will eventually find your housing and build your colony. Hang in there.
~Tangula~

2013 - 16 pair, 79 eggs, 71 fledged
2012 - 4 pair, 18 eggs, 18 fledged
MamaBruff

Thank you for the kind encouragement. You totally understand b/c you have been there. Don't worry, I'm hanging in for the long haul... :wink:
~Mary B~